Where are the LoRaWAN devices?
I recall a number of LoRa devices being announced: a gateway, a PinePhone backplate and so on. However, there doesn't seem to be any mention of these on Pine64.com. 

Are the products still in development? Are they affected by current chip shortages?
(10-16-2021, 02:44 AM)qeek Wrote: I recall a number of LoRa devices being announced: a gateway, a PinePhone backplate and so on. However, there doesn't seem to be any mention of these on Pine64.com. 

Are the products still in development? Are they affected by current chip shortages?

I am working on some of the tech, specifically adding hardware POCSAG pager decoding hardware using an output from the LoRa readi receiver.
If you seed the areas you live and work with a few cheap Heltec nodes running a LoRaWAN it is even possible to add solar powered repeater nodes you can even have low speed data/messaging while your commercial wireless modem is physically powered down by using the kill switches in a very large area.
I have no information about logistics though.
(10-16-2021, 02:44 AM)qeek Wrote: I recall a number of LoRa devices being announced: a gateway, a PinePhone backplate and so on. However, there doesn't seem to be any mention of these on Pine64.com. 

There is good progress being made on implementing LoRa with the Pine DIO.

There is also schematic for the backpack and, just below that, for a USB LoRa adapter.

I think Pine is steadily moving forward on these projects, its just that their PR dept (and by extension the news cycle) has not caught up yet. Presumably because these projects are still pretty far from market - just because there is a schematic and a working prototype or two does not mean the tooling and production lines are being brought together yet.
LoRa in general is a bit of a mess. It's not Pine64.

Of the two older competitors, LoRa is more friendly to new systems than Sigfox is. But both come with more restrictions than I suspect Pine wants. Plus, there are few open LoRaWAN installations around for people to use in exploratory manners. To make matters even worse, if I recall correctly, they don't actually enforce airtime restrictions.

That will fall back on vendors to pretend to "enforce" them via software and other restrictions. Should the technology ever really take off... And that would cause problems for existing systems that ignore the duty cycle aspects.

Or that's my view from looking into these for monitoring honey bee hives around town (Atlanta, GA, US area) a while ago. The various LTE systems, well, their networks exist. There are cheap plans. But then vendors must kowtow to the networks' certification requirements, otherwise known as payola. All for what's a public resource here in the US.

It's fun, really.
Yes, it is a lot of fun. Have been playing with a TTGO Lora board for the past few weeks.

How does one get his hands on the Pine64 prototype boards?
We are living in the time of pretty open LoRaWAN conditions, if it stays a niche we will have very long range even if at low bandwidth.  The frequency bands 433mhz EU or 800mhz NA probably by IARU region are not legal in the other's region without an amateur radio license and following identification rules.
For now a Hetec node is around 20euro last time I checked, there is a cheap ESP32 implementation by Heltec with LoRa, Wifi, and Bluetooth and a OLED display which can be programmed using the Arduino IDE and is suitable for solar powered installation.

Pinedio is still active and progressing.

Arrow  Best place (currently) to keep up with current discussion/state of the Pinedio project work is to visit the often updated 'Lora' marked chat in Pine64 chat channels (ex: discord)

Arrow  Hardware dev progress can be viewed at the Pinedio Wiki: https://wiki.pine64.org/wiki/Pinedio

Arrow  This week Lup Yuen Lee created some great writeups with screenshots showing one of the options for setting the gateway here: https://lupyuen.github.io/articles/gateway

Cheers Smile
- RTP

"In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities, in the expert's mind there are few." -Shunryu Suzuki

[ Pinephone Original | Pinetab v1 / v2 Enjoyer ]

Linux Device Privacy / Security Playlist

Thanks for the updates everyone. I can't wait to get my hands on some
If I understand it correctly, this is basically an internet router, but without any middlemen like an ISP and an internet backbone, or am I missing something?
母語は日本語ですが、英語も喋れます(ry
(11-18-2021, 01:34 AM)ryo Wrote: If I understand it correctly, this is basically an internet router, but without any middlemen like an ISP and an internet backbone, or am I missing something?

Well I guess they could be used that way, in a closed network maybe? But I think the point of stuff like TheThingsNetwork is to to connect the (local) RF (LoraWAN) devices to the broader Internet via gateways, such that they can communicate over longer distances.
Cheers,
TRS-80

What is Free Software and why is it so important for society?

Protocols, not Platforms

For the most Linux-y experience on your Linux phone, try SXMO!

I am (nominally) the Armbian Maintainer for PineBook Pro (although severely lacking in time these days).

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Article: Build an IoT App with Zig and LoRaWAN (PineDio Stack BL604) lupyuen 0 819 06-13-2022, 11:09 PM
Last Post: lupyuen
  Article: LoRaWAN on Apache NuttX OS (PineDio Stack BL604) lupyuen 5 3,327 01-09-2022, 08:37 PM
Last Post: jasonriedy
  USB voice modem for non-phone devices? nas 1 1,981 09-15-2021, 09:34 PM
Last Post: pbp_user234
  Article: LoRaWAN on PineDio Stack BL604 RISC-V Board lupyuen 0 1,281 09-15-2021, 09:27 PM
  Article: PineCone BL602 Talks LoRaWAN lupyuen 0 1,439 05-11-2021, 12:12 AM
  Open source office suite for touchscreen devices on linux and bsd linuxnoob 1 3,342 05-29-2020, 01:57 PM
Last Post: coolguy129