USB-PD charger
I've been using a dumb 2A charger and it has worked OK to charge the battery and keep it charged while using the phone. I have not used the dock much though so can't really say how it does with that during prolonged use. A PD charger would be nice for faster charging if the phone can make use of it but it would be good to know of specific models that work well.
(04-26-2021, 01:29 PM)Zebulon Walton Wrote: I use a generic 5V 2A charger from ebay on my pinephone and it works fine, just takes a bit longer to charge up than a 3A charger would.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/231990531054

I've only had my PinePhone 2 days and have been using a Samsung J5 charger, which is only rated @ 5V 1A... other than charging much slower, could charging at such a low amperage pose a risk to the phone or battery?  I have a power strip with a built-in USB socket rated @ 5V 2.1A 10.5W - but it's a cheap make and I don't know if I should trust it - however, would this be better than the low power J5 charger until I can get a better one?

I ran some tests today, but don't really know if the results are a good or bad sign ...would be very gratefull if any of you guys with more experience could look over my findings and comment accordingly ...cheers all.

# PBE Battery Test 21-06-03 Day 2
#
# PBE               = Pinephone Beta Edition 1.2
# PBE OS         = plasma-mobile
#                           Kernel:5.12.3-1-MANJARO-ARM
# PBE Charger = Samsung J5 Model ETA0U83UWE
#                           5.0VDC @ 1.0A
#
# PBE Battery = ID-1: axp20x-battery
#                         @ 87% full charge @ 23:50
#                         @ 85% charger off @ 23:55
#
# PBE Enabled  = WiFi/BT/mic/Rcam/Fcam
# PBE Disabled = LTE-modem/Headphone
#
# PBE on and charging for 6 hours
# Bat @ 85% when turn off @ 00:00
# PBE off and not charging for 12 hours
#
# PBE on and used @ 10 minute intervals
# Bat @ 85% when turn on @ 12:00
# Bat @ 83% while on idle @ 12:10
# Bat @ 83% while on idle @ 12:20
# Bat @ 81% while on wifi @ 12:30
# Bat @ 80% while on idle @ 12:40
# Bat @ 79% while on idle @ 12:50
# Bat @ 78% while on idle @ 13:00
# PBE @ 7% bat used for 50 minutes idle
#              with 10 minutes used on wifi only
#
# PBE left untouched on idle for 1 hour
# Bat @ 76% while on idle @ 14:00
# PBE @ 2% bat used for 1 hour idle
#              and no user interaction
#
# PBE on and used continuously for 1 hour
# Bat @ 71% while on wifi @ 14:10
# Bat @ 69% while on wifi @ 14:20
# Bat @ 70% while on wifi @ 14:30
# Bat @ 65% while on wifi @ 14:40
# Bat @ 62% while in term @ 14:50
# Bat @ 59% while in ssh  @ 15:00
# PBE @ 12% bat used for 1 hour user
#              interaction and no idle time
#
## - TEST END - ##
(06-03-2021, 02:42 PM)Dog House Dave Wrote: I've only had my PinePhone 2 days and have been using a Samsung J5 charger, which is only rated @ 5V 1A... other than charging much slower, could charging at such a low amperage pose a risk to the phone or battery?  I have a power strip with a built-in USB socket rated @ 5V 2.1A 10.5W - but it's a cheap make and I don't know if I should trust it - however, would this be better than the low power J5 charger until I can get a better one?

In general, charging a lithium-ion battery slower is better that charging it faster, when it comes to the longevity of the battery.  When it comes to USB chargers, I'd always prefer a well-known brand.  It's hard to know what's inside a USB charger, but it's safe to assume that well-known brands take care of what they produce.
(06-04-2021, 04:01 AM)dsimic Wrote:
(06-03-2021, 02:42 PM)Dog House Dave Wrote: I've only had my PinePhone 2 days and have been using a Samsung J5 charger, which is only rated @ 5V 1A... other than charging much slower, could charging at such a low amperage pose a risk to the phone or battery?  I have a power strip with a built-in USB socket rated @ 5V 2.1A 10.5W - but it's a cheap make and I don't know if I should trust it - however, would this be better than the low power J5 charger until I can get a better one?

In general, charging a lithium-ion battery slower is better that charging it faster, when it comes to the longevity of the battery.  When it comes to USB chargers, I'd always prefer a well-known brand.  It's hard to know what's inside a USB charger, but it's safe to assume that well-known brands take care of what they produce.

Yeah, that's what I was thinking ...I'll stick with charging my Pinephone with the J5 charger ...and charge my J5 phone with the cheep power strip socket - subversive or what? :-)
Power supplies for the Raspberry Pi 4b are 5.1V / 3.0A and seem to work ok so far.
It seems making phones without battery chargers makes more mess then if you get one that fits. The problem is, as far as I can see - is that different chargers are better or worse with different sources. It is tedious overall with all this nonsense.
I found that a Huawei charger was the best charger for my new Shift 6mq nonsense phone with so many issues. And that charger burned off some time ago. Maybe because I was using it all the time to charge it as the battery is to small to last long and there is no battery cradle for charging batteries outside the phone.

In any case, one really does not need fast charging IF we just have the ability to charge batteries outside the mobile, and even better with bigger mAh batteries helps as well on things.

- Darkijah
(04-26-2021, 11:36 AM)christophe14 Wrote: Hi,

I have searched before posting but have not found any answer for this question.

The PinePhone should be charged using a 15W (5V 3A) USB -PD power adapter. Charging at a higher voltage may result in damage to the device.

I can't find USB-PD 15W (5V-3A) charger to buy (Amazon/eBay, ...), so can a USB-PD 18W charger (5V 3A - 9V 2A - 12V 1.5 A) be used for charging a Pinephone ?

Will the power supply negotiation damage the Pinephone ?

Thanks !

https://www.ebay.com/itm/254949105151

a three pack of QC3.0  5volt 3amp QC3.0  3 port usb hub wall charger with LED volt and amp display.  $11.87USD incl tax  free shipping.

I bought this back in July, so far they work very well for my Pine phones.
      LINUX = CHOICES
         **BCnAZ**
               Idea
   Donate to $upport
your favorite OS Team
Just received my new Anker phone charger.
"Power Port 2 Elite". about $14-15 USD on Ebay, delivered.
Anker direct sales.
A smart charger that is supposed to work with almost any phone.
Using the 'Power Supply' App on my Mobian installation, -- it is interesting to watch the charge cycle with this charger.
      LINUX = CHOICES
         **BCnAZ**
               Idea
   Donate to $upport
your favorite OS Team

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Battery Charger? JesusGod-Pope666.Info 9 6,286 12-01-2021, 09:00 AM
Last Post: JesusGod-Pope666.Info