Unable to hear caller or speak after answering a call
Hi, I just installed some updates to Manjaro w/ Phosh on my pinephone a couple of days ago, and since then I haven't been able to speak or hear the caller when I answer a call, or make an outgoing one. I can't confidently attribute the change to the updates though, as I'm the target of ongoing cyber attacks.

Has anyone else experienced this problem?

It would be helpful to know if this is a bug in the OS that came with the latest wave of updates or some other attack.

The only other thing I did in the same timeframe is attempt to install Pidgin on my phone for messaging, and a facebook messaging protocol library for it. I would have thought it extremely unlikely that those could impact such core functions of telephony.  Dodgy

Thanks in advance for your thoughts, as always.
For byte-sized tech and software tips check out my Danimations Digital Media tips channel on Youtube Big Grin
This is probably because of an upgrade of pipewire which breaks automatic audio profile switching in recent versions. You can try switching profiles manually in the audio settings while on a call to see if this is the problem. Manjaro reverted to using pulseaudio instead of pipewire, but you have to revert the package changes manually if you installed an image which used pipewire (Beta 10–13 or dev images until recently). Here you can see the package changes when they replaced pulseaudio with pipewire in Beta 10. You have to revert the pipewire-* and pulseaudio* changes (install pulseaudio, pulseaudio-alsa and pulseaudio-bluetooth, remove pipewire-alsa and pipewire-pulse).
Thanks Kqlnut, looks like you've probably pin-pointed the problem.

You say "You have to revert the pipewire-* and pulseaudio* changes (install pulseaudio, pulseaudio-alsa and pulseaudio-bluetooth, remove pipewire-alsa and pipewire-pulse)."

I assume these changes are made as command line entries via Terminal? Are you able to show me the specific commands? I'm a Linux primative, but eager to learn more.  Sleepy
For byte-sized tech and software tips check out my Danimations Digital Media tips channel on Youtube Big Grin
Yes, it's best to do this with Manjaro's/Arch's command line package manager pacman.
Code:
# install the pulseaudio packages
sudo pacman -Sy pulseaudio pulseaudio-alsa pulseaudio-bluetooth

# remove the pipewire packages
sudo pacman -Rs pipewire-alsa pipewire-pulse

# find out about pacman's capabilities and see what the flags do
man pacman
When you install the pulseaudio packages you might be warned about conflicting pipewire packages and be prompted to remove them. Do that, you won't have to remove those in the second step then. You probably won't be able to remove the pipewire packages with their dependencies first though (before installing the pulseaudio packages) because other packages rely on them.
Yes, the first command recognised the conflict and removed pipeline. Now to reboot and test with a call!  Cool

Success! Tested with a call and yes, telephony is A-OK. This solved my problem. Thanks again!
(09-10-2021, 01:18 AM)kqlnut Wrote: Yes, it's best to do this with Manjaro's/Arch's command line package manager pacman.
Code:
# install the pulseaudio packages
sudo pacman -Sy pulseaudio pulseaudio-alsa pulseaudio-bluetooth

# remove the pipewire packages
sudo pacman -Rs pipewire-alsa pipewire-pulse

# find out about pacman's capabilities and see what the flags do
man pacman
When you install the pulseaudio packages you might be warned about conflicting pipewire packages and be prompted to remove them. Do that, you won't have to remove those in the second step then. You probably won't be able to remove the pipewire packages with their dependencies first though (before installing the pulseaudio packages) because other packages rely on them.

Thank you kqlnut, that did resolve my PinePhone Pro issue with the Plasma Manjaro dev OS.

I wasn't able to hear any sound from phone calls; yet I can hear my voice only; nor the caller was able to hear me from PPP.

Thank you!

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Weird call... Eugo 3 1,875 09-15-2022, 11:20 PM
Last Post: Eugo
  Pinephone craches after each call neithan76 2 1,534 07-29-2022, 11:47 AM
Last Post: Chief
  Call waiting issue kmsgli 22 14,184 06-24-2022, 06:02 PM
Last Post: kmsgli
  Can't call or receive calls PJK2012 3 2,746 04-26-2022, 03:05 PM
Last Post: PJK2012
  Dialer sound so low vary hard to hear caller. Shanta 2 1,774 02-11-2022, 03:42 PM
Last Post: Shanta
  phonebook app does not send sms or voice call tckosvic 13 8,328 12-19-2021, 07:12 PM
Last Post: tckosvic
Music Can only hear/speak during a phone call when on speakerphone danimations 4 3,354 10-24-2021, 11:47 PM
Last Post: danimations
  Feature request: storing a contact after they call you danimations 2 2,153 09-12-2021, 08:59 PM
Last Post: danimations
  [phosh][beta11] audio settings lost after making outgoing call dcinoz 1 1,865 06-22-2021, 03:57 AM
Last Post: dcinoz
  After update black screen and unable to boot anything vmataixf 1 2,187 06-01-2021, 05:32 AM
Last Post: dcinoz