Why can't we have an alternative to DHL??
(03-18-2024, 07:30 AM)diederik Wrote: It (almost*) all depends on your location.

If I put the PB Pro console cable + Woodpecker in the card and provide my location (in .nl), then I do get "Standard Shipping Method -E: $11.99" option.
When it arrives in .nl then I get a mail from PostNL about paying for VAT which in this case wouldn't be much.

My last order was from Feb 20th and send via Standard Shipping and arrived here on Mar 1st :-)
I do think that ppl from .nl are lucky wrt Standard Shipping (I think the first destination for all international orders is Amsterdam).

IOW: You do get the cheaper shipping option when it's available for your location.
I do not know what the criteria for those are or whether they could change over time.

*) Products with a battery are always shipped via DHL (afaik)

If I received the same treatment as you do, I will be more than happy and have no complain. As I mentioned earlier, EU did have a very strict customer protection system to prevent enterprise to ransom their consumer.

Base on you case, I can see DHL dares not to apply an extra service charge on the delivery to EU countries.

I do aware of products with a battery are always shipped via courier. I'm ok with that, but is there any other courier services which will not apply extra service charge to the customer. i.e. every payable charge should reflected on the shipping cost. In Canada, we do have a lot of couries services: DHL, UPS, FedEx, Aramex, Canpar, USPS, Purolator.

For those products without a battery. Like Ox64 SBC, ROCKPro64 SBC, STAR64 RISC-V SBC, Audio Jack USB UART, eMMC USB Type A adapter etc.

Every time when I saw Pin64 has a new product and I think it is a great product and I would like to try it. But when I put those items into the Cart, and then I
click on "Change Address" in the Cart totals, Shipping section. Then enter "Canada". Here we go, I have only one shipping choice. Courier Shipping Method - 30: $30.00.

And I know I need to pay $30.00 shipping plus an unknown charge from DHL base on my past experience. Then I gave up every time. I did check out the Pine64 shipping policy, there is no mention on DHL will charge me extra service charge on the top of the shipping cost. I believe even the folks in Pine64 do not aware of it.

You can verify my words by following the above steps.

So to be more specific, my wish is:

When shipping to Canada,

1. for product with battery, can we have other courier to pick from (or have all the charges reflect on the shipping cost, i.e. $30 shipping + $35 DHL handling fee + VAT from the country custom)

2. for other product, can we have a standard shipping method option
You're drawing conclusions on things I did NOT say.

Other people from the EU may not have the Standard Shipping option at all. And if they do, it may f.e. take 40+ days.
The order amount and the tax policies of your country can also be a factor. In .nl, if the amount is > EUR 150 then you have to pay import taxes (next to VAT), for which the delivery corp can charge processing fees.
(03-18-2024, 03:30 PM)diederik Wrote: You're drawing conclusions on things I did NOT say.

Other people from the EU may not have the Standard Shipping option at all. And if they do, it may f.e. take 40+ days.
The order amount and the tax policies of your country can also be a factor. In .nl, if the amount is > EUR 150 then you have to pay import taxes (next to VAT), for which the delivery corp can charge processing fees.

40+ days for Air shipment is too much. It's much better in Canada.

My bad, I mis-read your reply as I originally ask for your cost via DHL.

I have no issue on paying tax to my country. I'm aware of that and I'm ok with that.

Below is what I need to pay when I order from Pine64 to Canada:

1. the cost of the item itself.
2. the shipping cost $30.
3. import tax (including the VAT) to my government 13% of the item price.
4. DHL handling fee. (the ransom) - no where in the shipping policy saying this cost
5. extra tax (i.e. VAT in your terms) on DHL handling fee. (you pay tax on paying the ransom)

Do I read it right that even in EU, DHL can charge for the handling fee and you guys are paying it as well?

Then back to my point: Why we cannot have the choice to choose Standard mail. Yes I know it's going to take 40+ days. I just don't want to pay ransom.
It is not itemized what we pay or why, it is just listed as “import duty/tax” on the invoice, so there could be a processing charge/tax in there.

On my last order of $209.99, plus $39.00 S&H ($248.99),  I had to pay an additional $78.34 for “import duty/tax”, so $327.33 for my PT2 and I’m fine with that.

I could pay it online once DHL logged the shipment, which I found extremely convenient. They kept me updated via email on my package status and their courier even called me 15 minutes before the first morning delivery attempt. 

As I work all day (Mon. - Fri.), he brought it back to my residence after 17:00, which I felt to be exceptional service, so I also tipped him; I didn’t have to look up where their warehouse was and drive around the industrial area for an hour looking for where to pick it up my order (unlike most of the other courier services here).
Satisfied PinePhone, Pinebook Pro & PineTab2 owner; Thank you Pine64Team for your work!  Smile
(03-19-2024, 10:03 AM)dachalife Wrote: It is not itemized what we pay or why, it is just listed as “import duty/tax” on the invoice, so there could be a processing charge/tax in there.

On my last order of $209.99, plus $39.00 S&H ($248.99),  I had to pay an additional $78.34 for “import duty/tax”, so $327.33 for my PT2 and I’m fine with that.

I could pay it online once DHL logged the shipment, which I found extremely convenient. They kept me updated via email on my package status and their courier even called me 15 minutes before the first morning delivery attempt. 

As I work all day (Mon. - Fri.), he brought it back to my residence after 17:00, which I felt to be exceptional service, so I also tipped him; I didn’t have to look up where their warehouse was and drive around the industrial area for an hour looking for where to pick it up my order (unlike most of the other courier services here).

In common practice, only the item entering your country will be taxed. So your $39.00 S&H should not be taxed.

For $209.99 item cost, pay import duty/tax $78.34; so $78.34 divided by $209.99 times 100 = 37.3%

I don't think your country will charge 37.3% import tax, that is way too high as a tax rate. From my side, it is 13% which is the same tax rate as what we buy from local store.

What is your VAT rate when you go to your local store purchasing goods?
I know the math, I was just trying to provide you with an idea of what others pay; The highest VAT is 27% and the lowest 17%.
Source: https://taxfoundation.org/data/all/eu/va...es-europe/

You can’t really compare other countries though, due to unknown variables: some places have an importation cap, where you have to pay additional fees once you reach that value limit with the tax authorities and there could also be additional tariffs/duties for “luxury” goods.

I was only trying to illustrate that each country is different in how they handle tariffs/duties and it seems yours are lower than mine.

I am happy if I just get my order on time.
Satisfied PinePhone, Pinebook Pro & PineTab2 owner; Thank you Pine64Team for your work!  Smile

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Is there an alternative email other than shipping@pine64.com Fusion_3.64 5 8,516 07-25-2016, 10:07 PM
Last Post: Fusion_3.64