Best OS where most of the things work?
Currently I've tried Arch Phosh and KDE which comes with PinePhone.   So far Tmobile calls, sms work.

Mobile data doesnt.  Not sure why.  Deleted the APN, recreated with info from Tmobile.   Is there a distro that just works with the 3 basics I need (calls, sms, mobile data).
Mobian, Arch, and Post Market all have working cellular 'data'

Try them from a micro sd card, a great way to test different operating systems on the Pine phone.

You can find name brand, 16gb micro sd cards for $5 > $6 USD, plenty big for testing operating systems... swap the cards in just a minute.
      LINUX = CHOICES
         **BCnAZ**
               Idea
   Donate to $upport
your favorite OS Team
Plasma Mobile can be weird at times.
I once experienced that mobile data didn't work for a long time, I kept deleting and re-adding the correct APN, I gave up out of frustration, and after a while of lying around idle mobile data all of the sudden started to work.
母語は日本語ですが、英語も喋れます(ry
(10-31-2021, 11:40 PM)ryo Wrote: Plasma Mobile can be weird at times.
I once experienced that mobile data didn't work for a long time, I kept deleting and re-adding the correct APN, I gave up out of frustration, and after a while of lying around idle mobile data all of the sudden started to work.

I'm back to testing Phosh even though I dont like the layout.  Seeing if I lose cellular/data like on Plasma because of suspend.
Ubuntu Touch
(10-30-2021, 11:57 PM)bcnaz Wrote: Mobian, Arch, and Post Market all have working cellular 'data'

Try them from a micro sd card, a great way to test different operating systems on the Pine phone.

You can find name brand, 16gb micro sd cards for $5 > $6 USD, plenty big for testing operating systems... swap the cards in just a minute.

Seconded, Ubuntu Touch generally seems to be in good working state.
I've been having a good experience with Arch and SXMO. The latter takes a bit to get used to (and it definitely helps knowing a bit of shell scripting and linux utilities). Mobile data works well and I've even been able to generate a wifi hotspost to connect to the internet on my laptop throug the phone.
wifi and mobile data work well except when there is more traffic in one place, but that's not the fault of the phone it's more of the operator that I use the number.
(10-30-2021, 12:45 PM)Athemagicm Wrote: Currently I've tried Arch Phosh and KDE which comes with PinePhone.   So far Tmobile calls, sms work.

Mobile data doesnt.  Not sure why.  Deleted the APN, recreated with info from Tmobile.   Is there a distro that just works with the 3 basics I need (calls, sms, mobile data).

Have you tried "Adding"  the APN  instead ?

Use the  +  icon in the upper right corner.

I found that deleting did not work.

Hope that helps ?
      LINUX = CHOICES
         **BCnAZ**
               Idea
   Donate to $upport
your favorite OS Team
Arch has been a solid DD on Verizon for several months
(11-26-2021, 08:48 AM)bitcompact Wrote: Ubuntu Touch
(10-30-2021, 11:57 PM)bcnaz Wrote: Mobian, Arch, and Post Market all have working cellular  'data'

Try them from a micro sd card,  a great way to test different operating systems on the Pine phone.

You can find name brand, 16gb micro sd cards for $5 > $6 USD,  plenty big for testing operating systems...  swap the cards in just a minute.

Seconded, Ubuntu Touch generally seems to be in good working state.

I have also tested ubuntu touch and everything seemed to work as well as a reasonably rich app collection available all optimized for mobile.
I came from using a N900 which is a real gnu-linux device and had dabbled with ubuntu touch with a tablet years ago.  With pinephone I do not think it is burdened by unfamiliar libhybris android-like bloat but it is still not a standard Linux experience, so I am living in a Mobian world and that world is not really ready for everyday use.
I would love to see the opened up N900-like UI from Maemo Leste move forward(based on deuvian so no systemd too) as I feel it is a better more usable UI than phosh though I do not think you can make phonecalls yet.
the big app I would like to see is something that works for audio books, maybe someone can get https://github.com/gpodder/panucci working, I can compile it for Ubuntu but I get python errors running it that it can't find itself... That and at least Mobian on Pinephone needs better battery life.
Code:
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/bin/panucci", line 64, in <module>
    from panucci import main
ImportError: No module named panucci

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  PureTalk work with Pinephone? car46999 6 2,670 01-30-2023, 12:05 AM
Last Post: car46999
  likely bug, volte does not work when operator side data blockage is activated zetabeta 1 1,221 05-21-2022, 03:03 PM
Last Post: zetabeta
  SD nonfunctional, how is support supposed to work? slomobile 6 3,873 01-18-2022, 07:02 PM
Last Post: slomobile
Sad LTE data does not work on T-Mobile US with latest postmarketOS 21.06 SP3 PacificSinewave 1 1,334 11-07-2021, 10:15 AM
Last Post: beta-user
  Lets discuss the GPS. Who has got it to work? AwHereWeGoAgain 8 6,170 09-17-2021, 01:29 PM
Last Post: KNERD
  What OS will actually work with phone calls? Nutmeg 16 11,639 08-07-2021, 11:01 AM
Last Post: mouffa
  Will the Pinephone work with Vodafone in Romania? MirceaKitsune 2 2,705 05-30-2021, 09:42 AM
Last Post: MirceaKitsune
  First Time Password 123456 does not work (SOLVED) OggieDoggie 0 1,689 11-06-2020, 09:14 PM
Last Post: OggieDoggie
  With what image(s) does phoning fully work? LinAdmin2 13 13,708 10-04-2020, 09:06 PM
Last Post: SwordfishII
  Can I buy and use a PinePhone in China? Will it work out of China? Dumbr 2 3,994 09-21-2020, 03:25 PM
Last Post: tllim