eink display, digitizer?
Question 
Regarding the rumblings about the 10" eink display, is the proposal currently to have a touch digitizer too?

I've got a boox note 3 and the great thing about it is that it runs a full android distribution. It feels strange using a computer with normal responsiveness but with an eink display., but it works.

So I suppose that's what made me wonder whether the plan is to have a digitizer for the display available? So that people could make their own "enhanced" ebook readers?

What do people think?

Ashley
I agree that would be interesting, especially if it was done with a repurposed 10" PineTab casing.

However the really vital question is the refresh rate of the e-ink screen. The cheaper ones usually have problems with that.
(02-22-2021, 08:20 AM)poVoq Wrote: I agree that would be interesting, especially if it was done with a repurposed 10" PineTab casing.

However the really vital question is the refresh rate of the e-ink screen. The cheaper ones usually have problems with that.

I imagine the Boox must have a good screen, but it also has good software. 

For example it will detect scrolling and then allow ghosting during that, and only refresh when you stop.

It also has different redraw modes you can select, like for watching videos (yes videos!) you can set it to max performance or whatever which never refreshes the whole screen. You get a lot of ghosting but it isn't as bad as you'd imagine.
https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=26245563

Some related discussion to show that there is some interest in a PineTab like device with a e-ink screen.
Hmm...

I like Amazon Kindle because of its hardware design, screen quality, and performance, but I don't like the fact its too DRM- and Amazon-centric, and running my apps of choice on it is pretty much impossible.

I like Barnes & Noble Nook (not the Color one) because it runs usual Android and I can sideload most other apps I want to use - readers, file managers, clients for self-hosted cloud storage sync where I keep all my DRM-free books, note-taking apps, etc., but it is severely under-powered, with a mere 512MiB RAM and a weak-sauce CPU.

I like the Onyx Boox because they combine the best qualities of Amazon Kindle and Barnes & Noble Nook flagships... But I just have hard time trusting them. It's probably not entirely rational, since once you think about it the whole of PBP is manufactured in China, and even my beloved ThinkPads are made in China... though with PBP I can completely wipe all firmware and replace it with my own, and with ThinkPads while I'm still reliant on UEFI to boot and ACPI for power management at least I can run my own OS of choice, and with Onyx Boox I'm stuck with whatever vendor-modified Android version the Chinese (a.k.a. communist-controlled) manufacturer put on there. I know I may sound like a proponent of McCarthyism, but I was born in a communist country so I know that plague from the inside.

Anyway, paranoid conspiracy theories aside, I'd love to see an e-Ink device that runs fully open-source stack!
This message was created with 100% recycled electrons
(02-22-2021, 01:25 AM)ashleymills Wrote: Regarding the rumblings about the 10" eink display, is the proposal currently to have a touch digitizer too?

I've got a boox note 3 and the great thing about it is that it runs a full android distribution. It feels strange using a computer with normal responsiveness but with an eink display., but it works.

So I suppose that's what made me wonder whether the plan is to have a digitizer for the display available? So that people could make their own "enhanced" ebook readers?

What do people think?

Ashley

There is plan explore on Wacom W9021 digitizer.
(03-02-2021, 09:57 PM)tllim Wrote:
(02-22-2021, 01:25 AM)ashleymills Wrote: Regarding the rumblings about the 10" eink display, is the proposal currently to have a touch digitizer too?

What do people think?

Ashley

There is plan explore on Wacom W9021 digitizer.

sounds good
(02-24-2021, 03:57 AM)poVoq Wrote: https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=26245563

Some related discussion to show that there is some interest in a PineTab like device with a e-ink screen.
thank you for link me too search this is today  Heart Heart Heart