What's your experience with the updated touchpad firmware?
Feels nearly perfect
65.93%
Better, but still not issue-free
26.37%
No real improvements
3.30%
Firmware update failed
4.40%
91 vote(s)
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Finally... The touchpad works great!
This firmware feels a lot better, thanks!
That is much better.  I have not used my Pinebook Pro for almost a year since I found the touchpad to difficult to use.  Would someone be able to point me to a how to for setting natural scrolling in Manjaro. I have found that nothing works. The howto in the forum here does not work as there is no Natural Scrolling property for the touchpad.
i hope for an improvement for pinephone too...
(07-28-2021, 05:00 PM)kirfkin Wrote: Has anyone noted if this stops the random jumps (typically to the bottom left)? If so, it ends my last major frustration with the Pinebook Pro.

That's a problem I haven't encountered.  Huh

It sure seems to fix the main hysteresis problem.  Sadly it won't update from NetBSD anymore.  At least not on my installation.
:wq

[ SRA accepts you ]
Yet to see whether it prevents touchpad from starting to behave erratic until machine is rebooted, but yes, definitely an improvement. Though I wouldn't call it perfect just yet.
This message was created with 100% recycled electrons
(07-28-2021, 09:08 AM)dsimic Wrote: We already know that some Pinebook Pros came with the "lite" version of the keyboard controller IC, SH61F83, which is limited to a total of eight writes, according to the datasheet.  However, Pine64 has already contacted the keyboard manufacturer and they've assured Pine64 that SH61F83 is actually the same IC as the "full-fat" version, SH68F83, and that it supports many write cycles.  However, if your Pinebook Pro came with a SH61F83, I'd recommed that you wait until I verify those claims; my first-batch ISO Pinebook Pro came with the "lite" IC and I'll test it out by performing about 50 to 100 write cycles.

I would not know where to look wich IC it is in my machine; however, mine is a 128GB version from 2019, within the first 1000 units, when I recall correctly.
Have not use my PBP in a long time because of the touchpad frustration, so I tried it anyway.

The update went fine and i do love my "new" Pinebook Pro very much now  Smile

Touchpad response time, speed, Gestures, everything much improved and actually usable now.
Thanks a lot!
So much better. Don't forget that you can also customise the settings to tweak it even further (e.g. reduce two-finger scroll speed, or decrease tap-to-click delay)!
I did this via the Manjaro settings tool.
(07-28-2021, 06:06 PM)bhboyle Wrote: That is much better.  I have not used my Pinebook Pro for almost a year since I found the touchpad to difficult to use.  Would someone be able to point me to a how to for setting natural scrolling in Manjaro. I have found that nothing works. The howto in the forum here does not work as there is no Natural Scrolling property for the touchpad.

If by "Natural Scrolling" you mean inverse scroll direction (like macbooks), then you can find the "invert scroll direction" option in the UI trackpad settings in Manjaro.
Such an occasion that even the Peanut Vendor has arrived. Smile
:wq

[ SRA accepts you ]
Previously I was using jackhumbert's firmware, so that's the reason I was confident to upgrade because I see this one was forked from that version.

Did the update. I executed the commands over SSH (using a USB net device). The OS sees this as a new device so I had to set it up again (natural scrolling, tap to click).

The touchpad itself is working really well, it seems more accurate and I can do pixel-perfect movements. Srolling in Chromium feels almost like on a phone screen. But it also seems more sensitive to light touches, so it sometimes jumps around unexpectedly and also phantom clicks (because of tap to click). I guess I just have to relearn to use it.

At first I didn't upload the new keymap, this gave me some weird behaviour like not being able to disable numlock, after the third update command it now seems working.

I have the ANSI keyboard version.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  PBP green LED works but blank display. frerebo 1 866 02-22-2023, 03:11 AM
Last Post: KC9UDX
  Keyboard/Touchpad update SH61F83 IC zaphod80013 4 3,267 09-14-2022, 03:56 AM
Last Post: Carl
  No WIFI network discovery in any manjaro installation (but works on fedora) pineitup 1 3,183 02-05-2021, 09:10 AM
Last Post: BlueJayLinux
  Sticker on touchpad fbkr 3 5,384 11-10-2020, 10:10 PM
Last Post: pFalken
  Touchpad self generates events jpalus 0 2,013 10-18-2020, 11:38 AM
Last Post: jpalus
  Do I need the touchpad update? Paulie420 3 5,529 09-22-2020, 06:40 PM
Last Post: Paulie420
  touchpad tanzim8145 2 4,896 06-06-2020, 02:56 AM
Last Post: lot378
Bug open wifi works and secure wifi does not j3bel 2 4,135 06-02-2020, 01:55 PM
Last Post: j3bel
  Right Click touchpad sensitivity tomfowler 4 6,275 05-31-2020, 12:32 PM
Last Post: gwalker
  lol touchpad causes mouse to move all over the place when using in a car james64 0 2,154 02-05-2020, 08:16 AM
Last Post: james64