Dekko 2 forces reboot
I searched far and wide, and couldn't find anything about this exact phenomenon, though one other person talked of it "crashing the phone".

I do the OTA updates almost daily, and I've noticed that the first time I try to start Dekko 2 after an update, it "crashes the phone", or forces an OS (UI) restart.  After the Dekko forced restart, I can open and close Dekko 2 at will, as many times as I want.  This led me to experiment, and I found that it's not strictly after an OTA update, but anytime I do a full restart for any reason, the next time I try to open Dekko 2 it will force it's own (UI) restart, then after the Dekko forced restart it's fine.

Is anyone else seeing this issue, and more importantly does anyone have any idea why it would be happening?
***   Don't be a minion in the (i)droid army   ***
(10-10-2021, 03:38 PM)Fred Zyphal Wrote: Is anyone else seeing this issue, and more importantly does anyone have any idea why it would be happening?

Yes, it happens here too. It seems that at first start the UBPorts UI crashes/restarts (not the whole phone) and then the next Dekko2 launches are successful.
However, not all emails are possible to read, sometimes you see only white page.
(10-11-2021, 01:52 AM)acrux Wrote: UI crashes/restarts (not the whole phone)

I'm realizing that your description is more accurate ... I said it forces an OS restart, but you're right, it only falls back to the horizontal row of blinking dots, so a UI restart is correct ... thank you.
Ok, it's even worse than I originally stated, it's not only after an OTA update or a full restart, but it also happens after the phone has gone to sleep and locks.  Dekko 2 is actually working pretty good, but this UI crashing behavior makes it just about intolerable.  Lack of a decent email client is pretty much the only thing stopping me from switching my main service over to this phone as a daily driver.

Soooo ... I'm officially throwing in the towel on Dekko 2, the only mail client in "The Store", and will try to sideload either Geary which is very mobile friendly, or the new Thunderbird which appears to be somewhat mobile friendly.  If I can get either one of those two to work under Ubuntu Touch, this will be my phone.
Had some free time recently, flashed a fresh ubuntu-touch-pinephone.img to a sd card, updated installation to Development channel, installed Dekko2 and - positive surprise - Dekko starts OK already at the first try Smile
Edit: was too optimistic - after phone "waking up from sleep" Dekko 2 still forces the UI restart...
My experience with Manjaro PlaMo: https://forum.pine64.org/showthread.php?tid=15300
Just tired on dev version 810 and the same thing happened. The UI crashed on first run. I had to force a reboot, then it came up. I tried adding my Gmail account, but it would not authenticate.
Updated to 816, dekko2 still crashes the UI on first reboot, but I was able to add an IMAP account. Some emails won't display, but others do. Not able to view images, but it's a start.
Hmmm, I've had no trouble adding two gmail accounts and two AOL IMAP accounts, it's just the annoying UI restart pretty much every time you open it ... it's close, but no cigar.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Dekko on UBPorts PinePhone usable? djvinniev77 13 15,335 09-17-2020, 03:45 PM
Last Post: yurievitch
  Dekko Mail no account configurable firefox-58 3 4,960 07-22-2020, 04:59 AM
Last Post: firefox-58
  Dekko 2 Zweitaktmotor 5 6,426 05-19-2020, 10:46 PM
Last Post: kugiigi