Possible high temperature
Hi all,

today i tested the rockPro64. After some time, 30 minutes more or less, I checked the system status and saw the temperature was between 80º and 85º C whit htop command (armbian). The rockPro64 didn't be stressed  and the use of cpu was very normal.

I read than 80ºC is a hight temperature for a rockPro64. Anyone have any experience like that? 80ºC is a normal temperature for the rockPro64? Is strongly recommended a fan or a healtsink? Is possible that htop is readding a wrong value? because this situation has no sense.
(04-14-2021, 07:18 PM)drenedo Wrote: Hi all,

today i tested the rockPro64. After some time, 30 minutes more or less, I checked the system status and saw the temperature was between 80º and 85º C whit htop command (armbian). The rockPro64 didn't be stressed  and the use of cpu was very normal.

I read than 80ºC is a hight temperature for a rockPro64. Anyone have any experience like that? 80ºC is a normal temperature for the rockPro64? Is strongly recommended a fan or a healtsink? Is possible that htop is readding a wrong value? because this situation has no sense.

It does make sense, your CPU will be thermally throttling itself.

You absolutely should have a heatsink on an RK3399 for most use cases. Depending on your heatsink, enclosure and ambient temps a fan is not essential.
  • ROCKPro64 v2.1 2GB, 16Gb eMMC for rootfs, SX8200Pro 512GB NVMe for /home, HDMI video & sound, Bluetooth keyboard & mouse. Arch (6.2 kernel, Openbox desktop) for general purpose daily PC.
  • PinePhone Pro Explorer Edition, daily driver, rk2aw & U-boot on SPI, Arch/SXMO & Arch/phosh on eMMC
  • PinePhone BraveHeart now v1.2b 3/32Gb, Tow-boot with Arch/SXMO on eMMC
(04-14-2021, 07:18 PM)drenedo Wrote: Hi all,

Hi
It is very strange indeed. I use a heatsink (no fan). Usually I reach this temperature under heavy stress test (CPU test or memtester, note that memtester does not use high CPU). Under normal use I am at 45-50C. Above 80ºC or 85ºC the CPU is throttling (reducing the frequency). I think that a heatsink is necessary for regular use to avoid overheat. It is not difficult to set, not very expensive and worth it. As to the fan, I use an external one only when I perform stress tests.
LMM.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  RockPro64 & Rock64 operating temperature range skiba88 0 2,091 09-20-2020, 02:44 PM
Last Post: skiba88
  Monitoring CPU temperature. Faradn 1 4,089 01-02-2020, 04:31 PM
Last Post: evilbunny