Convergence tracking website
In the last couple days, I've started building a website that will hopefully make it easier for the linux community to keep track of what apps are convergent (what works on mouse+keyboard, touch screen, does it fit on a phone screen). This started as a learning project for me but I think this might actually be super handy.

Here's a super rough draft/mockup of what the home page would look like. Is this something a lot of people other than me would be interested in?

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Here's an updated, slightly less rough-drafty version of the home page. ATM this is only pulling info from apps on flathub.org, but once it's functional enough to go live, I'll begin working on adding apps form other sources

@gamerminstrel Sounds like a cool idea, especially if the information would be maintained and kept up to date. But I personally would prefer if this was available as a category in Software app. I doubt that's going to happen though, so a website will be nice too Smile.
(11-07-2021, 11:28 AM)beta-user Wrote: @gamerminstrel Sounds like a cool idea, especially if the information would be maintained and kept up to date. But I personally would prefer if this  was available as a category in Software app. I doubt that's going to happen though, so a website will be nice too Smile.

Part of my logic in making this a website is that it will be able to track apps from all different sources, like flathub, the debian Repos, AUR, etc.
Think of how ProtonDB works for logging what steam games work using Proton on linux, and how people post their tricks to get things working.  Having a central place for people to work together on that might help progress.

This is a lot of work but honestly Im having fun with it and it's something I want, so look forward to it!

Here's my progress from this weekend too:

(11-07-2021, 01:10 PM)gamerminstrel Wrote: Think of how ProtonDB works for logging what steam games work using Proton on linux, and how people post their tricks to get things working.  Having a central place for people to work together on that might help progress.

ProtonDB is confusing for me. There is Proton and there is Wine, which has a separate site (https://appdb.winehq.org). ProtonDB seems to be dedicated to Steam, which is not the only games store and I think Steam applies custom config to each game? So when I want to buy a Windows game outside of Steam I don't know if I should count ProtonDB results. I think it's a mess and it seems we might end up having the same problem with mobile apps on GNU/Linux. I'm not blaming you for this, of course. I'm just wondering if there is a better solution.

(11-07-2021, 01:10 PM)gamerminstrel Wrote: Here's my progress from this weekend too:

Looks nice!
(11-07-2021, 11:28 AM)beta-user Wrote: @gamerminstrel Sounds like a cool idea, especially if the information would be maintained and kept up to date. But I personally would prefer if this  was available as a category in Software app. I doubt that's going to happen though, so a website will be nice too Smile.

This needs two things:
1. metadata to indicate capabilities adding to the apps/packages
2. Package managers (Software app etc.) being able to filter using this metadata

For metadata see https://linmob.net/phosh-0-12-app-drawer/ and follow the links down the rabbit hole for .desktop entries and what's going on with AppStream and Flatpak. Submitting issues or pull requests to get such metadata into upstream apps will help - such as https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/geary/-/m...quests/707

I haven't looked at what package managers are doing, but if there aren't already issues for this it would be worth creating them.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Rainbow New Pinephone for sale, Beta w Convergence Package megst 0 708 07-26-2022, 11:40 AM
Last Post: megst
  WTS: (Rarely used) Pinephone Beta Edition with Convergence Package - DHL shipping vatin 3 1,902 05-25-2022, 04:31 PM
Last Post: vatin
  Selling Pinephone PostmarketOS Convergence Edition pentamassiv 0 1,032 03-22-2022, 06:33 PM
Last Post: pentamassiv
  Cannot boot from SD on Convergence 3 GB model Natzer 10 5,649 01-24-2022, 05:54 AM
Last Post: wibble
  Selling Pinephone Convergence Edition gibeya6220 0 974 01-03-2022, 05:53 AM
Last Post: gibeya6220
  PinePhone to sell ; Community Edition Manjaro + Convergence Package Gribouille 6 4,963 11-28-2021, 06:52 AM
Last Post: Gribouille
  Pinephone 3/32GB , convergence, beta edition for sale -- Europe(Czech republice) pom3ranc 3 3,136 06-16-2021, 02:46 PM
Last Post: piner67
  After flashing UT on eMMC Convergence package not working anymore dfjdw8 0 1,500 06-11-2021, 12:28 AM
Last Post: dfjdw8
  Convergence beta edition for sale - UK AndroidMancave 2 2,366 05-31-2021, 11:20 AM
Last Post: AndroidMancave
  Shipping stuck on creating label, tracking complaints wizardofthemodem 3 3,444 05-04-2021, 03:26 PM
Last Post: zvand