first notes
(08-22-2021, 05:44 AM)undo Wrote: I am comparing it to how cheap PineBook and PinePhone are. And if talking about e-reader / notetaking devices I was thinking reMarkable 2 which I have thought about buying before. I think it's about 400$ but already a polished product. I have no idea how the hardware compares, btw. I am only thinking about use cases when comparing these. By adding a keyboard you are selling a bigger use case.

Remarkable 1/2 are great for actual writing, drawing, note taking, annotating etc. Very well done and polished. The PineNote hardware blows the remarkables out of the water. CPU is at least 4x more powerful (probably more), 8x as much RAM and a lot more built in storage as well. But, obviously not a polished product like the remarkables.
Ok. Sounds like even more reason to pack the keyboard with it.
Like others here, I am delighted that it now looks like, after ALL this time, we might finally be able to take our 'work' outside Cool . As somebody who does a lot of typewriting, refresh rates are really not that big of an issue to me (I think). I like typing notes on my Kindle Paperwhite just fine, for instance. If only Amazon weren't so anal about keeping the Kindles fully 'closed', I'd even be perfectly happy connecting a keyboard to it and using that for doing some writing outside in the sun. But so I LOVE the apparently more 'open' idea behind this new product. As well as the specs of course Exclamation .       
But so I'm still puzzling over the plan here. The name of this product and the WACOM pen suggests that it really is intended for notetaking with a pen. But so IS making sure that buyers can also hook up a bluetooth keyboard to this device part of the plan here? Or will we have to wait for a different device - a (mostly) keyboard-centric E-ink Pinebook? And is that in the plans at all? Its seems to be that that user group would be SOOO much bigger - think people who just have to write code, text, etc.
As someone who does not know how many system resources are required for reliable sensitivity with Wacom's AES technology (I am intrigued as to why not N-Trig, if already going at these prices), I was disheartened to see this price (back in 12th grade, I really wanted one of Sharp's electronic notebooks, however prices made it impossible to import one (I believe that including shipping, it would have been around $1000-1200)), since I was hoping to see a more basic chipset and custom OS (possibly based upon FreeRTOS, although at this point it probably makes more sense to go mainline Linux, though a new desktop environment would have been nice in this case) to go along with a lower price (storage could also be lowered in this case, with external storage holding the actual notes).

Not to be misunderstood, the price makes absolute sense with these sense, I just thought that it might be overkill for people who want to take notes, but not have the device be locked in an existing ecosystem (Internet connectivity might not even be required, with firmware updates being either with a companion app, or á la Kindle, downloading a firmware update and via the settings or main menu or something of the sort, applying the update).
I'm looking at it now, it's a beautiful device and the meager software on it looks good. HAven't dug in much, not expected much usefulness this early on but the stylus works disply and backlight work, the few apps I saw seem to be basically functional.

Honestly, I almost expected a brick from how early on in the dev process it is, but i guess you can't really ship it without having something to test with it. This has potential, like the pinephones, to create a legitimate fairly open platform to build a high-quality E-reader/note type device with as much FOSS as possible.
------
it doesn't get happy
it doesn't get sad
it just runs programs
(08-25-2021, 12:49 PM)kelbot Wrote:
(08-22-2021, 05:44 AM)undo Wrote: I am comparing it to how cheap PineBook and PinePhone are. And if talking about e-reader / notetaking devices I was thinking reMarkable 2 which I have thought about buying before. I think it's about 400$ but already a polished product. I have no idea how the hardware compares, btw. I am only thinking about use cases when comparing these. By adding a keyboard you are selling a bigger use case.

Remarkable 1/2 are great for actual writing, drawing, note taking, annotating etc. Very well done and polished. The PineNote hardware blows the remarkables out of the water. CPU is at least 4x more powerful (probably more), 8x as much RAM and a lot more built in storage as well. But, obviously not a polished product like the remarkables.

I own both a Remarkable 1 and 2.  The build quality and screen are great, but ...

Remarkable is also hamstrung (IMHO) by its lack of non-propreitary connectivity.  You can use 3rd party cloud services, but only if you pay for Remarkable's 'Connect' service.  They have a 'USB web' interface for file transfers, but it doesn't work at all.  They have a desktop app for USB transfers, but it is Mac/Win only and works to a degree at best.

So, with Remarkable, you've got a device that is utterly reliant on the manufacturer's continued support and existence simply to move data on/off the device.

Remarkable is the reason I am anxiously watching the development of the PineNote.  An open, Linux desktop OS-based ePaper reader will be the win, if nothing else, simply because it will lack these sort of proprietary bindings.