Shame on pinephone
(06-24-2021, 11:27 AM)dooblewoops Wrote:
(06-21-2021, 01:19 AM)TRS-80 Wrote: I tell you the problem is not the device, the problem is customer service. He not know give correctly instruction. You recept a device dont work in KDE plasma Mobile, and he tell me download the beta edition, not KDE beta test. Of course the resultat test is not good, in more a lot youtube video tell Pinephone is so easy for other OS with SD card. You anderstand i dont installing mobian in eMMC if my device dont work correctly, if my device hase a factory problem. That's an eventuality you know. I dont no change the eMMC OS (for warranty) before i'm sure the device have not a factory problem. Now is good my device work on mobian eMMC. Problem resolved

To clarify, these are not my words.  Seems to me like a formatting / quoting error.
Cheers,
TRS-80

What is Free Software and why is it so important for society?

Protocols, not Platforms

For the most Linux-y experience on your Linux phone, try SXMO!

I am (nominally) the Armbian Maintainer for PineBook Pro (although severely lacking in time these days).
Just for your information, I'm buying a Samsung S3 neo for 20$, with 1.5gb ram (only), flashing with ubport installer, and it works better than pinephone.

Visit the main page pinephone, never it is writing this product is not finish, never it is writing this phone not warranty for using normaly. No is publicity. In more the proof customer service is very bad, he have not technicien, and it sends you to the forum. of course you are happy customer with fonctionaly phone, and you not anderstand a customer not satisfact. For you it is not possible a pinephone defect. But yes it possible. And i insist, 15% for restocking, that's crasy, he restoking the defect phone. Check the Volla phone forum, a phone with Ubuntu touch, only satisfact customer. Yes 450$ but it better then a lamp torch for 200$, named pinephone. A phone is not a gadget, is important for every day.
(07-20-2021, 10:48 AM)dooblewoops Wrote: Just for your information, I'm buying a  Samsung S3 neo for 20$, with 1.5gb ram (only), flashing with ubport installer, and it works better than pinephone.
OK, hope you enjoy it.

(07-20-2021, 10:48 AM)dooblewoops Wrote: Visit the main page pinephone
OK, nice web design.

(07-20-2021, 10:48 AM)dooblewoops Wrote: never it is writing this product is not finish
What is this? → https://pine64.com/product/pinephone-bet...e-package/
Quote:Beta Edition PinePhones are aimed solely at early adopters. More specifically, only intend for these units to find their way into the hands of users with extensive Linux experience.
and
Quote:This is the Beta Edition of the PinePhone. The pre-installed Manjaro with Plasma Mobile OS, that ships with this edition of the PinePhone, is a beta software build. This effectively means that while core functionality of the PinePhone still an ongoing effort. Thus, the device cannot considered a consumer-ready product.

What is this? → https://wiki.pine64.org/index.php/PinePh...e_software
Quote:Bear in mind that the software for Linux on phones is very early, with most of the software being in alpha or beta state. That's especially also the case for scalability of applications, their availability and practicability, any hardware function implementations and the firmware. The software is provided as is. There is no warranty for the software, not even for merchantability or fitness for a particular purpose.

A special snowflake that deliberately ignores important text is not the same as the website is not mentioning it anywhere.

(07-20-2021, 10:48 AM)dooblewoops Wrote: never it is writing this phone not warranty for using normaly. No is publicity.
https://pine64.com/product/pinephone-bet...e-package/
Quote:Device Warranty: 30 Days

(07-20-2021, 10:48 AM)dooblewoops Wrote: In more the proof customer service is very bad, he have not technicien, and it sends you to the forum.
Most of the technical support is provided by the community, so you might either get answers instantly or after a few years, depending on how much knowledge there already is.
This is something we always have to deal with as an open source community, this is not Microsoft or Apple where you can just call a random office monkey who would connect to you over proprietary telemetry to see exactly what's going on.

(07-20-2021, 10:48 AM)dooblewoops Wrote: and you not anderstand a customer not satisfact.
Or rather you "not anderstand" the difference between a huge multinational corpo that has no dependencies on anyone else and some group of hobbyists that relies on outsiders to offer full products.

(07-20-2021, 10:48 AM)dooblewoops Wrote: For you it is not possible a pinephone defect. But yes it possible.
Did you seriously expect a product that can't get defects?
Such a product literally doesn't exist.

(07-20-2021, 10:48 AM)dooblewoops Wrote: And i insist, 15% for restocking, that's crasy, he restoking the defect phone.
Any evidence for that?

(07-20-2021, 10:48 AM)dooblewoops Wrote: Check the Volla phone forum, a phone with Ubuntu touch, only satisfact customer.
Good for them.

(07-20-2021, 10:48 AM)dooblewoops Wrote: Yes 450$ but it better then a lamp torch for 200$, named pinephone.
Rolleyes

(07-20-2021, 10:48 AM)dooblewoops Wrote: A phone is not a gadget, is important for every day.
Oh yes it is!
A smartphone is a consumer toy at best, never intended to do any serious stuff on it, it's just that way too many people treat it like a PC replacement for some reason.
And yes, some banks might force you into using a phone to use their banks, yes some communist countries use or plan to use the SCAM-1984 death jab "passport" app, yes some governments might have an app for their stuff and all that.
But the question is, if any of them force you into using a phone, are they seriously worth your time and money in the first place?
You can just find another bank that doesn't use this bullshit, governments can be ignored (rather they need to be ignored, compliance is exactly what leads to what they're doing in the first place), and businesses requiring the death jab "passport" should be massively boycotted until they start running out of money and "change their mind" to save their businesses.
母語は日本語ですが、英語も喋れます(ry
(07-20-2021, 10:48 AM)dooblewoops Wrote: Just for your information, I'm buying a  Samsung S3 neo for 20$, with 1.5gb ram (only), flashing with ubport installer, and it works better than pinephone. 

Visit the main page pinephone, never it is writing this product is not finish, never it is writing this phone not warranty for using normaly. No is publicity. In more the proof customer service is very bad, he have not technicien, and it sends you to the forum. of course you are happy customer with fonctionaly phone, and you not anderstand a customer not satisfact. For you it is not possible a pinephone defect. But yes it possible. And i insist, 15% for restocking, that's crasy, he restoking the defect phone. Check the Volla phone forum, a phone with Ubuntu touch, only satisfact customer. Yes 450$ but it better then a lamp torch for 200$, named pinephone. A phone is not a gadget, is important for every day.

Dooblewoops, congratulations on finding a device that is most useful to you at a good price.  I feel like an apple or android phone is probably the only choices for a consumer class telephone buyer like you and well past 99% of the population at this time.
While telephone devices from the duopoly are generally anti-consumer(end user) devices they are designed to be easy to use even if they also limit your choices to those that your carrier hopes to profit from.
Pinephone is for development of bleeding edge mobile OSs on FOSS friendly hardware, you might be able to make phone calls on a pinephone with some of the available OS options but it is a first and foremost a hacker platform.

I'm new to Pinephone too, I got mine yesterday and also had the updating problem. I ran the update through terminal to get the most recent version. If you google "How to update Manjaro the right way" you will get instructions. I'm still having a couple issues but, it is to be expected with an experimental BETA product. Hope this helps!
I would suggest using dd from the command line to flash the image to SD or eMMC, rather than the "balena etcher" software.
It has worked flawlessly for me for checking out at least half a dozen of the available software images, and I have finally settled on Manjaro-ARM-phosh installed on the eMMC drive. Don't give up too soon or automatically assume the hardware is defective.

I seriously cannot tell if you're a troll, or you went out of your way to not read or do any research on what you bought. The Pinephone has disclaimers on its product page so you cannot buy one legitimately without seeing the warnings literally in red. If you are seriously angry, this is clearly not the device for you. If you're a troll, then congratulations, you have successfully irritated anyone who read this comment. Stop it.
could be related or not.

i noticed a bug, but not in jumpdrive software, but in host o.s.. in my case debian x86_64. some cases debian host messes sizes of block devices, or usb memories. in my cases size went from 32GB to 6GB, so of course things fail in this case. other block device information could be wrong as well. this issue has happened two times for me. rebooting host o.s. helps. this bug might be related to "eject" command what i use a lot.
(10-13-2021, 10:13 PM)XLPops Wrote:

I'm new to Pinephone too, I got mine yesterday and also had the updating problem. I ran the update through terminal to get the most recent version. If you google "How to update Manjaro the right way" you will get instructions. I'm still having a couple issues but, it is to be expected with an experimental BETA product. Hope this helps!
For what it's worth if you switch over to Phosh as apposed to Plasma Mobile (which is what the phone ships with) then you will probably have a much better time. Just look for either Manjaro/Arch/Mobian/PMOS Phosh and you can get any of those OS' with Phosh.

AFAIK ubports images for Android devices are not mainline Linux, means some Android "layers" still needed and running. Pine Phone is designed for mainline Linux. (Thanks Pine64!) So it's like comparing apples and oranges...

Anyway, some research before buying would have helped.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  PinePhone - boot from microSD laserpyramid 5 299 03-06-2024, 06:37 PM
Last Post: aular
  Are you using the Pinephone as your daily driver? jro 157 105,079 02-18-2024, 11:33 PM
Last Post: aular
  2020 PinePhone Manjaro CE EU for sale, name your price astrojuanlu 7 1,523 02-14-2024, 04:51 PM
Last Post: astrojuanlu
  pinephone is not bootble for the box. ijij 1 459 01-19-2024, 01:29 PM
Last Post: fxc
  Multiple issues with the Pinephone MTXP 12 1,937 12-28-2023, 07:55 AM
Last Post: MTXP
  pinephone repair shop shengchieh 0 381 12-26-2023, 02:42 PM
Last Post: shengchieh
  sudo nano file saving pinephone beta edition CharlesGnarley 4 1,478 12-22-2023, 03:44 PM
Last Post: Kevin Kofler
  Can't get Mobian on PinePhone to recognise USB-C docking bar duncan_bayne 9 6,600 12-04-2023, 02:14 AM
Last Post: Peter Gamma
  Pinephone not booting, always vibrating alexander12 7 4,665 11-22-2023, 06:46 PM
Last Post: Scary Guy
  Pinephone on Verizon chachi 3 991 10-09-2023, 11:26 AM
Last Post: alaraajavamma