JumpDrive not working due to device busy
I'm unable to flash Manjaro to my Pinephone.

I've flashed JumpDrive (pine64-pinephone.img.xz) to a MicroSD card inserted it into my PinePhone (I received the PostMarketOS Edition from last year).
The phone boots fine, and the eMMC flash is detected in my (Ubuntu 20.04) computer.

I'm then trying to flash Manjaro-ARM-plasma-mobile-pinephone-20210807.img.xz to the eMMC flash through USBImager, but it fails with the error "error opening device /dev/sdc: Device or resource busy".

I switched to balenaEtcher but it also fails with an unspecific error.

I think it may be because of the encryption on PostMarketOS, as I'm asked the passphrase to access the driver from either USBImager or balenaEtcher. So I went to Gparted to try to delete the partition and/or clear the encryption part, but it won't allow me to do either. What I could do is format the rootfs partition, but I did not help, and I'm still unable to flash Manjaro.

It looks like I'm the only one with this problem, and I'm stuck right now. Any idea?

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

1) you have to decompress the .xz to flash the .img
2) give an 'lsblk' command to see whether the /dev/sdc is mounted to any directories, probably 2
3) if yes, unmount with 'umount full-path-to-directory' for all directories
4) now flash the .img

if your application decompresses automatically the image then you can skip step 1

it is useful to learn to do it fundamentally through the terminal with he following command

'sudo dd bs=1M if=image-file of=/dev/sdc status=progress conv=fsync'

that is dump the binary data in 1MB blocks from the file to the eMMC showing the progress of the operation and flushing the buffer
(08-07-2021, 08:15 AM)mouffa Wrote: 1) you have to decompress the .xz to flash the .img
2) give an 'lsblk' command to see whether the /dev/sdc is mounted to any directories, probably 2
3) if yes, unmount with 'umount full-path-to-directory' for all directories
4) now flash the .img

if your application decompresses automatically the image then you can skip step 1

it is useful to learn to do it fundamentally through the terminal with he following command

'sudo dd bs=1M if=image-file of=/dev/sdc status=progress conv=fsync'

that is dump the binary data in 1MB blocks from the file to the eMMC showing the progress of the operation and flushing the buffer

Thanks. It worked. I think it's better to do it in the command line, especially the unmount part, as doing so in Nautilus will eject the drive.
ejection is different than unmounting

you can do the same flashing by running an OS from the SD, in this case the eMMC is /dev/mmcblk2 and it is already unmounted, you don't need jumdrive and the PC, it is always useful to have a spare OS on an SD

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  4G VoLTE calls confirmed working with carrier x dcinoz 15 11,289 03-09-2024, 11:38 PM
Last Post: dcinoz
  Jumpdrive broken? eMMc broken Uturn 5 1,602 04-21-2023, 12:37 AM
Last Post: Uturn
  Device Unable To Read MicroSD Card _radv_ 19 5,683 02-18-2023, 02:01 PM
Last Post: _radv_
  MMS sending stopped working amindfv 2 1,154 01-16-2023, 09:44 PM
Last Post: treebeard
  UI crashes after unplugging USB device, seen on multiple OSes; is my hardware broken? slondr 1 901 11-05-2022, 11:31 AM
Last Post: slondr
  Instructions to get pinephone working on USA carrier omarcomputing 1 1,285 10-08-2022, 04:45 PM
Last Post: treebeard
  JumpDrive isn't working phytocube 2 1,684 06-05-2022, 03:22 PM
Last Post: phytocube
  Jumpdrive not booting Kimberley van Buyten 1 992 05-28-2022, 01:00 AM
Last Post: Kimberley van Buyten
  SIM card slot not working dekrets 2 2,099 02-12-2022, 11:09 AM
Last Post: dekrets
  Can't get autofocus working duncan_bayne 4 2,806 01-22-2022, 09:17 PM
Last Post: duncan_bayne