First bootloop, now frozen
Bug 
Hi!

I just received my delivery with two Pinetimes. One of them is acting up. When I first started it up it got stuck in a bootloop with white/green pinecone logo. I noticed that if I held down the button it would start with green, go to blue pinecone and finally red. I was not able to turn it off.

I let it sit for a few hours until the battery went dead and when I started it up it goes to a splash screen saying infinity time and then freezes. It is possible to hold the button to restart it, but it again hangs on the splash screen...

Suggestions? The other unit seems to be working fine...
(07-20-2021, 04:06 AM)Bjössi Wrote: Hi!

I just received my delivery with two Pinetimes. One of them is acting up. When I first started it up it got stuck in a bootloop with white/green pinecone logo. I noticed that if I held down the button it would start with green, go to blue pinecone and finally red. I was not able to turn it off.

I let it sit for a few hours until the battery went dead and when I started it up it goes to a splash screen saying infinity time and then freezes. It is possible to hold the button to restart it, but it again hangs on the splash screen...

Suggestions? The other unit seems to be working fine...

Holding down the button causes a force reset, this can and will cause issues like you've encountered if done at the wrong moment.

When the PineTime boots/reboots, it displays a PineCone and you have around 5 seconds to take an action:
  • if you do nothing, the PineCone will turn to green, and the watch boots normally,
  • if you hold the button until the PineCone turns to blue, then the watch will load the previous firmware,
  • if you keep pressing the button, the PineCone turns to red, and the watch loads the Recovery firwmare:
you then have a chance to upload another firmware OTA, in case you had an issue.
Aha, thanks!

I downloaded the nRF app and I am able to find the unit when I scan. I found some guide on how to push firmware using nRF. It wasnt for infinitime but I suppose that process should be the same regardless what firmware I push. I also assume that it is Infinitime 0.14.0 I want for the vanilla Pinetime experience :)
I will tinker with this later tonight.

It would have been useful if there was a message on the splash screen stating "Recovery mode, ready to recieve OTA update. MAC address: blablabla" or something. Then I would had been less worried :) But at the moment I all just happy it isnt a brand new paper weight I have in front of me!
All good! Seems to be fully functional again! However 0.14.0 isnt the most recent firmware so I will have to do it one more time
https://github.com/JF002/InfiniTime/releases/tag/1.2.0

Now in retrospect, I wonder if it was me who messed it up initially. I think I tried to turn the unit off by holding the button pressed... Oh well, lessons learned :)

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

My unit does this since a few days:
1. It boots, shows green pinecone
2. Shows blue pinecone
3. Shows red pinecone
4. After a second or two it starts rebooting

Pressing the button seems not to change anything.
I let the battery drain two times already but not yet any success to get it booting or connected to Gadgetbridge.

Will try to let it drain a few days and see what happens.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Pinetime Screen issue after bootloop troubles Spater 12 5,537 09-15-2022, 05:03 PM
Last Post: wibble