will you buy a pinephone pro and when?
i will buy pp pro as soon as possible (before spring 2022)
22.58%
i will buy pp pro later
16.13%
i will buy ordinary pp instead of pp pro
6.45%
i will not buy pp or pp pro (anytime soon)
19.35%
uncertain at this time
35.48%
31 vote(s)
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

will you buy pp pro and when, poll
Uncertain.

I have a PinePhone the hardware still has new bugs being discovered. To me the Pro particularly at the price it costs is a risky choice to make based on the ongoing PinePhone experience and what I have seen with other Pine64 devices. I think, inevitably, the Pro has hardware bugs that will be discovered as time passes -- and at some point Pine64 will reach an exit point and stop updating the motherboard and stop addressing hardware bugs. Issues may have a workaround found eventually like for example the issue with making the LCD panel operate properly at 60Hz or the Type C adaptor work fully.
I'll get one as soon as it's available. I'm very happy with my current Pine Phone, and although it does everything I need it to do, I can't do too many things at once. I don't have the convergence version, so I've only got 2 Gigs of RAM. I'd love to be able to have a few Firefox tabs open, and have protonmail bridge running with Thunderbird open without having to worry about it freezing. If I can get 4 gigs of ram and a stronger processor I'd be cruising.

Quote:In a nutshell: if you are an existing PinePhone owner and your only wish is for the device to be more powerful and refined, then the PinePhone Pro is for you.
https://www.pine64.org/pinephonepro/

The quote above describes me exactly. I'm willing to pay $400 to Pine64, that's no issue. What they do for open source hardware is worth supporting.
  • PinePhone BraveHeart, needs modem replaced, used for experimenting with new OS's.
  • PinePhone Manjaro Community v1.2b 2G/16Gb Daily Driver
  • Pinebook Pro Arch Linux, Daily Driver
"uncertain at this time" -> The performance and especially the better camera is interesting, but it will depend on the power comsuption/battery life of the PinePhone Pro (compared to the classic PinePhone) in a few months... Wink
Using encrypted Mobian (bookworm) on pmOS CE Convergence PinePhone (3GB/32GB) as Daily Driver, and Beta Edition Convergence PinePhone (3GB/32GB) with encrypted Mobian (bookworm) as Backup device.
i think some kind early conclusions can be made, although these polls are innaccurate anyway.

result are mixed somewhat equally, others do not buy and others buy asap. although buying ordinary pp was low. somewhere in the middle votes were highest, either certain or later pp pro. i was expecting that middle options get the lowest votes. so, results were little surprising to me.

these have been said already in some way. i voted "later pp pro". my use case is enough for ordinary pp, so is higher price for pp pro justified, we will see, i hope that battery life won't be awful. at the moment two ordinary pp's might be better than one pp pro.
I might upgrade to the Pro eventually but I kind of like how the current version is inexpensive enough to be no big deal if it dies. I can just put my micro SD into a new one and continue on as normal while repairing the old one.
I won't be getting it while my OG PinePhone continues to serve me well (which should be a while because I don't use it too much), but if it should die for some reason, I'll definitely consider the Pro. Hopefully there will be enough power management improvements by then to get about the same battery life as with the standard version, at least.

OTOH, since I'm not averse to doing some minor repairs if they should be needed, there may well be another open source phone by the time my current PinePhone truly reaches the end of its useful life.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Poll: What is your favorite distro/interface for the PinePhone? amosbatto 8 10,972 02-01-2022, 07:47 AM
Last Post: amosbatto
  Poll 2: What is your favorite distro/interface for the PinePhone? amosbatto 3 3,566 12-01-2021, 04:36 PM
Last Post: bcnaz
  Poll 4: What is your favorite distro/interface for the PinePhone? amosbatto 7 6,453 02-11-2021, 09:58 AM
  Poll 3: What is your favorite distro/interface for the PinePhone? amosbatto 0 1,544 02-01-2021, 07:57 AM
  Poll: Interface used on the PinePhone amosbatto 11 14,672 09-13-2020, 02:56 PM
Last Post: fsflover