What's your experience with the updated touchpad firmware?
Feels nearly perfect
65.93%
Better, but still not issue-free
26.37%
No real improvements
3.30%
Firmware update failed
4.40%
91 vote(s)
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Finally... The touchpad works great!
I just installed the update. Unfortunately, the keyboard firmware update seems to have broken the functionality of the Meta key (Meta+Left and Meta+Right can no longer be used as keyboard shortcuts to tile windows for some reason), and the trackpad improvement is only barely noticeable to me. Oh well, that's what I get for tinkering with the firmware I suppose. At least everything survived and continues to more-or-less function.
(08-18-2021, 06:28 PM)KiteX3 Wrote: I just installed the update. Unfortunately, the keyboard firmware update seems to have broken the functionality of the Meta key (Meta+Left and Meta+Right can no longer be used as keyboard shortcuts to tile windows for some reason), and the trackpad improvement is only barely noticeable to me. Oh well, that's what I get for tinkering with the firmware I suppose. At least everything survived and continues to more-or-less function.

Sounds to me like you may have installed the wrong update Undecided
This message was created with 100% recycled electrons
Well, I knew about the 8 write limits of the controller, so I soldiered on with the original firmware for up until now. One could get used to the behaviour, especially if one used the PB Pro (and PB) as a daily driver (which I do).
But the new firmware is actually really, really good. Much better than the original firmware (and I run one of the first PB Pro from the first batch). Nice to see, that even such an old piece of tech still receives major improvements.

Oh, and, btw, does anyone have a "6" keycap for the original PB? Mine broke and I would hate to throw an otherwise working PC out ....
Just adding my voice  to the jubilant crowds! With this update, the PBP has now taken its place as the designated portable.

However, may I suggest two slight further improvements:

* The two-fingered scrolling could be better, it is still quite jerky
* sometimes the deceleration has a bit of a hard landing. This is seen when making slight movements with the trackpad.

I think if these were ironed out, we'd reach perfection. Thanks again for arranging & developing this update. The updater worked really well for me on Armbian Buster.
there will be no peace when they release the geese

my homepage
(08-18-2021, 11:16 PM)moonwalkers Wrote:
(08-18-2021, 06:28 PM)KiteX3 Wrote: I just installed the update. Unfortunately, the keyboard firmware update seems to have broken the functionality of the Meta key (Meta+Left and Meta+Right can no longer be used as keyboard shortcuts to tile windows for some reason), and the trackpad improvement is only barely noticeable to me. Oh well, that's what I get for tinkering with the firmware I suppose. At least everything survived and continues to more-or-less function.

Well, I just installed the update from GitHub linked in the OP. If there was a different one I was supposed to install I didn't find it in the thread here. (But I only skimmed it anyway, so that's fully possible.)

I remember this problem from earlier, and I recall fixing it by updating with a predecessor tool to that in the GitHub, so I'm a little surprised to see it re-appear.
(08-22-2021, 02:12 PM)KiteX3 Wrote:
(08-18-2021, 11:16 PM)moonwalkers Wrote:

Well, I just installed the update from GitHub linked in the OP. If there was a different one I was supposed to install I didn't find it in the thread here. (But I only skimmed it anyway, so that's fully possible.)

I remember this problem from earlier, and I recall fixing it by updating with a predecessor tool to that in the GitHub, so I'm a little surprised to see it re-appear.

The issue with Meta+Left and Meta+Right not working was part of the stock firmware. The code on which this update is based fixes that issue - I know because I use those shortcuts all the time.
This message was created with 100% recycled electrons
I just did try to update and it failed on sudo ./ update step-1 ansi

Running latest Kali with desktop booting disabled.

After powering it off and back on the built-in keyboard is not usable. Btw, I did perform step-2 after power off / on with the external keyboard.

This is my last few lines from step-2

Code:
>>> Verify mismatch: type=f2, pass=e2, received=d2
EEE Touchpad verify data failed type:242 pass:226
EEE Touchpad erase failed
>>> USB device closed

Trying to flash with the older version that I had on my SSD, step 2 also fails not. So it is bricked.

EDIT: After some debugging session on IRC with "dsimic" (#pinebook), the step-2 issue was identified by opening the bottom cover and cleaning the trackpad connector (bus cable) on both ends, and re-inserting them back to the mainboard and trackpad. I was able to finish step-2
Please make sure you also "power down" vs reboot.

I will do more updates later. Need to finish my work now.
Are firmware updates ever installed with the updates available to just click and apply, or do I have to follow these discussions regularly in case one is put out there and run a separate installer ?
Thanks
(08-23-2021, 09:50 PM)angeloweb Wrote: Are firmware updates ever installed with the updates available to just click and apply, or do I have to follow these discussions regularly in case one is put out there and run a separate installer ?
Thanks

These type of firmware updates really do update firmware and should require manual intervention.  Common Linux "firmware updates" do not involve actual firmware at all, but rather software drivers that are part of Linux.
:wq

[ SRA accepts you ]
(08-24-2021, 05:01 AM)KC9UDX Wrote:
(08-23-2021, 09:50 PM)angeloweb Wrote: Are firmware updates ever installed with the updates available to just click and apply, or do I have to follow these discussions regularly in case one is put out there and run a separate installer ?
Thanks

These type of firmware updates really do update firmware and should require manual intervention.  Common Linux "firmware updates" do not involve actual firmware at all, but rather software drivers that are part of Linux.

Is there a central place to review all available firmware updates for pinebook pros? Or would it just be found by watching all of the forum threads? Hopefully not the latter as it would be easy to miss.
Thanks.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  PBP green LED works but blank display. frerebo 1 874 02-22-2023, 03:11 AM
Last Post: KC9UDX
  Keyboard/Touchpad update SH61F83 IC zaphod80013 4 3,302 09-14-2022, 03:56 AM
Last Post: Carl
  No WIFI network discovery in any manjaro installation (but works on fedora) pineitup 1 3,192 02-05-2021, 09:10 AM
Last Post: BlueJayLinux
  Sticker on touchpad fbkr 3 5,400 11-10-2020, 10:10 PM
Last Post: pFalken
  Touchpad self generates events jpalus 0 2,018 10-18-2020, 11:38 AM
Last Post: jpalus
  Do I need the touchpad update? Paulie420 3 5,546 09-22-2020, 06:40 PM
Last Post: Paulie420
  touchpad tanzim8145 2 4,911 06-06-2020, 02:56 AM
Last Post: lot378
Bug open wifi works and secure wifi does not j3bel 2 4,143 06-02-2020, 01:55 PM
Last Post: j3bel
  Right Click touchpad sensitivity tomfowler 4 6,292 05-31-2020, 12:32 PM
Last Post: gwalker
  lol touchpad causes mouse to move all over the place when using in a car james64 0 2,159 02-05-2020, 08:16 AM
Last Post: james64