Anyone using a hardware token?
I'm thinking about buying a Pine Phone. I don't have much requirements and most of them seem to be covered.
The last one is the usage of u2f hardware tokens.
Currently I use a Yubikey with NFC and USB. I know that NFC is not possible, but I hope USB is possible.
Anyone had succes with a Yubikey or any other brand?

Thank for your response
I just tested my YubiKey 5ci in Firefox, in Mobian, and it worked: I was able to login to a website that requires 2FA where I've configured this YubiKey)
(04-29-2021, 06:32 PM)pajux Wrote: I just tested my YubiKey 5ci in Firefox, in Mobian, and it worked: I was able to login to a website that requires 2FA where I've configured this YubiKey)

Thanks for getting back to me. I presume that's the U2F part. Do you also have something working for OTP, as that requires the YubiAuth app or something compatible?
(04-30-2021, 12:14 AM)p121458 Wrote:
(04-29-2021, 06:32 PM)pajux Wrote: I just tested my YubiKey 5ci in Firefox, in Mobian, and it worked: I was able to login to a website that requires 2FA where I've configured this YubiKey)

Thanks for getting back to me. I presume that's the U2F part. Do you also have something working for OTP, as that requires the YubiAuth app or something compatible?

Yeah it was U2F. I've never really dug into the OTP or GPG functionality of the Yubikey or Purism key, as I never got them working reliably with any app I tried or being cross-platform or usable across devices.  But yes if those require apps to work and the apps aren't available for ARM (e.g. non open source apps like, I presume, the Yubikey app), then unless there's an open source replacement that works well on the mobile phone screen size, probably not going to work.
(04-30-2021, 07:37 PM)pajux Wrote: Yeah it was U2F. I've never really dug into the OTP or GPG functionality of the Yubikey or Purism key, as I never got them working reliably with any app I tried or being cross-platform or usable across devices.  But yes if those require apps to work and the apps aren't available for ARM (e.g. non open source apps like, I presume, the Yubikey app), then unless there's an open source replacement that works well on the mobile phone screen size, probably not going to work.

The Yubioath desktop app is actually OSS: https://github.com/Yubico/yubioath-desktop
I just looked into the composition of the app, and it should be doable on ARM. On a first glance al dependencies are available on ARM.
When I looked further I saw this: https://packages.debian.org/bullseye/yubioath-desktop
It's already available for Debian on ARM. Smile

Going to look if I can run Mobian on an emulator, to see if I can get it working. When it works, there's only one point of doubt left. The huge size of the PinePhone. Confused Smile
(05-01-2021, 01:15 AM)p121458 Wrote: The Yubioath desktop app is actually OSS: https://github.com/Yubico/yubioath-desktop
I just looked into the composition of the app, and it should be doable on ARM. On a first glance al dependencies are available on ARM.
When I looked further I saw this: https://packages.debian.org/bullseye/yubioath-desktop
It's already available for Debian on ARM. Smile

Going to look if I can run Mobian on an emulator, to see if I can get it working. When it works, there's only one point of doubt left. The huge size of the PinePhone. Confused Smile

Learned something new today! I installed yubioath-desktop, and so far on the setup screen it looks like it's drawing itself correctly on the mobile screen, lots of empty space though.  It properly detected my Yubikey 5ci as well:

Now to figure out how to use this.. Smile
Nice! Looks promising. You made the blocks black right to masquerade? Or are these some artifacts in the app?
Just read a thread on this forum about delamminating screens.....I'm in doubt. But good the sofware part seems to be doable for me.
(05-02-2021, 07:23 AM)p121458 Wrote: Nice! Looks promising. You made the blocks black right to masquerade? Or are these some artifacts in the app?
Just read a thread on this forum about delamminating screens.....I'm in doubt. But good the sofware part seems to be doable for me.

I did not retouch the image in any way, the screenshot is exactly how it looked on my screen, so yes, it's not perfectly fitting the Pinephone/mobile form factor...  But it fit way better than I expected, probably owing to the app using QML and modern QT libs.
(05-02-2021, 11:53 PM)pajux Wrote:
(05-02-2021, 07:23 AM)p121458 Wrote: Nice! Looks promising. You made the blocks black right to masquerade? Or are these some artifacts in the app?

I did not retouch the image in any way, the screenshot is exactly how it looked on my screen, so yes, it's not perfectly fitting the Pinephone/mobile form factor...  But it fit way better than I expected, probably owing to the app using QML and modern QT libs.

I tried installing the yubioath-desktop package on my Mobian Pinephone, and I do not have the black blocks in your screenshot.

I am attaching unmodified screenshots, one before I plugged my Yubikey into the hub, one right after, then two showing the options for adding an account (scan v. manual).

If you are planning on running Mobian, note that hub ("dock") supplied with the convergence version of the phone (the $200/3GB RAM/32GB EMMC version) will not supply more than 0.5Amps to the phone.  (See this thread.)  If this bothered me enough, I would try the Manjaro-KDE OS on a MicroSD.

Also, my screen is fine, though I have only had the phone two months.  There are some bugs and glitches, but I am amazed by the Pinephone.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Quote:I tried installing the yubioath-desktop package on my Mobian Pinephone, and I do not have the black blocks in your screenshot.

Might be because I'm on Mobian-unstable

Quote:If you are planning on running Mobian, note that hub ("dock") supplied with the convergence version of the phone (the $200/3GB RAM/32GB EMMC version) will not supply more than 0.5Amps to the phone. (See this thread.) If this bothered me enough, I would try the Manjaro-KDE OS on a MicroSD.

Not true anymore, at least with Linux 5.11 and mobian-unstable, I tested yesterday and got full 1.5A charging while connected to my Nexdock 2.

Enjoy using your new Pinephone Smile

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  reset wifi hardware/driver when it dies through console on pp? tuxcall 4 1,776 07-18-2023, 08:54 AM
Last Post: junelung
  Hardware VIdeo Acceleration on Mobian biketool 3 2,449 06-21-2022, 01:01 PM
Last Post: biketool
  Chatty, SMS does not work - could hardware be at fault? AntonReiser 36 24,125 11-02-2021, 03:42 AM
Last Post: AntonReiser
  Is there a list of software/Hardware errors Franze_m 6 4,986 02-24-2021, 12:07 PM
Last Post: tophneal
  Is the A64’s true hardware random generator activated in Mobian’s 5.10 kernel build? LibrePhoneUser 3 3,917 01-17-2021, 12:44 PM
Last Post: LibrePhoneUser