Pinephone Pro vs Pinephone Parts
This is probably a dumb question, but will any of the Pinephone Hardware be compatable with the regular Pinephone? For example, can I replace the orginal pinephone screen with a gorilla glass version?

This applies to other hardware as well, but the glass would be an awesome upgrade for my orginal Pinephone.
To quote from here (https://www.pine64.org/pinephonepro/) -- scroll down to the FAQ:

"
I am a PinePhone owner – will I be able to upgrade it by installing a PinePhone Pro mainboard?

Probably not. While the PinePhone Pro’s mainboard will fit the PinePhone, the chassis, IPS display panel, cameras, the daughterboard, and thermal dissipation systems are all different. For instance, the PinePhone Pro’s cameras will not fit into the PinePhone chassis and are electrically incompatible with PinePhone Pro’s mainboard. Software enablement would also be required to drive the original PinePhone’s components (such as the LCD) using the PinePhone Pro’s mainboard. Thermal dissipation is another important consideration, as the higher heat output may not be trivial to overcome in the original PinePhone’s chassis.

"

and

"
How repairable is the PinePhone Pro?

Just as the original PinePhone, the PinePhone Pro is built to be user repairable and we will offer spare parts in the Pine Store. The store’s selection will include all parts that frequently break if the device is dropped (the screen, back case and mid section) as well as all electronic components, including the mainboard. 

"

hope that helps
It does somewhat. I might end up with thermal problem, software problem, or a frankenstein's monster but I will keep an eye on that once they have the parts for pinephone pro for sale. Unless someone else knows more about it.
I hope that the pro along with OS upgrades will get us a better battery life, can anyone point me at an estimated pricepoint?
(10-16-2021, 12:55 PM)biketool Wrote: I hope that the pro along with OS upgrades will get us a better battery life, can anyone point me at an estimated pricepoint?

> Developer pre-orders and Explorer Edition coming later this year for $399

Source: https://www.pine64.org/2021/10/15/octobe...phone-pro/

The battery life will be worse than for the regular pinephone.
(10-16-2021, 03:26 PM)CharlieGordo Wrote: The battery life will be worse than for the regular pinephone.

That remains to be seen. Maybe yes, maybe no... and pre-production hardware without software optimization is not a really good indicator either.
(10-16-2021, 12:55 PM)biketool Wrote: I hope that the pro along with OS upgrades will get us a better battery life, [...]

This actual hands on review at xnux.eu/log/#047 is pretty clear about what to expect: 

Quote:Pinephone Pro is basically Pinebook Pro with more useful PMIC, modem, cameras, and a better supported wifi chip (cypress supported cyw43455 is more open than broadcom supported brcm43456 in PBP) in a much smaller form factor.

Performance is thus much better than the original Pinephone, but the power consumption is higher too. Baseline power consumption with normal backlight brightness and screen turned on is ~2.8–3W. Doing something in the browser or just moving the mouse around rises the power consumption to ~5W. This was tested in sway, with GPU acceleration turned on, and only one CPU core enabled.

That's not a huge problem for Pinebook Pro with its 36Wh battery (4–7h runtime on a notebook is nice) 2–3h runtime with screen on, on a phone, is a problem. It will be a nice mini-notebook with a pinephone keyboard, though. Smile
Devices: Pinebook Pro & Pinephone (Braveheart)
slightly wrong place but anyway.

i hope this pp pro should get better antenna for gps. if gps is there, i think it should work better. basic pp's gps is near useless, i manage to get reception though. some might argue that pp without gps is better because of privacy. gps module is still there, so it might get something. basically, either it works well or not at all.
PinePhone has 2,800-2,820 mAh J7 form factor battery.

PinePhone Pro "slight battery upgrade" has a 3,000 mAh J7 form factor battery.

Despite that, battery life will be much much worse on PinePhone Pro compared with PinePhone because the Pro uses a lot more power (eMMC, CPU, GPU). Battery aside a more important concern is PinePhone Pro will be a very very hot potato and the "oven mitts" comments are no joke. Both phones are important experimental steps on the path to a final goal.
Worse battery life is going to be a show stopper for me. However, that better camera sounds attractive! I wonder if that would be a plug-and-play upgrade once Megapixels supports it?

A package with the pro case and pro screen, maybe the new camera, would be a worthwhile upgrade for the original Pinephone.
Better glass, better heat dissipation, room for better antennas would all be nice.
Pinephone beta edition, convergence model, Mobian Bookworm with Phosh.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  my pinephone melted norayr 6 775 04-04-2024, 07:22 PM
Last Post: Zebulon Walton
  Pinephone refusing to charge while suspended tiol 1 1,052 04-02-2024, 10:54 AM
Last Post: joH_N_Doe64
  various tricks to open the pinephone shengchieh 2 671 03-23-2024, 09:27 AM
Last Post: Ferriah
  pinephone can provide more than 500mA to a usb-c displayport device? unrznbl 2 307 03-21-2024, 08:52 AM
Last Post: unrznbl
  pinephone keyboard + dock question tuxcall 7 2,722 02-05-2024, 03:17 PM
Last Post: wigan
  Unsatisfactory GPS reception on PinePhone? LinAdmin2 53 55,386 12-17-2023, 11:42 AM
Last Post: robin.com.au
  PinePhone Pro not booting (Cap error!, pctl timeout) jealda 2 1,356 11-16-2023, 05:03 AM
Last Post: DrYak
  Pinephone frame damages Uturn 2 939 10-23-2023, 02:49 AM
Last Post: Uturn
  PinePhone Keyboard KJ6OHG 11 7,988 08-23-2023, 03:25 AM
Last Post: Kali
  PinePhone constantly vibrating and won't take charge ImmyChan 5 5,393 07-23-2023, 03:49 PM
Last Post: kb-zealot