PinePhone BE & Pinebook Pro shipping update thread
(05-28-2021, 08:11 AM)dlarson Wrote: DHL Reports that my Pine Phone is in the US.
I am impressed by DHL.  Pine Phone just arrived in less than 24 hours of getting to the US.
I confirm the Pinephone just arrived.

Some differences I noticed compared to the Manjaro Community Edition:
・The box design is pretty bland.
・It became much easier to get the back cover off by hand, so no need to destroy the phone just to put an SD card in for example.

Edit:
A Plasma Mobile specific problem that still seems to remain unfixed is the problem with the Japanese input.
As soon as I switch to Japanese input, the on screen keyboard breaks permanently.
As in it won't come up at all, no way to change back to English, and so on.

Edit 2:
So using "journalctl -fe" I figured out the virtual keyboard in Plasma Mobile is called "maliit-keyboard", and was dying on all the English-only features in the system settings.
I turned them all off, but the keyboard was still not working.
So I manually executed "maliit-keyboard" through SSH, and got this:

Code:
wordengine.cpp plugin "/usr/lib/maliit/keyboard2/languages/en/libenplugin.so" loaded
inputmethod_p.h registerActiveLanguage(): activeLanguage is: "ja"
in inputMethod.cpp setActiveLanguage() activeLanguage is: "ja"
void MaliitKeyboard::Logic::WordEnginePrivate::loadPlugin(QString)  Loading plugin failed:  "Cannot load library /usr/lib/maliit/keyboard2/languages/ja/libjaplugin.so: (libanthy.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory)"
Segmentation fault (core dumped)

So it was looking for Anthy which isn't installed.
So I installed Anthy and rebooted, and now the virtual keyboard is working again!
母語は日本語ですが、英語も喋れます(ry
DHL delivered Pinephone yesterday, three days early!  Initial startup needed an hour to update.  After that running pretty smooth.  I am new to Linux so have a learning curve to go through.

Tmobile Micro sim worked after two reboots.

ONE HUGE WARNING:  BE VERY CAREFUL INSERTING MICRO SIM!!!  THE ADAPTOR DOES NOT HOLD THE SIM IN PLACE!!!  It must be slid into the slot carefully making sure the micro sim stays alligned properly or it may break the contact pins.  Removing the sim requires the same careful attention.

Not ready to use daily yet but hoping to get similar functionality to my Android as I learn.

Thanks to all who are making this possible!
My PBP is already in the US now and in NYC, my delivery city. Delivery estimate still says Friday the 4th though. DHL is always impressive as noted above.
My PBP has been shipped and is on hold in Leipzig, Germany for a "Clearance Event" (Destination is Germany):

"A DHL representative shall attempt to contact importer or shipper if any further information is required to complete the entry. Customer should contact DHL Customer Service if not reached by DHL."

Will this be handled between DHL and Pine64 or do I have to become active?
(05-31-2021, 12:24 PM)elof Wrote: My PBP has been shipped and is on hold in Leipzig, Germany for a "Clearance Event" (Destination is Germany):

"A DHL representative shall attempt to contact importer or shipper if any further information is required to complete the entry. Customer should contact DHL Customer Service if not reached by DHL."

Will this be handled between DHL and Pine64 or do I have to become active?

Okay, to answer myself, they contacted me for some import tax but things are moving on. Smile
Hey all, now that all units have gone out and the vast majority if not all reached the end-users, I'll be closing and unsticking this thread.
For questions on stock, estimated availability and shipping please use: https://forum.pine64.org/showthread.php?tid=14063
You can find me on IRC, Discord and Twitter

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Shipping Update and Stock Availability Thread Luke 87 88,276 03-05-2023, 12:35 PM
Last Post: maos
  PinePhone Keyboard update [April 24/04] Luke 73 106,589 08-12-2022, 11:46 AM
Last Post: kat22
  The PinePhone keyboard and cases are here! Luke 11 10,155 03-11-2022, 07:16 AM
Last Post: nontrivial
  PinePhone community poll results Luke 2 3,689 02-01-2022, 04:03 PM
Last Post: zer0sig
  PinePhone Pro Explorer Edition is now available Luke 1 3,186 01-12-2022, 11:52 AM
Last Post: zer0sig
  October update follow-up Luke 0 2,514 10-29-2021, 01:02 PM
Last Post: Luke
  PinePhone Mobian CE shipping update thread Luke 59 79,772 04-25-2021, 12:57 PM
  PinePhone BETA Edition pre-orders start March 24 Luke 2 6,003 04-23-2021, 09:25 PM
Last Post: ryo
  PinePhone KDE Community Edition shipping update thread. Luke 135 174,611 04-11-2021, 01:47 PM
Video February Community Update Video Synopsis Luke 0 2,886 02-19-2021, 08:23 PM