Manjaro Phosh beta6 is working well
I'm finding that beta6 is working well. Really, it's pretty amazing to me. I have Firefox, Thunderbird, connection to my Nextcloud server for Contacts, syncing files over Nextcloud, music, podcasts. Just about all the apps I use on my Manjaro laptop are working on my phone. Pretty amazing.

Google Fi is working for voice, text and data.

The convergence docking bar is working for ethernet, USB, HDMI.

I'm very impressed. I've wanted an alternative to the big private phone hardware companies for a long time. I've played with several alternatives on my old Nexus 4 phone. This PinePhone is very cool. It's really giving me everything I've wanted.

I look forward to a growing community of options for Linux phones, tablets and other hardware.

Congratulations!!! Big Grin
They're still a few quarks and bugs but its getting there. It's right behind #1 Mobian and #2 Arch for reliability but still lacks app compatibility. It appears to be a wayland issue. It seems Mobian and Arch will fallback on X11 if an app won't start in wayland while there is no fallback in Manjaro. Not a lot of Arm64 app comparability that are pure wayland quite yet.
(03-02-2021, 01:53 PM)C0ffeeFreak Wrote: They're still a few quarks and bugs but its getting there. It's right behind #1 Mobian and #2 Arch for reliability but still lacks app compatibility.  It appears to be a wayland issue. It seems Mobian and Arch will fallback on X11 if an app won't start in wayland while there is no fallback in Manjaro. Not a lot of Arm64 app comparability that are pure wayland quite yet.

usually there should be a config or environment flag that allows xwayland applications to launch. Just briefly checked that xwayland is installed, but need to investigate the configuration setting

(03-02-2021, 01:16 PM)lsitongia Wrote: I'm finding that beta6 is working well. Really, it's pretty amazing to me. I have Firefox, Thunderbird, connection to my Nextcloud server for Contacts, syncing files over Nextcloud, music, podcasts. Just about all the apps I use on my Manjaro laptop are working on my phone. Pretty amazing.

Google Fi is working for voice, text and data.

The convergence docking bar is working for ethernet, USB, HDMI.

I'm very impressed. I've wanted an alternative to the big private phone hardware companies for a long time. I've played with several alternatives on my old Nexus 4 phone. This PinePhone is very cool. It's really giving me everything I've wanted.

I look forward to a growing community of options for Linux phones, tablets and other hardware.

Congratulations!!! Big Grin

Just out of curiosity: how do you use Thunderbird on the small display of the device? Or is it only used via the USB-C dock on an external display? I'm still investigating choices for email, calendar on Pinephone, cause I found the build-in Phosh apps to be a bit lacking of functionality and UI/UX tbh.
(03-03-2021, 03:40 AM)appelgriebsc Wrote: Just out of curiosity: how do you use Thunderbird on the small display of the device? Or is it only used via the USB-C dock on an external display? I'm still investigating choices for email, calendar on Pinephone, cause I found the build-in Phosh apps to be a bit lacking of functionality and UI/UX tbh.
I switch to the 100% scale for Thunderbird and Firefox. Firefox also doesn't work well for 200% scale. Phosh uses Gnome, so I've tried Gnome Web, which is sized well for the screen.

(03-03-2021, 11:14 AM)lsitongia Wrote:
(03-03-2021, 03:40 AM)appelgriebsc Wrote: Just out of curiosity: how do you use Thunderbird on the small display of the device? Or is it only used via the USB-C dock on an external display? I'm still investigating choices for email, calendar on Pinephone, cause I found the build-in Phosh apps to be a bit lacking of functionality and UI/UX tbh.
I switch to the 100% scale for Thunderbird and Firefox. Firefox also doesn't work well for 200% scale. Phosh uses Gnome, so I've tried Gnome Web, which is sized well for the screen.
I just tried the scale-to-fit setting from
https://forum.manjaro.org/t/after-2-22-2...ting/54899
Looks like the default was false. With it set to true, Firefox automatically scales nicely, but Thunderbird is still too large, with part of it lost off the right side of the screen.
Beta 6: so far so good! Installed yesterday and this morning I received the first OTA update.
The call quality is good for the caller and the receiver. Tomorrow I will try the BT with different devices. If I make a comparison with the latest Plasma version available, I must admit that there is no comparison: now the phone is usable at least in its main functions.
Pinephone CE
not sure if the latest update with "sudo pacman -Syu" turns beta5 into beta6, but it works nice! Firefox, freetube, telegram, matrix are functional. There are some troubles with using cyrillic locales in some applications, but i think i can bear with it. As soon as i find out how to run a couple of android apps i need for my job and test calling/sms i will try to replace my android smartphone with pinephone
beta6 is working surprisingly well! SMS, calls, internet with modem/APN all work with about 1,5% battery drain pr. hour on 2G standby. I realy like where this is going.
The battery drains too quickly: from 85% to 45% in two hours with only LTE enabled. So far overall the phone is good for tests but unusable for a daily use.
Pinephone CE
Does Beta 6 (meaning phosh frontend) work on the Braveheart version of pinephone? Same question actually for Beta 2, plasmamobile, on Braveheart.

Anybody here on Braveheart who's tried either of those?

Update: I can answer part of my own question: Manjaro Plasmamobile beta 2 is working well. Calls work, connected to house wifi. Woot. Big Grin
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
OS: Mobian Bookworm, Phosh. Pinephone Braveheart from 2020-02-11

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Manjaro: Settings doesnt open nbh 0 498 09-24-2023, 05:25 PM
Last Post: nbh
  Can't get ring on Manjaro Pine Phone thorensjubilee 12 3,066 06-09-2023, 04:40 AM
Last Post: thorensjubilee
  Is Manjaro ARM a Rolling Release? jojuma 4 1,422 05-10-2023, 09:27 PM
Last Post: Kevin Kofler
  Where Does Manjaro Phosh Store Its Custom Keystrokes? jakfish 0 717 04-25-2023, 09:49 AM
Last Post: jakfish
Exclamation My short experience with Manjaro Plasma Mobile anonymous 10 4,355 03-02-2023, 07:25 PM
  Backup and Home Screen Tinkering on Phosh jakfish 0 809 02-24-2023, 12:56 PM
Last Post: jakfish
  Can't install Manjaro thorensjubilee 1 957 02-09-2023, 08:17 AM
Last Post: thorensjubilee
  Manjaro plasma-mobile Beta 13 Uturn 13 4,559 01-25-2023, 04:15 PM
  Manjaro Plasma busted Chief 2 1,479 11-22-2022, 05:00 PM
Last Post: Chief
  MMS workaround for users with separate APN (works atleast on Manjaro Phosh) alaraajavamma 0 1,010 10-10-2022, 12:53 PM
Last Post: alaraajavamma