Open Source self hosted contact list?
Whether you had a Blackberry, Windows Phone, iPhone, or Android, they gave you an option of storing contacts on the SIM card, stored locally, or remotely on their online service.

With the arrival of the different open source OSes available, the option of storing online is not available with each of those different distros as of now.

With that, anyone know of an open source platform for storing contacts?
I think you can use a service that mozilla firefox provides for online storage, check firefox's features else you can use a paid email service like startmail
Nextcloud?

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
If seems you would also need a client to integrate with the OS so it knows it is a contact list the phone can use for dialing out.
I just use the onboard contact book,
Since I do change the OS kinda often, I do end up spending 10 or more minutes manually entering my contacts.
BUT then my contacts are never hanging out on a cloud somewhere.

Yeah it does require a little effort, but I expect that after all I am looking for some privacy.

I DO still take the time to close the door when I use the bathroom also.... TOO MUCH EFFORT FOR SOME I GUESS ?
      LINUX = CHOICES
         **BCnAZ**
               Idea
   Donate to $upport
your favorite OS Team
(08-02-2021, 03:38 PM)bcnaz Wrote: I just use the onboard contact book,  since I do change the OS kinda often,  I do end up spending 10 or more minutes manually entering
my contacts.
    BUT then my contacts are never hanging out on a cloud somewhere.

Yeah it does require a little effort,  but  I expect that after all I am looking for some privacy.

I DO still take the time to close the door when I use the bathroom also....  TOO MUCH EFFORT FOR SOME I GUESS  ?

But using your own server under your control is something different
Have you ever read the Firefox TOS ?
(08-02-2021, 03:46 PM)bcnaz Wrote: Have you ever read the Firefox TOS  ?

I am not interested in using Firefox, just an open source contact manager which you can use to host your own contacts on your own server
SORRY, That is a little different idea than how I perceived the original post in this thread.
      LINUX = CHOICES
         **BCnAZ**
               Idea
   Donate to $upport
your favorite OS Team
My solution for stuff like this is a git repo I keep in ~/stuff. It has submodules for all my projects, all my dotfiles all my public keys, my contacts in an org file and my calendar in an emacs "diary" file. Each host has a branch named after it and I merge them to/from master whenever it makes sense.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Downsides of the open-source modem firmware? alpineduck 4 2,559 10-25-2022, 05:28 PM
Last Post: Zebulon Walton
  Adafruit Pyloton Open Source Bike computer on the PinePhone? Peter Gamma 0 1,669 04-02-2021, 06:37 PM
Last Post: Peter Gamma