Pinephone pro and consequences for pinephone users
(10-31-2021, 04:43 PM)ivanB1975 Wrote:
(10-29-2021, 02:32 PM)gamerminstrel Wrote: Linux on the pinephone has tons of optimization to be had still. For the sake of comparison, I tried GloDroid (Android) on the pinephone, and it runs blazing fast. Glo-Droid is in no way a stable release of its own, but I Installed Firefox, some electron apps and some emulators, and it blows the pants off the equivalent apps on Manjaro or Mobian.

The Pinephone Pro will be able to play more graphically intensive games and such, but 85% of the issues the non-pro model are facing are absolutely software issues that the Pro version will face as well (just with more muscle to hide it). They can and will improve with time.

I don't see why they would offer a discount to upgrade from the current pinephone when there's nothing wrong with it and its not abandoned. The previous mainboard discount was because of hardware revisions. If they do, then great; maybe sign me up. But in their shoes I wouldn't feel its necessary.

This let some hope that the actual devices we own will be used at full at some point.

I still disagree on the fact the actual pinephone is not anymore upgradable.

I really think you are overreacting to this announcement. The biggest issue with the pinephone on the software side is the modem and the fact that phosh still isn't a mature mobile DE. Both of those translate directly across to both the PP and the PPPro. Literally the only difference will be the more power in the PPPro, no software changes aside from the fact that it can handle software faster. It's not like new Phosh releases aren't going to get push to the PP or the modem won't be updated on the PP.
In regards of heat issue a bigger battery might help on that, using it as a heat sink Smile At least it helped on my LG V20 *Last flagship with some sanity* when I put bigger batteries in it, making it go from very heated to very nice levels. Although of cause there might be difference in build, but it might work and then you get a bigger battery as well, that is never a bad thing overall getting some more juice to run it further and longer.

- Darkijah
(10-24-2021, 01:49 PM)biketool Wrote: I think the allwinner CPU is better suited for a phone, the software just needs to be lightweight like the old Maemo/N900 software was.
There will be situations where a user needs a phone form factor with a CPU better suited to a lightweight laptop, pinepro is for them.

The Allwinner A64 is a 40 nm SoC. The RK3399(S) is a 28 nm SoC (like the RK3328 and the H6 in the H64). That simple fact makes the RK3399S more suitable for phones. If you are particularly worried about heat generation, just downclock the CPU cores in software or even disable the 2 big A72s in software and then you will have a nice efficient quad A53 CPU that is still significantly faster than the 1.05 GHz A64.

Quote:the software just needs to be lightweight like the old Maemo/N900 software was
there is no need to use "was"  Wink . I have Maemo Leste installed on a Sandisk Max Endurance microSD and the UI (Hildon) is much smoother and faster than Plasma running on postmarketOS on my Pinephone Beta Edition 3 GB.
(11-01-2021, 01:30 PM)ragreenburg Wrote:
(10-31-2021, 04:43 PM)ivanB1975 Wrote:
(10-29-2021, 02:32 PM)gamerminstrel Wrote: Linux on the pinephone has tons of optimization to be had still. For the sake of comparison, I tried GloDroid (Android) on the pinephone, and it runs blazing fast. Glo-Droid is in no way a stable release of its own, but I Installed Firefox, some electron apps and some emulators, and it blows the pants off the equivalent apps on Manjaro or Mobian.

The Pinephone Pro will be able to play more graphically intensive games and such, but 85% of the issues the non-pro model are facing are absolutely software issues that the Pro version will face as well (just with more muscle to hide it). They can and will improve with time.

I don't see why they would offer a discount to upgrade from the current pinephone when there's nothing wrong with it and its not abandoned. The previous mainboard discount was because of hardware revisions. If they do, then great; maybe sign me up. But in their shoes I wouldn't feel its necessary.

This let some hope that the actual devices we own will be used at full at some point.

I still disagree on the fact the actual pinephone is not anymore upgradable.

I really think you are overreacting to this announcement. The biggest issue with the pinephone on the software side is the modem and the fact that phosh still isn't a mature mobile DE. Both of those translate directly across to both the PP and the PPPro. Literally the only difference will be the more power in the PPPro, no software changes aside from the fact that it can handle software faster. It's not like new Phosh releases aren't going to get push to the PP or the modem won't be updated on the PP.

I agree. Both phones have exactly the same modem, the same screen resolution and both have ARMv8 SoCs, even containing exactly the same CPU cores (Cortex A53) except for the Cortex A72s the RK3399(S) also has but those by definition are 100% compatible instruction set wise with the A53s as that is a requirement of big.LITTLE ARM CPU designs. The biggest hardware difference is the newer and more powerful GPU of the RK3399(S), which also supports newer graphics standards. That is where some divergence in performance and features may *eventually* develop but I am sure that there will always be plenty of user interfaces and basic apps that are compatible with the Mali 400. Let's not forget that the Pinetab (and Pine A64 (LTS)) also has the A64! (and that there are a lot of other Linux devices with Mali 400/450 GPUs embedded, using Lima)
(11-05-2021, 06:31 PM)PacificSinewave(snip) Wrote: there is no need to use "was"  Wink . I have Maemo Leste installed on a Sandisk Max Endurance microSD and the UI (Hildon) is much smoother and faster than Plasma running on postmarketOS on my Pinephone Beta Edition 3 GB.

I started out wanting Leste on my pinephone but having to play with u-boot again, I would love going back to non-systemd(Duevian base), but I think Leste is still not making calls on the pinephone and I still use my N900 as a daily driver until Mobian and the app environment matures(or Leste).
(11-08-2021, 02:10 AM)biketool Wrote:
(11-05-2021, 06:31 PM)PacificSinewave(snip) Wrote: there is no need to use "was"  Wink . I have Maemo Leste installed on a Sandisk Max Endurance microSD and the UI (Hildon) is much smoother and faster than Plasma running on postmarketOS on my Pinephone Beta Edition 3 GB.

I started out wanting Leste on my pinephone but having to play with u-boot again, I would love going back to non-systemd(Duevian base), but I think Leste is still not making calls on the pinephone and I still use my N900 as a daily driver until Mobian and the app environment matures(or Leste).

In theory, Devuan might be possible on Pinephone.
I think all you need is a Devuan ARM64 build with Mobian repoes attached to it, Pinephone specific kernel and drivers, and Phosh pre-installed.
But maybe that's just a mere (conspiracy) theory.
母語は日本語ですが、英語も喋れます(ry

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  PinePhone - boot from microSD laserpyramid 5 299 03-06-2024, 06:37 PM
Last Post: aular
  Are you using the Pinephone as your daily driver? jro 157 105,147 02-18-2024, 11:33 PM
Last Post: aular
  2020 PinePhone Manjaro CE EU for sale, name your price astrojuanlu 7 1,524 02-14-2024, 04:51 PM
Last Post: astrojuanlu
  pinephone is not bootble for the box. ijij 1 463 01-19-2024, 01:29 PM
Last Post: fxc
  Multiple issues with the Pinephone MTXP 12 1,938 12-28-2023, 07:55 AM
Last Post: MTXP
  pinephone repair shop shengchieh 0 383 12-26-2023, 02:42 PM
Last Post: shengchieh
  sudo nano file saving pinephone beta edition CharlesGnarley 4 1,479 12-22-2023, 03:44 PM
Last Post: Kevin Kofler
  Can't get Mobian on PinePhone to recognise USB-C docking bar duncan_bayne 9 6,606 12-04-2023, 02:14 AM
Last Post: Peter Gamma
  Pinephone not booting, always vibrating alexander12 7 4,669 11-22-2023, 06:46 PM
Last Post: Scary Guy
  Pinephone on Verizon chachi 3 993 10-09-2023, 11:26 AM
Last Post: alaraajavamma