Replacement Loud Speaker
Hey just looking to see if anyone found a good location to find a replacement loud speaker?

I got my pinephone a week or so ago and the speaker was making some static noise but did not think much of it until it completely stopped working yesterday.

I am fairly certain its hardware as the headphone jack outputs sound, the earpiece outputs sound Bluetooth outputs sound but internal speaker no sound (tested on multiple OS's).

I opened a ticket with pine64 but according to the wiki it is not a part they have replacements for and I have to track one down from an old Nokia or Lenovo. I found some on Ali Express but they are two months away is there anywhere in the US that will carry the speaker as I don't want to switch back to my android phone as my daily driver for a silly speaker problem but I need to be able to hear my phone while I wait for parts.

Any advice is greatly appreciated, thanks folks!
Probably can get them to replace the whole phone since it's under warranty.

I once had a Nexus 7 tablet and had to go through 3 before I got one that didn't develop rear speaker problems. I had a piano app for my young son and it seems like certain frequencies "broke" the speaker almost immediately. Needless to say, I never ran the app after that. Evidently it was a design flaw that caused the speaker to become loose.

On a related note, it's supported somewhat by PostmarketOS so I might dig it out and give it new life.
(02-15-2021, 01:13 PM)zborgerd Wrote: Probably can get them to replace the whole phone since it's under warranty.

I once had a Nexus 7 tablet and had to go through 3 before I got one that didn't develop rear speaker problems. I had a piano app for my young son and it seems like certain frequencies "broke" the speaker almost immediately. Needless to say, I never ran the app after that. Evidently it was a design flaw that caused the speaker to become loose.

On a related note, it's supported somewhat by PostmarketOS so I might dig it out and give it new life.

That would be ideal to just replace.

Do you mean reach out to postmarketOS for replacement parts or warranty stuff?
(02-15-2021, 06:45 PM)kmsgli Wrote:
(02-15-2021, 01:13 PM)zborgerd Wrote: Probably can get them to replace the whole phone since it's under warranty.

That would be ideal to just replace.

Do you mean reach out to postmarketOS for replacement parts or warranty stuff?

No. I just meant that it's an open source project to bring an old and unsupported tablet back to life. Completely unrelated to your issue though I used to have speaker problems with that model.
So someone correct me if I am wrong but if the speaker has resistance it means it is still good? With a multi meter across the metal springs i get 7.2 ohms and when i apply voltage to it the speaker it crackles. Does this indicate an issue with the board the speaker is attached to rather then the speaker itself?

Thanks again.
Resistance seems reasonable, and the crackle suggests it's probably working. The connection goes via the wider of the two ribbons to the amp chip on the main board I think, so the problem could be in the various cables and connections, or on the main board. I'd try reseating connectors as several people have found them not properly seated, but beyond that it'll take some delicate testing to track down.
(02-16-2021, 04:40 PM)wibble Wrote: Resistance seems reasonable, and the crackle suggests it's probably working. The connection goes via the wider of the two ribbons to the amp chip on the main board I think, so the problem could be in the various cables and connections, or on the main board. I'd try reseating connectors as several people have found them not properly seated, but beyond that it'll take some delicate testing to track down.
Seems like i should send it back for service at this point. I Opened a ticket a few days ago with no response they must be backed up.
(02-16-2021, 08:53 PM)kmsgli Wrote:
(02-16-2021, 04:40 PM)wibble Wrote: Resistance seems reasonable, and the crackle suggests it's probably working. The connection goes via the wider of the two ribbons to the amp chip on the main board I think, so the problem could be in the various cables and connections, or on the main board. I'd try reseating connectors as several people have found them not properly seated, but beyond that it'll take some delicate testing to track down.
Seems like i should send it back for service at this point. I Opened a ticket a few days ago with no response they must be backed up.

Might be related to Chinese New Year. I don't know how they handle their support but the recent blog post / podcast indicated that offices in several locations were on break.
(02-16-2021, 11:25 PM)zborgerd Wrote:
(02-16-2021, 08:53 PM)kmsgli Wrote:

Might be related to Chinese New Year. I don't know how they handle their support but the recent blog post / podcast indicated that offices in several locations were on break.
Ah that could be, well then i feel better that I have not been reached out to yet.

Thanks for all the help guys.
There is some info on the speaker in this thread: https://forum.pine64.org/showthread.php?tid=12046

This one may work in the pinephone: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32861312441.html

Cheers!

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Replacement screen disconnects after back frame is screwed on robthebold 4 1,308 10-12-2023, 01:03 PM
Last Post: robthebold
Bug DESIGN ISSUE? Speaker + vibration motor broke for the 2nd time e1337 11 4,332 01-26-2023, 10:11 PM
Last Post: AnAbolitionist
  Screen Replacement Instructions erikkugel 4 3,120 09-07-2022, 11:04 PM
Last Post: RTP
  Microphone replacement SocialNetworkingWasAMistake 1 1,530 08-05-2022, 03:16 PM
Last Post: calinb
  PWM whine near earpiece in low signal phone call and loud sound sent to the other end vortex 29 26,298 01-14-2022, 11:00 AM
Last Post: eugenr
  Screen replacement Csanderson0313 4 3,213 01-10-2022, 09:26 PM
Last Post: Csanderson0313
  LCD panel replacement instructions mob 2 2,219 09-13-2021, 05:11 PM
Last Post: mob
  Battery replacement alternative sax1960 7 6,277 08-29-2021, 07:03 AM
Last Post: bcnaz
  inner earpiece speaker replacement dcinoz 4 4,395 07-24-2021, 04:37 AM
Last Post: dcinoz
  Screen or motherboard replacement? Static Face 2 2,936 06-08-2021, 12:57 AM
Last Post: Static Face