SIM card connection lost
Hi there,

I am new to the Pine, which works surprisingly well out of the box (Manjaro Plasma).. however, there is an extremely nasty bug, and I am not sure whether its a damaged hardware or rather known problem: my SIM card disconnects every few minutes and the only solution is shutting down, taking it out, back in and rebooting again. Since I tried it with several SIM chips, if a new one, I am sure it's not on their end. Any work arounds available? Experiences/solutions to be shared?

Thanks!
I had a similar issue and "fixed" it by making a shim out of a small piece of flexible plastic cut from a milk bottle and inserted between the SIM card and the metal frame of the holder. Works great, have not had a problem with the SIM not being detected since doing that. (The problem may have to do with variations in SIM thickness. I never had that issue with the Tracfone SIM I used initially for test purposes, it started with my AT&T SIM.)

I tried taking a photo, it's not very good but you can just about make out the translucent plastic shim in this photo.

[Image: AmvV4M7r_o.jpg]
Jay Jay, are you using a nanoSIM adapter or do you have a microSIM? If a nano, be very careful taking the SIM out. Many have reported breading the delicate SIM contacts. One broke off on my phone and I managed to solder it back on. All the adapter I have have sharp edges and are prone to break the contacts, especially if the SIM card falls out of the microSIM adapter frame.
(09-02-2021, 09:09 PM)Zebulon Walton Wrote: I had a similar issue and "fixed" it by making a shim out of a small piece of flexible plastic cut from a milk bottle and inserted between the SIM card and the metal frame of the holder. Works great, have not had a problem with the SIM not being detected since doing that. (The problem may have to do with variations in SIM thickness. I never had that issue with the Tracfone SIM I used initially for test purposes, it started with my AT&T SIM.)

I tried taking a photo, it's not very good but you can just about make out the translucent plastic shim in this photo.

[Image: AmvV4M7r_o.jpg]

Thanks Zebulon, will try your "solution", interesting indeed!
(09-03-2021, 08:47 AM)lsitongia Wrote: Jay Jay, are you using a nanoSIM adapter or do you have a microSIM? If a nano, be very careful taking the SIM out. Many have reported breading the delicate SIM contacts. One broke off on my phone and I managed to solder it back on. All the adapter I have have sharp edges and are prone to break the contacts, especially if the SIM card falls out of the microSIM adapter frame.

Thanks, Isitongia, I am using a microSIM. So far, no issues when taking the card out/in, but your word of warning is certainly relevant. I avoid taking it out completely, just moving it a bit would do the job and after rebooting it connects again.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  install iso from sd card to emmc aular 2 167 03-11-2024, 10:24 PM
Last Post: tllim
  How To Access the Pine Phone Auxillary microSD Without Removing Card pinephoneuser22 2 790 01-09-2024, 07:02 PM
Last Post: britelite
  SD Card has wrong capacity AndyM 11 2,127 06-11-2023, 12:30 AM
Last Post: AndyM
  Device Unable To Read MicroSD Card _radv_ 19 5,681 02-18-2023, 02:01 PM
Last Post: _radv_
  SIM Card Slot Terror thismarty 4 1,364 12-21-2022, 05:37 PM
Last Post: thismarty
  MicroSD Card Reuse _radv_ 5 1,870 12-12-2022, 12:26 PM
Last Post: chainingsolid
  Pine Phone Doesn't Recognize New MicroSD Card _radv_ 3 1,306 11-23-2022, 05:19 AM
Last Post: _radv_
  SIM Card Install pineme 4 4,988 06-10-2022, 03:15 AM
Last Post: rocket2nfinity
  Lost password on second hand Ubports PinePhone? Peter Gamma 6 3,245 04-10-2022, 01:20 PM
Last Post: Peter Gamma
  The modem switch affects the connection to battery? JohnDoe 2 1,943 03-30-2022, 12:02 AM
Last Post: JohnDoe