Product Idea: Pine Graphics Tablet
Lightbulb 
Graphics Tablet: https://duckduckgo.com/?q=graphics+table...&ia=images

It should be fairly easy to repurpose some of the parts from the Pine Tab to make the screen.  It would seem that the main challenge would be to create a PCB  and program the board to function as a "Wacom" type input device.  It also could be as simple as making the tablet mirror the display, and function as the input device as well.  The main missing component would be the pen device itself.  This seems like potentially the biggest challenge, though it may be very simple.
I really like using graphics tablets, but having one that was built openly might make sense to more artists in this age of NFTs.
The ability for a proprietary tablet to have un-patched vulnerabilities that could compromise your original work may become an increased concern in the future.  It might be good to get ahead of the issues proprietary hardware has before people are clamoring for it retroactively because they have lost artwork, or had it compromised in someway.
Big Grin
(03-31-2021, 08:00 AM)israel Wrote: Graphics Tablet: https://duckduckgo.com/?q=graphics+table...&ia=images

It should be fairly easy to repurpose some of the parts from the Pine Tab to make the screen.  It would seem that the main challenge would be to create a PCB  and program the board to function as a "Wacom" type input device.  It also could be as simple as making the tablet mirror the display, and function as the input device as well.  The main missing component would be the pen device itself.  This seems like potentially the biggest challenge, though it may be very simple.
I really like using graphics tablets, but having one that was built openly might make sense to more artists in this age of NFTs.
The ability for a proprietary tablet to have un-patched vulnerabilities that could compromise your original work may become an increased concern in the future.  It might be good to get ahead of the issues proprietary hardware has before people are clamoring for it retroactively because they have lost artwork, or had it compromised in someway.
Big Grin

Thanks on your suggestion. The display panel should be e-ink or LCD IPS panel?
Grant Abbitt on Youtube is the  expert on  graphic tablets.  He  reviews them.
You  should  do  a  search.

Here's a video  of a tablet  costing about  $500US  that  you  would  have to compete against.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NalIBovP7Mw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mUnblsyy8CU

The  biggest manufacturing expense would be  the  screen  ,  followed by  the  pen.
You would  need a Chinese  firm  to  help you  in  the   design.
(04-05-2021, 10:28 PM)tllim Wrote:
(03-31-2021, 08:00 AM)israel Wrote: Graphics Tablet: https://duckduckgo.com/?q=graphics+table...&ia=images

Big Grin

Thanks on your suggestion. The display panel should be e-ink or LCD IPS panel?

Depends Wink

For a real stand alone drawing tablet it would obviously need a fast LCD IPS panel. e-ink doesn't refresh sufficiently fast for drawing directly on the screen.

However I personally would prefer a e-ink tablet that can be used as a reader device and for note taking. But such a device could also work as a graphics tablet if it would allow being connected to another computer and work as an input device.

What I imagine is that you can start an app that displays on the e-ink screen a drawing input field and various virtual buttons that can be mapped to a drawing app like Krita or GIMP on the connected PC. Maybe you could even display some simple outlines to help with the drawing, but IMHO not really needed.
>Depends Wink
.>
>For a real stand alone drawing tablet it would obviously need a fast LCD IPS panel. e-ink doesn't refresh >sufficiently fast for drawing directly on the screen.

I have  used  a paint  program  on  ordinary  android  tablets  with  my  finger,  and the  results  were  good.
So  speed  and  high   resolution  is  not needed.
(04-08-2021, 12:38 PM)don570don570don570 Wrote: >Depends Wink
.>
>For a real stand alone drawing tablet it would obviously need a fast LCD IPS panel. e-ink doesn't refresh >sufficiently fast for drawing directly on the screen.

I have  used  a paint  program  on  ordinary  android  tablets  with  my  finger,  and the  results  were  good.
So  speed  and  high   resolution  is  not needed.

An "ordinary android tablet" already has a very high speed display compared to an e-ink one...

But besides that, you realize that artists interested in buying a graphics tablet might have slightly higher requirements than "I tried it once with my finger and it looked good to me"? :p
https://github.com/H-M-H/Weylus

This is basically a software solution to what I had in mind above. But I think if the Wacom digitizer could be directly exposed via a usb client port, that would really cut down on latency and the screen mirroring isn't really needed.
Wow, I like both ideas! I do think most artists want a high resolution color screen, but e-ink as an option would be really cool too!
@poVoq That code is amazing! That looks really great, the only issue is the delay you can see in the picture.
I am wondering if you can make the tablet plug in and then appear to be a writing tablet. There might be some way to do this with udev rules or something like that.
It would be nice if you could both mount it using gvfs (store art on the actual tablet, and connect to any computer), and have some udev rule to make it act as a tablet input.
Does that sound reasonable or, would some sort of entirely different kernel module need to be made?
I'd say the E-Ink PineNote solves this, as well as some future where the PineTab can be purchased again
(04-06-2021, 01:35 PM)don570don570don570 Wrote: Grant Abbitt on Youtube is the  expert on  graphic tablets.  He  reviews them.
You  should  do  a  search.

Here's a video  of a tablet  costing about  $500US  that  you  would  have to compete against.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NalIBovP7Mwio games
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mUnblsyy8CU

The  biggest manufacturing expense would be  the  screen  ,  followed by  the  pen.
You would  need a Chinese  firm  to  help you  in  the   design.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  pine vacuum cleaner and door phone norayr 3 403 01-16-2024, 02:31 AM
Last Post: hanajijang
  Android OS that supports LCD touch panel (pine a64) Spekboy 0 260 01-14-2024, 01:41 PM
Last Post: Spekboy
  New Phone, Laptop and Tablet based on RK3588 Zotax 6 4,124 09-28-2023, 12:43 AM
Last Post: faultyforelimb
  A post about a Pine-64 Wi-Fi ethernet router project board and enclosure? Omnios 1 551 09-21-2023, 07:52 AM
Last Post: tophneal
  Is it possible to use Pine-64 board as a Mini PC such as BeeLink? Omnios 1 736 08-30-2023, 04:23 PM
Last Post: Kevin Kofler
  Pine Desktop PowerSupply wont power on BSharp 5 1,635 08-29-2023, 08:06 AM
Last Post: chickenplusone
  Possible new Pine64 product - Pine Blue Ray DVD Linux tv box Omnios 5 1,394 07-24-2023, 03:21 PM
Last Post: Omnios
  Pine.org very poor review rma00 6 1,572 06-30-2023, 12:52 PM
Last Post: gregb49
  Cryptocurrency payment option and Pine hardware wallet, any thoughts? ohuw67 11 9,761 03-03-2023, 01:18 AM
Last Post: user641
  What about a Pine digital audio player? ClairelyClaire 4 2,314 02-06-2023, 11:17 PM
Last Post: nixcamic