Dead in less than 10 minutes...
Sad 
Hi,

I received my Pinecil, purchased March 31st, yesterday.

I powered it with an old laptop power supply (21v - I checked it).

I played with the menu for 5 minutes or so, then I tried my first soldering...The temperature barely reached 314C (and oscillated from 310 to 314 during that time)...it lasted 10 seconds or so (just the time to tin the tip and try it on my solder wire...and it died.

Since, not powering up, no USB registration if I plug it into a computer....I think it is dead. 

Any similar experience? Any hint? I opened a ticket early this morning, but no answer so far...
It is really frustrating to wait for 3 weeks...for less than 10 minutes of lifetime...
(04-23-2021, 01:39 PM)misterdid Wrote: Any similar experience? Any hint? I opened a ticket early this morning, but no answer so far...

Sorry to hear that! It could be that you were simply unlucky enough to get one that was faulty. I haven't heard many reports of DOA or only short usage before failure, other than mistreatment... but it does happen. Sad

Depending on the workload for support atm, it could be a few days before you get a reply.

If have you have any other power supplies between the 12 & 21v range with a suitable tip, give them a try... i.e. you might have a laptop power supply with the right connector? Or if you have a USB-C charger, give that a try... see if it's actually completely dead, or just wonky... and hopefully get a better idea as to what the problem is.
(04-23-2021, 06:24 PM)pfeerick Wrote:
(04-23-2021, 01:39 PM)misterdid Wrote: Any similar experience? Any hint? I opened a ticket early this morning, but no answer so far...

Sorry to hear that! It could be that you were simply unlucky enough to get one that was faulty. I haven't heard many reports of DOA or only short usage before failure, other than mistreatment... but it does happen. Sad

Depending on the workload for support atm, it could be a few days before you get a reply.

If have you have any other power supplies between the 12 & 21v range with a suitable tip, give them a try... i.e. you might have a laptop power supply with the right connector? Or if you have a USB-C charger, give that a try... see if it's actually completely dead, or just wonky... and hopefully get a better idea as to what the problem is.
Unfortunately, after the initial failure, I tried another 12V power supply I had around...no signs of life. Same with an USB-C Mac charger...
With the temperature behavior, I suspect an internal failure (and probably the RT7272B as in another post)
Since my initial post I had an answer from support requesting a picture of the power supply I used. Now wait and see...I'll update everyone here.
Sad 
(04-24-2021, 04:37 AM)misterdid Wrote:
(04-23-2021, 06:24 PM)pfeerick Wrote:

Unfortunately, after the initial failure, I tried another 12V power supply I had around...no signs of life. Same with an USB-C Mac charger...
With the temperature behavior, I suspect an internal failure (and probably the RT7272B as in another post)
Since my initial post I had an answer from support requesting a picture of the power supply I used. Now wait and see...I'll update everyone here.

Did you end up fixing it, I think mine is screwed as well...  I can get mine into DFU mode if I hold down "-" and plug it into a PC...  But it's hopeless...  Also bottom gets hot just plugged into 5v USB, I'm starting to wonder if it's a bad DC-DC coverter chip like this https://forum.pine64.org/showthread.php?tid=12809 ...

Really wish I had tried it as soon as it arrived, but I didn't expect it to fail after a single session.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Crippling noise from inside pinecil during a few minutes high power soldering. dreieck 2 673 01-31-2024, 12:34 AM
Last Post: suga7
  Brand new Pinecil worked for 30mins - now screen dead and glows red hot! clipclop 3 3,087 11-05-2022, 01:37 PM
Last Post: River
  !! Pinecil is dead after 3 times using it, don't buy this crap... bbeeast 2 2,943 11-05-2022, 01:29 PM
Last Post: River
  screen dead bsdnut 3 3,345 02-06-2022, 04:57 PM
Last Post: clipclop
  Dead short on the power input of the Pinecil m42uko 7 7,975 04-05-2021, 02:25 PM
Last Post: tllim
  Dead pinecil joelspangler 3 3,886 02-12-2021, 06:40 AM
Last Post: zer0sig