Let's discusse improvements of hardware such as:

1) gps
2) nfc
3) nrf52840? (more flash and ram)
4) mag
5) gyro
6) PMIC for power consume
7) RTC battry
This discussion should really involve the hardware and software developers...

Quote:Let's discusse improvements of hardware such as:
1) gps
2) nfc
4) mag
5) gyro
7) RTC battry

You somehow posted in insane micro-font. I'll address your points individually.

Quote:1) gps

This requires quite a large chip, which is quite expensive and requires quite some designing for proper signal pick-up.

Quote:2) nfc

I assume this is for some idea to pay using the watch? Whilst the idea is interesting, I don't think this negates the need for a phone, and if so, why not just use your phone?

Quote:3) nrf52840? (more flash and ram)

What application do you have in mind that requires more resources? Is there some limit you find yourself running into?

Quote:4) mag

Maybe this could be useful for navigation, but is pretty redundant without GPS. If you rely on a phone for GPS, then you may as well use the phone's magnetometer too.

Quote:5) gyro

It already has this.

Quote:6) PMIC for power consume

Is the current power consumption not acceptable? It lasts *weeks*.

Quote:7) RTC battry

As long as you keep the PineTime charged, this really isn't an issue. It even recovers the time during a reboot now. I've not noticed any real drift as of yet and I've kept mine disconnected from my phone for quite some time.

Maybe there could be some nice to haves:

- Some people appear to enjoy e-ink displays, and in theory this would allow for the watch-face to always remain "on" whilst consuming little to no power.

- I always thought that WiFi could be interesting to allow phone-less operation. I imagine you could pull notifications, etc, via a network. That would really depend on an NRF chip existing for that purpose.

- If you could get WiFi, a microphone would be awesome.

That said, it is also pretty nice how it is.
(10-27-2021, 06:45 AM)barray Wrote: This discussion should really involve the hardware and software developers...

Quote:Let's discusse improvements of hardware such as:
1) gps
2) nfc
4) mag
5) gyro
7) RTC battry

You somehow posted in insane micro-font. I'll address your points individually.

This requires quite a large chip, which is quite expensive and requires quite some designing for proper signal pick-up.

Quote:2) nfc

I assume this is for some idea to pay using the watch? Whilst the idea is interesting, I don't think this negates the need for a phone, and if so, why not just use your phone?

Quote:3) nrf52840? (more flash and ram)

What application do you have in mind that requires more resources? Is there some limit you find yourself running into?

Quote:4) mag

Maybe this could be useful for navigation, but is pretty redundant without GPS. If you rely on a phone for GPS, then you may as well use the phone's magnetometer too.

Quote:5) gyro

It already has this.

Quote:6) PMIC for power consume

Is the current power consumption not acceptable? It lasts *weeks*.

Quote:7) RTC battry

As long as you keep the PineTime charged, this really isn't an issue. It even recovers the time during a reboot now. I've not noticed any real drift as of yet and I've kept mine disconnected from my phone for quite some time.

Maybe there could be some nice to haves:

- Some people appear to enjoy e-ink displays, and in theory this would allow for the watch-face to always remain "on" whilst consuming little to no power.

- I always thought that WiFi could be interesting to allow phone-less operation. I imagine you could pull notifications, etc, via a network. That would really depend on an NRF chip existing for that purpose.

- If you could get WiFi, a microphone would be awesome.

That said, it is also pretty nice how it is.

I think that vote is a good way for that, I could establish my customized hardware if nobody interested.

esp32 based watch always get WiFi and microphone, but power consumption should be concerned, I think only one day battery life
(10-27-2021, 08:29 AM)jandy Wrote: I think that vote is a good way for that, I could establish my customized hardware if nobody interested.

In theory, if you work on a PCB drop in replacement for the current PineTime hardware that would likely be the easiest way forwards.

(10-27-2021, 08:29 AM)jandy Wrote: esp32 based watch always get WiFi and microphone, but power consumption should be concerned, I think only one day battery life

That's a day if it's continuously running. Also consider the possibility of using something like the BL602, the power consumption is really quite reasonable: https://pine64.com/product/pineseed-bl60...-ble5-soc/
(10-27-2021, 06:02 PM)barray Wrote:
(10-27-2021, 08:29 AM)jandy Wrote: I think that vote is a good way for that, I could establish my customized hardware if nobody interested.

In theory, if you work on a PCB drop in replacement for the current PineTime hardware that would likely be the easiest way forwards.

(10-27-2021, 08:29 AM)jandy Wrote: esp32 based watch always get WiFi and microphone, but power consumption should be concerned, I think only one day battery life

That's a day if it's continuously running. Also consider the possibility of using something like the BL602, the power consumption is really quite reasonable: https://pine64.com/product/pineseed-bl60...-ble5-soc/

As you said, not sure there is no plan for PineTime64 from developer
(10-27-2021, 12:31 AM)jandy Wrote: Let's discusse improvements of hardware such as:

1) gps
2) nfc
4) mag
5) gyro
7) RTC battry

MICROPHONE!

i want to command the AI as a boss ordering the junior to do things.

speech to text --> command need a fxxking microphone!

how's that missing and no one cares!?

afraid of spyware?
The Pinetime is a really cool smartwatch, but there are still a few improvements that would be desirable:

1. both Infinitime and Waspos already reach the limits of the hardware. For example, Infinitime has gotten a lot of improvements and cool new apps(atm 150 mr's), but can't really implement most of them because of memory limitations. More memory would make it easier implement new features with less time and effort.

2. the display of the Pinetime is okay and well suited for a smartwatch with a focus on good battery performance but a slightly larger screen with higher resolution would offer more space for better UX and with an OLED display, the watch would look much nicer because contrasts would be improved and the annoying bright backlight would be gone.

Conclusion: The Pinetime Pro doesn't have to be the AsteriodOS compatible super smartwatch, but a few improvements would improve the experience a lot.
Pinephone:  Mobian Phosh
Pixel 3a:      Ubuntu Touch 20.04
Poco F1:      Plasma Mobile 5.27
Workstation: Manjaro KDE 5.27
Laptop:         KDE Neon 5.27
Pinetime #1:      Infinitime 1.13
LG G Watch R:  AsteriodOS 1.1 Nightly
(10-27-2021, 06:45 AM)barray Wrote:

I yoosta think that, but I recently acquired a GNSS modem that is about half the size of a modern watch, and it receives GPS very well in my basement.  I haven't opened it but I'm pretty sure the gubbins are smaller than the case.

That said, I don't believe such functionality is needed on a watch.  But then, I think a 65c02 and 4k of RAM would be overkill for a watch.
:wq

[ SRA accepts you ]
IMHO, if there are even plans for a PineTime v2 at all, it should be something with more memory so that standard GNU/Linux, or at least ucLinux, can run on it.  Consider that even the PinePhone has 49152 times the RAM and 6781 times the FlashROM of the PineTime. Even InfiniTime is restricted by the available memory.

Heck, even my 26-year-old TI-89 calculator has 4 times as much RAM as the PineTime.
Definitely, magnetometer. Also, more flash memory would be great.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How To Open a Sealed PineTime The3DmaN 5 8,224 10-03-2023, 11:07 PM
Last Post: arbituh
  Which LCD model is used in the PineTime ? kwinz 0 1,613 10-14-2021, 03:36 AM
Last Post: kwinz
  PineTime's 3d model Alfiory 8 6,142 02-09-2021, 11:23 AM
Last Post: Alfiory
  PineTime body information glaslos 1 4,387 12-29-2020, 12:13 AM
Last Post: mrredbeard
  20mm straps for PineTime danielt 3 11,316 10-27-2020, 08:36 PM
Last Post: zer0sig
  External Bluetooth low energy sensors for the Pinetime Peter Gamma 5 8,480 09-11-2020, 03:51 AM
Last Post: Peter Gamma
  PineTime Pogo Pins lupyuen 4 8,328 08-05-2020, 08:29 AM
Last Post: lupyuen
  Any chance of getting PineTime with an upgraded CPU like nRF52840 bills2002 4 7,803 06-19-2020, 10:52 AM
Last Post: bills2002
  PineTime Developer Kit futurejones 8 11,680 01-11-2020, 04:40 AM
Last Post: tomthetaffer