Idea: Pinecil wood burning tip (pyrography)?
Just an idea.. I know it's not Pine's core business and there are plenty of cheap okay wood burners, but it would be a nice extra to have a wood burning tip as the Pinecil is portable (with a powerbank/lipo) and an extra tip is more compact than an extra device..

Searching for a Pinecil/TS-100 wood burning tip, all I found was this hot-knife tip for cutting ropes, with no reviews on it's claimed wood burning ability:
https://1upracing.com/product/1up-racing...knife-tip/

Maybe affordable wood burning tips could be made to screw on to the hammerhead tip's shaft with an adapter that changes the thread to the one on commonly available tips (maybe not optimal for heat dissipation and long tip length)..
It seems 8-32 thread tips are common on cheap irons like Walnut Hollow in the USA. Other solid-point burners like TruArt use M4 x 0.7 thread tips. I don't know which ones are best available worldwide..
(10-27-2021, 05:25 PM)ijsbeer Wrote: Just an idea.. I know it's not Pine's core business and there are plenty of cheap okay wood burners, but it would be a nice extra to have a wood burning tip as the Pinecil is portable (with a powerbank/lipo) and an extra tip is more compact than an extra device..

Searching for a Pinecil/TS-100 wood burning tip, all I found was this hot-knife tip for cutting ropes, with no reviews on it's claimed wood burning ability:

Maybe affordable wood burning tips could be made to screw on to the hammerhead tip's shaft with an adapter that changes the thread to the one on commonly available tips (maybe not optimal for heat dissipation and long tip length)..
It seems 8-32 thread tips are common on cheap irons like Walnut Hollow in the USA. Other solid-point burners like TruArt use M4 x 0.7 thread tips. I don't know which ones are best available worldwide..

The tip at 1upracing,com looks like the TS-K tip in the Pinecil gross tip set.
(10-27-2021, 09:25 PM)tllim Wrote:
(10-27-2021, 05:25 PM)ijsbeer Wrote: Just an idea.. I know it's not Pine's core business and there are plenty of cheap okay wood burners, but it would be a nice extra to have a wood burning tip as the Pinecil is portable (with a powerbank/lipo) and an extra tip is more compact than an extra device..

The tip at 1upracing,com looks like the TS-K tip in the Pinecil gross tip set.

Thanks for your reply, I just ordered the gross tip set, so that would be very practical!

Would this tip hold up to wood burning (and cutting ropes) equally long as the purpose-built wood burning tips?
(10-28-2021, 04:07 AM)ijsbeer Wrote:
(10-27-2021, 09:25 PM)tllim Wrote: The tip at 1upracing,com looks like the TS-K tip in the Pinecil gross tip set.

Thanks for your reply, I just ordered the gross tip set, so that would be very practical!

Would this tip hold up to wood burning (and cutting ropes) equally long as the purpose-built wood burning tips?

No idea, this tip original intent for soldering, not wood burning. If wood burning works well, happy to know ;-)
I thought that the whole point behind putting a processor in a soldering iron was to monitor the energy signature and match the phase change profile of the solder?  When the solder changes from the solid phase to the liquid phase, there's no need to apply enough energy to make the tip hotter, simply maintain the temperature, that way the solder flows and the tip never gets too hot or too cold.  What's going to happen when your wood doesn't melt?
***   Don't be a minion in the (i)droid army   ***

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Does Pinecil v1 support hakko T12 style tip? xsetiadi 1 1,013 02-02-2024, 03:30 PM
Last Post: SooperPoopyPants
Question Pinecil tip for installing threaded inserts? smcleod 4 1,702 09-11-2023, 06:36 PM
Last Post: kifujin
  Pinecil V2 -boards only DrYak 1 1,603 08-30-2022, 03:59 AM
Last Post: DrYak
  Pinecil 24V mod alex_grach 1 3,104 07-06-2022, 10:35 AM
Last Post: dreieck
  Broken pinecil (?) sh4ttered 2 2,375 02-16-2022, 01:50 AM
Last Post: sh4ttered