Is there a functional o/s for pinephone!?
Hello,
I've been troubleshooting pinephone patiently, to the best of my limited ability, for 3 months. I thought I had a basic functioning phone with Phosh 11 but an update hung it on login and with the new Phosh 12 I no longer receive sms messages. I didn't have huge expectations for the pinephone but a basic functionning cell network, phone/sms/data, was one of them. You know, not pretty but working - sound quality on phone in Phosh 11 was acceptable with earphones. I reinserted the sim card into my old blackberry z30 to confirm that sending and receiving sms still works on my network, telus/koodo Canada. And yes it does. So my question is, is there something that can do this right now? It seems like there are 50 flavours for pinephone that are semi-broken? I wonder what would happen if they all got together to work on one o/s? Right now I need a phone that works reliably so I'll stick to the old blackberry which at least does the cellular network stuff. I still have a shred of hope that a decent system will pop up in the next couple of months/half-year and I'll monitor this forum. Thanks for all the help! I know a lot of people are making a big effort but at the end of the day, I need a phone that works at least at a basic level.
You mentioned what shell you are using (phosh), but I did not see which OS?  I ask because I am on Mobian which I think a lot of people would consider daily driver material, and I was pretty happy with, however something broke for me recently as well, and now my phone hangs on boot.  Sad
Cheers,
TRS-80

What is Free Software and why is it so important for society?

Protocols, not Platforms

For the most Linux-y experience on your Linux phone, try SXMO!

I am (nominally) the Armbian Maintainer for PineBook Pro (although severely lacking in time these days).
did you try Lomiri / Ubuntu touch? There are many apps, and even Internet accounts work with a workaround / activation.
Have you checked with mmcli if there are any missing SMS listed and if the pipe maybe has been clogged up by an MMS? This can happen since MMS handling isn't properly implemented yet. You can check the queue with
Code:
mmcli -m any --messaging-list-sms
read any of those SMS specified by its index with
Code:
mmcli -m any --sms=[index]
and delete it by
Code:
mmcli -m any --messaging-delete-sms=[index]
So if there are any messages in the list, delete them and when the queue is empty, check if receiving SMS works again.
(07-11-2021, 04:40 AM)kqlnut Wrote: Have you checked with mmcli if there are any missing SMS listed and if the pipe maybe has been clogged up by an MMS? This can happen since MMS handling isn't properly implemented yet. You can check the queue with
Code:
mmcli -m any --messaging-list-sms
read any of those SMS specified by its index with
Code:
mmcli -m any --sms=[index]
and delete it by
Code:
mmcli -m any --messaging-delete-sms=[index]
So if there are any messages in the list, delete them and when the queue is empty, check if receiving SMS works again.

thanks for this. i vaguely remember seeing this solution somewhere before but couldn't find it. i'm using an image called 'manjaro-arm phosh beta12' for the person who asked. when i put the sim back in the blackberry it cleared the queue and downloaded all my old messages from the pinephone. right now, for the sake of my sanity, i don't want to put the sim back in the pinephone. i will bookmark this and try again in a while.

thanks for this. i vaguely remember seeing this solution somewhere before but couldn't find it. i'm using an image called 'manjaro-arm phosh beta12' for the person who asked. when i put the sim back in the blackberry it cleared the queue and downloaded all my old messages from the pinephone. right now, for the sake of my sanity, i don't want to put the sim back in the pinephone. i will bookmark this and try again in a while.
[/quote]
(07-11-2021, 03:54 AM)Uturn Wrote: did you try Lomiri / Ubuntu touch? There are many apps, and even Internet accounts work with a workaround / activation.

EDIT: Not sure if you were talking to OP or me, but since I replied already (and I feel it's relevant) I will leave my original response (below) after all. /EDIT

Thanks for the suggestion.  No I never did.  Because Debian (and thus, Mobian) are much more in line with my political beliefs re: Free Software (this is most important, for me personally).  Also, I am a Debian user everywhere else for a few years now (desktop, laptops, several SBCs running Armbian, etc.) and so I am most familiar there.[0]

In addition, the following (IMO, excellent) article I read some time ago from amosbatto really convinced me that Phosh seemed like "the right horse to back" so to speak:

The strategic advantages of Phosh for mobile Linux

And the more time passes (so far) only seems to bear out the predictions he made (now getting on almost 1 year ago).

[0] In fact, I hope to incorporate this new mobile platform into the rest of my dotfiles eventually.  Wouldn't that be nice?!  I know we are still in early days here, and there are rough edges, but it's things like that which get me very excited!  For instance, I just compiled the feature/handy branch of Dino (XMPP client) directly on the PinePhone!  Stuff like that is simply not possible on Android (without learning a lot of Java crap, which I am not interested in).  Anyway, I digress...  Smile
Cheers,
TRS-80

Protocols, not Platforms

I am (nominally) the Armbian Maintainer for PineBook Pro (although severely lacking in time these days).
interesting article! and yes, i got the pinephone primarily because i didn't like the M.O. of the Big Mobile. i used to use slackwareand hava a lot of respect for debian and their politics and historical contribution to linux. i tried mobian and all the desktop icons suddenly disappeared so i quickly switched back to phosh manjaro-arm.
(07-12-2021, 08:09 AM)Rainer Wrote: I tried mobian and all the desktop icons suddenly disappeared so i quickly switched back to phosh manjaro-arm.

I have read a lot of comments saying Mobian is one of the more stable distros at this time, and this has been my experience as well. So that sounds like something may have been going on there, but who knows.

We are certainly in early days (of this Linux phone ecosystem in general), big improvements can happen in span of only months. I read/watch some of these guys who do reviews on GNU/Linux phones, and they often seem to comment to that effect when circling back to some distro they last tried some months ago.

I already confessed to being Debian partisan, but maybe you prefer Arch based distro (many do, to each their own, it's OK, I hope we can still be friends, LOL).
Cheers,
TRS-80

Protocols, not Platforms

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  pinephone virtual keyboard aular 4 304 04-10-2024, 03:45 PM
Last Post: aular
  PinePhone Doesn't Boot LED Doesn't Show Any Signs When Charging dorkydev 1 200 04-02-2024, 11:50 AM
Last Post: Kevin Kofler
  PinePhone - boot from microSD laserpyramid 5 474 03-06-2024, 06:37 PM
  Are you using the Pinephone as your daily driver? jro 157 108,188 02-18-2024, 11:33 PM
  2020 PinePhone Manjaro CE EU for sale, name your price astrojuanlu 7 1,722 02-14-2024, 04:51 PM
Last Post: astrojuanlu
  pinephone is not bootble for the box. ijij 1 576 01-19-2024, 01:29 PM
Last Post: fxc
  Multiple issues with the Pinephone MTXP 12 2,262 12-28-2023, 07:55 AM
Last Post: MTXP
  pinephone repair shop shengchieh 0 477 12-26-2023, 02:42 PM
Last Post: shengchieh
  sudo nano file saving pinephone beta edition CharlesGnarley 4 1,638 12-22-2023, 03:44 PM
Last Post: Kevin Kofler
  Can't get Mobian on PinePhone to recognise USB-C docking bar duncan_bayne 9 6,859 12-04-2023, 02:14 AM
Last Post: Peter Gamma