Adding GPS
Please add GPS to the PineTime!

For millions of runners, bikers and other athletes, there's no privacy respecting (open source) GPS-enabled fitness watch to handle the fitness data (e.g. gps tracks). PineTime could be the first.

To my knowledge, every major GPS-enabled fitness watch manufacturer (Garmin, Suunto, Polar etc.) requires a propriatary mobile app for data transfer (over bluetooth). They are also forcing users into their closed and hackable cloud services to store the sensitive fitness/location data. I store my fitness data locally. This is why I still use old USB devices, but these get harder and harder to use due to abandoned usb drivers. I'm also on Linux which is unsupported (Currently I'm using a Windows 7 virtual machine to transfer my data, not exaclty a practical or future proof solution).

Since runners don't want to carry a heavy smartphone, adding a GPS to the PineTime would bring a privacy respecting alternative.

I've read the hardware is unlikely to change, but I just wanted to mention the importance of this.
There are small, light GNSS/BLE units that can provide the GATT location and navigation service. The existing PineTime could store that along with other sensor data without needing extra hardware built in.
You could look at the Bangle.js project. It's based around the same SoC and nearly the same display controller but otherwise has a completely different set of peripherals (includes GPS, does not include a proper touch screen). The real problem with the Bangle.js is that it is physically very large... which I suspect is partly down the the inclusion of GPS.
PineTime: wasp-os and MicroPython, Pinebook Pro:  Debian Bullseye
Thumbs Up 
(02-16-2021, 04:19 PM)wibble Wrote: There are small, light GNSS/BLE units that can provide the GATT location and navigation service. The existing PineTime could store that along with other sensor data without needing extra hardware built in.

Yes, that would be a solution. I wouldn't mind having another light band around my other wrist. But, one more thing to bring and charge.
(02-17-2021, 04:43 AM)danielt Wrote: You could look at the Bangle.js project. It's based around the same SoC and nearly the same display controller but otherwise has a completely different set of peripherals (includes GPS, does not include a proper touch screen). The real problem with the Bangle.js is that it is physically very large... which I suspect is partly down the the inclusion of GPS.

Interesting! It's a bit limited, but overall this thing might tick all the boxes for me, and it's actually smaller than my current devices. Thanks
(02-16-2021, 12:11 PM)kessel Wrote: Please add GPS to the PineTime!

For millions of runners, bikers and other athletes, there's no privacy respecting (open source) GPS-enabled fitness watch to handle the fitness data (e.g. gps tracks). PineTime could be the first.

To my knowledge, every major GPS-enabled fitness watch manufacturer (Garmin, Suunto, Polar etc.) requires a propriatary mobile app for data transfer (over bluetooth). They are also forcing users into their closed and hackable cloud services to store the sensitive fitness/location data. I store my fitness data locally. This is why I still use old USB devices, but these get harder and harder to use due to abandoned usb drivers. I'm also on Linux which is unsupported (Currently I'm using a Windows 7 virtual machine to transfer my data, not exaclty a practical or future proof solution).

Since runners don't want to carry a heavy smartphone, adding a GPS to the PineTime would bring a privacy respecting alternative.

I've read the hardware is unlikely to change, but I just wanted to mention the importance of this.
I largely agree, but the Amazfit Bip is supported by Gadgetbridge and has GPS. The default app, Mi Fit, probably sends information back to Huamei and Xiaomi, but it can be replaced. It is also not open source in any way, but it can be used with open source software.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Adding Gyrometer KotKot77 4 5,297 02-16-2021, 05:59 AM
Last Post: Avamander