My First Month with PinePhone has Been...
Confused ... Challenging, to say the least... Being a Linux noob, I have probably bitten off more than I can chew when it comes to "fixing" the many problems I have had with Manjaro Plasma so far... to the point that the mods I made reduced the usability of the phone to zero - with the only way I could use it being via ssh.

Rolleyes ... Do I wish I had paid heed to the dis-claimer about "advanced Linux users only"?  ...hell no - I just popped a new SD card in and started again... but this time with Manjaro Phosh - which so far, has been a much better experience.

Wink ... I still can't get it to work as a basic phone, but Terminal works great in Phosh, so at the very least I have spent $150 on a lovely little pocket computer that I can use to learn Linux on at any time of the day - wherever I am... which is nice.

Tongue ... And one day soon, I'm sure some of you lovely, clever, advanced Linux users will fix all the problems and let me know how it's done ...until then, I've got some command line to be getting on with... cheers guys x x x
(06-28-2021, 04:47 PM)Dog House Dave Wrote: ...
... I still can't get it to work as a basic phone, but Terminal works great in Phosh, so at the very least I have spent $150 on a lovely little pocket computer that I can use to learn Linux on at any time of the day - wherever I am

Try Mobian (/phosh) on an SDcard and you may get phone and SMS ok.
  • ROCKPro64 v2.1 2GB, 16Gb eMMC for rootfs, SX8200Pro 512GB NVMe for /home, HDMI video & sound, Bluetooth keyboard & mouse. Arch (6.2 kernel, Openbox desktop) for general purpose daily PC.
  • PinePhone Pro Explorer Edition, daily driver, rk2aw & U-boot on SPI, Arch/SXMO & Arch/phosh on eMMC
  • PinePhone BraveHeart now v1.2b 3/32Gb, Tow-boot with Arch/SXMO on eMMC
Yep, Mobian working fine for me so far. Other than usual glitches, I'm getting close to using it as daily driver. For me it is "good enough" and better than Android, which I am totally disgusted with by now. Of course everyone else criteria will differ. Wink

If you know nothing about GNU/Linux however, diving in the terminal and learning is not a bad place to start! I did just a few years ago with SBCs and I'm so glad I did. So I think you have the right attitude for ultimate success. It does take a while though, so be patient and I hope you are enjoying the journey!
Cheers,
TRS-80

What is Free Software and why is it so important for society?

Protocols, not Platforms

For the most Linux-y experience on your Linux phone, try SXMO!

I am (nominally) the Armbian Maintainer for PineBook Pro (although severely lacking in time these days).
(06-28-2021, 04:47 PM)Dog House Dave Wrote: Just made an account to say something. What a good-assed OP. My thoughts exactly.

I've been watching this whole ecosystem for years, and a pinephone with keyboard and a box of other random accessories from the store that I never knew I needed will be mine. That desktop power supply looks good too.

LoRa is coming ffs!

great work people.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  PinePhone - boot from microSD laserpyramid 5 307 03-06-2024, 06:37 PM
Last Post: aular
  Are you using the Pinephone as your daily driver? jro 157 105,166 02-18-2024, 11:33 PM
Last Post: aular
  2020 PinePhone Manjaro CE EU for sale, name your price astrojuanlu 7 1,525 02-14-2024, 04:51 PM
Last Post: astrojuanlu
  pinephone is not bootble for the box. ijij 1 464 01-19-2024, 01:29 PM
Last Post: fxc
  Multiple issues with the Pinephone MTXP 12 1,941 12-28-2023, 07:55 AM
Last Post: MTXP
  pinephone repair shop shengchieh 0 384 12-26-2023, 02:42 PM
Last Post: shengchieh
  sudo nano file saving pinephone beta edition CharlesGnarley 4 1,480 12-22-2023, 03:44 PM
Last Post: Kevin Kofler
  Can't get Mobian on PinePhone to recognise USB-C docking bar duncan_bayne 9 6,608 12-04-2023, 02:14 AM
Last Post: Peter Gamma
  Pinephone not booting, always vibrating alexander12 7 4,671 11-22-2023, 06:46 PM
Last Post: Scary Guy
  Pinephone on Verizon chachi 3 993 10-09-2023, 11:26 AM
Last Post: alaraajavamma