New phone - has issues?
Hi.
Received the phone a few days ago. Set up and updated first time.
Battery only charges to 85% no matter what and then system shows this fluctuating wildly during use so not reliable. I understand some think this normal. I do not.
Now, after updating I cannot get into the phone. I enter my pin to unlock, it let's me into the app I had open, calendar for example, the screen flashes quickly, and then goes blank before returning to the lock screen. Repeat to fade. Even after hard restart holding power button. I am no Linux code king but this and the general sluggishness of the phone lead me to believe its flawed.
Can anyone offer guidance? I'm prepared to put up with a device that's slightly slower than I'm used to but this seems excessive and with the loop it seems stuck on, unusable.
I also wonder if anyone can advise what sort of experience, speed wise, I should expect? I have taken videos and can upload if it helps. Should I contact support to return? Thanks for any help. J.

Update - installed Manjaro Phosh on SD card and booted from that. Experience is infinitely better and as expected really so must be an OS install issue from the factory process. As soon as I get the OK from support to flash new OS I will.
So, question is: Manjaro phosh, Mobian or Sailfish?
Did you try installing an OS to an SD card and booting that? The Pinephone is no powerhouse, but it should run the same as any lower end android phone.
(05-03-2021, 11:01 AM)AndroidMancave Wrote: Now, after updating I cannot get into the phone. I enter my pin to unlock, it let's me into the app I had open, calendar for example, the screen flashes quickly, and then goes blank before returning to the lock screen. Repeat to fade.
Have you tried to set the screen timeout values using Settings -> Screen?
That writes incorrect values to corresponding file. More information here:
https://forum.pine64.org/showthread.php?tid=13744
(05-04-2021, 12:45 AM)rocket2nfinity Wrote: Did you try installing an OS to an SD card and booting that? The Pinephone is no powerhouse, but it should run the same as any lower end android phone.

Hello, thanks for the reply. No. Haven't tried anything yet for two reasons:
1 - waiting to hear from Pine Support as I don't want to void warranty etc but very happy to try Sailfish as had this years ago and loved it
2 - device will not let me navigate within it long enough to do anything useful, screen flashes and goes blank/back to pin code screen
(05-04-2021, 02:23 AM)acrux Wrote:
(05-03-2021, 11:01 AM)AndroidMancave Wrote: Now, after updating I cannot get into the phone. I enter my pin to unlock, it let's me into the app I had open, calendar for example, the screen flashes quickly, and then goes blank before returning to the lock screen. Repeat to fade.
Have you tried to set the screen timeout values using Settings -> Screen?
That writes incorrect values to corresponding file. More information here:
https://forum.pine64.org/showthread.php?tid=13744
Hello, thanks for the reply.
No, not tried anything yet as waiting to hear from support - don't want to void any warranty etc or possible return and, the phone won't stay on long enough or on the correct screen or app long enough for me to do anything useful with it - keeps flashing and heads back to a blank screen and/or pin code lock screen.
Installing Sailfish to an SD card, inserting and booting from it, will not void your warranty

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Looking for the "non-phone" OS wakyct 7 932 03-14-2024, 03:51 AM
Last Post: MTXP
  Writing apps/programs for pine phone katesfb 7 4,743 03-11-2024, 10:42 PM
Last Post: Emelia525
  How To Access the Pine Phone Auxillary microSD Without Removing Card pinephoneuser22 2 791 01-09-2024, 07:02 PM
Last Post: britelite
  Multiple issues with the Pinephone MTXP 12 1,937 12-28-2023, 07:55 AM
Last Post: MTXP
  Can the Pine Phone be serviced and updated remotely? profileyourcity 3 989 10-02-2023, 05:19 PM
Last Post: Zebulon Walton
  UBports on pine phone? robb777 16 3,417 09-01-2023, 04:26 AM
Last Post: gregb49
  US Cell Phone Service Providers with prices and phone numbers - UPDATED jovval 0 680 07-01-2023, 01:25 AM
Last Post: jovval
  Loving my pine phone after about a year of not undata 0 655 05-11-2023, 02:23 PM
Last Post: undata
  New Pinephone is dead. eMMC, boot, hardware issues. Shane 4 1,344 05-10-2023, 03:31 AM
Last Post: fxc
  New Phone Opening Issues LuluFrance 5 2,025 03-15-2023, 05:33 AM
Last Post: anonymous