Official Debian support
(10-26-2021, 05:31 AM)Humid Stylus Wrote: The one I had installed then gives:
uname -r = 5.10.0-8-arm64
uname -v = #1 SMP Debian 5.10.46-4 (2021-08-03)

after update today
uname -r = 5.10.0-9-arm64
uname -v = #1 SMP Debain 5.10.70-1 (2021-09-30)

No change for the little testing I did.

Great !!!

I realized that I broke u-boot by choosing automatic disk partitioning. So, I repeated my test with Debian Installer (netinst from 4.10.2021 prepared according to README). I installed Debian 9 Stretch and updated it to get newer u-boot installed. Then I booted Bullseye netinst image and choose already existing /boot and / partitions (an leave the space for u-boot). The installer complained that the kernel cannot be installed. The next day I realized that inability to install the kernel is not due to broken installer image, nor due to inability to fetch it from the net, but rather due to too little space on /boot partition. So my next try was to give up the /boot partition and install all to one / partition. The installation completed and the system restarted. I can see the power led, so it starts for sure. However, no output to screen. This is exactly the same situation as if I install Bullseye with Daniel Thompson's script and then install official kernel from Debian repository.

Can you please help me what is missing on my side? Should I use different u-boot? (I tried several times to flash u-boot - from Debian and Manjaro - with no success. Probably I do it in wrong way). Should I recompile the kernel with each its update?

Please advise.
No, it's not the exact output but it is that kernel version.

I have an EFI partition using systemd-bootd, which loads a loader config that has the /proc/cmdline--nothing fancy, initrd, ftd which points to the dtb on the efi partition, root, and rw mostly.

Can you share yours?

I see some examples (and the default Manjaro) shows a few video= arguments.

Do you have a /dev/fb0? I saw a kernel regression that this doesn't get setup when using EFI.

I'm also assuming you're doing extlinux boot?

You have a /extlinux directory on your boot volume?

Can you paste the output of it?
The Heller Approach[url=https://thehellerapproach.com/][/url]
I know Debian Thopson's script creates GPT partition scheme and EFI partition. In my tests custom 5.7 kernel (provided by the script) works fine, however Debian official kernel (+ its configuration in /boot/extlinux/extlinux.conf updated by u-boot-update) does not have DP output. Have I to manually add some kernel arguments? In this case any kernel update will result in missing video output, because new configuration will be generated automatically. Unfortunately, I have no UART cable to see if I have /dev/fb0 device.

Debian Stretch by mrfixit uses MBR partition scheme with FAT32 boot partition. In my attempts I use MBR partition scheme with boot partition ext4 and root btrfs. I install u-boot manually and this may be the reason for failure. There are just too many choices, from which rather few are working. So I try and guess.

My plan is the following (inspired by https://codeberg.org/txt.file/blog/src/b...-debian.md):
1. Prepare Debian Stretch by mrfixit on SD card and use it as live media.
2. Boot from SD and partition eMMC as MBR with the partitions:
#1 (starts at sector 32768) Ext4 512 MB for /boot (I plan to use btrfs for root and u-boot doesn't support it (?))
#2 4G swap
#3 btrfs, all the rest for / (I use NVMe for data)
3. Download from packages.debian.org the package u-boot-rockchip, unarchive it with dpkg -x, update ./usr/bin/u-boot-install-rockchip to point to local u-boot firmware (by changing /usr to ../), then run ./u-boot-install-rockchip /dev/mmcblk2.
4. Download Debian Installer from https://d-i.debian.org/daily-images/arm6...rd-images/ and prepare it as zcat firmware.pinebook-pro-rk3399.img.gz partition.img.gz > netinstall.img. After that write the netinst.img to USB stick.
5. Shutdown Pinebook Pro, eject SD, put USB to USB-3 port (USB-2 is necessary for ethernet, because WiFi is not working during installation (?)) and boot the Pinebook Pro. This image does not always boot. I am not sure if Pinebook Pro loads u-boot from eMMC or from USB stick.
6. Follow installation instructions. Do not repartition the eMMC, do not reformat the partitions, just put mount points. Do not install any bootloader.
7. Just before exiting the installer, enter the command line and execute the following (just copy / paste from document):
mount --rbind /dev /target/dev
mount --rbind /proc /target/proc
mount --rbind /sys /target/sys
chroot /target
wget -O /etc/kernel/postinst.d/zz-sync-dtb https://salsa.debian.org/debian/u-boot-m...z-sync-dtb
chmod u+x,g+x,o+x /etc/kernel/postinst.d/zz-sync-dtb
/etc/kernel/postinst.d/zz-sync-dtb $(uname -r)
apt --install-recommends --install-suggests install u-boot-menu
u-boot-update # this copies ftd to /boot and creates /boot/extlinux/extlinux.conf

After that finish the installation, shutdown the Pinebook Pro and eject USB stick. When starting, Pinebook Pro either does not start or does not have DP output. I have not detected the pattern, because with each new try I do something differently. No success until now.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Debian on Pinebook Pro u974615 7 804 03-31-2024, 10:11 AM
Last Post: u974615
  install debian on pbp jsch 7 3,965 11-22-2023, 04:22 PM
Last Post: TRS-80
  How to mainline kernel on daniel thompson's debian installer? hellojack 14 7,254 09-07-2023, 09:38 PM
Last Post: Der Geist der Maschine
  Unable to install Debian Bullseye because of missing wifi firmware Pino64 7 3,953 07-15-2023, 02:58 PM
Last Post: u974615
  Armbian is [edit: no longer] dropping support for Pinebook Pro TRS-80 4 4,086 12-23-2022, 12:01 AM
Last Post: TRS-80
Question Debian (Vanilla) no output on display after Kernel update (6.0.8-1) as365n4 1 1,247 12-09-2022, 12:43 PM
Last Post: as365n4
  Unsuccessful using danielt's unofficial Debian installer on the PBP joeDoe 2 2,297 12-09-2022, 05:04 AM
Last Post: ndp
  Armbian VPU decoding support coming soon LivingLinux 0 782 11-13-2022, 02:32 PM
Last Post: LivingLinux
  How can I install Debian? ImmyChan 1 2,000 10-19-2022, 03:09 AM
Last Post: alpopa
  when i close my laptop lid the screen doesn't turn on? (debian bullseye based) computerc 3 1,854 09-23-2022, 08:37 PM
Last Post: computerc