New PineTalk episode is out
(02-16-2021, 02:54 PM)TRS-80 Wrote: I am very interested in de-centralized alternatives.  Why did LBRY have to go and ruin it by sprinkling in "magical Internet money."  Which is the main reason that, so far, I am more a fan of PeerTube...

Well, you can watch it on Tilvids, a nice and curated PeerTube instance, or if you don't want to waste bandwith, just go with the OPUS feed and subscribe to it in your favourite podcatcher (e.g. GPodder Adaptive or GNOME Podcasts on the PinePhone): https://www.pine64.org/feed/opus/

Making this episode was great fun. We tried to keep it around about 45 minutes, which is why we could not get to all of the feedback.

Also, everybody: Thanks for the kind words and make sure to send in your questions, suggestions (like if you see something cool, as we sadly can't follow every development) and ideas – because you are the community we're trying to follow and enrich with this podcast! Thanks!
Because most content creators want to make money. And LBRY ensures that they can. Since the LBRY content is block-chain based, it only makes sense to include block-chain based currency right into the protocol.

At least for now, it works. You get some free money to get started as a creator, or just as a viewer who can support creators. You can still be a viewer without paying for anything (as long as the content creator hasn't set a price on whatever you're trying to view).

It took a while to warm up to it, but I'm pretty dern happy with it. And I'm not making money (don't intend to).
(02-15-2021, 11:03 PM)KC9UDX Wrote: The LBRY "app" is buildable (open source I believe) for Linux.  I haven't done it at all.  I tried it on NetBSD and failed.  I expect it would work on the PinePhone, unless it requires x86.  But again, I don't really know.

Someone has already built the binaries for the backend bits but not the desktop frontend part. I gave it a go but got stuck at various rabbit-hole errors (eg this) before giving up.
I enjoyed the new podcast. Only comment I have is I think it's a mistake making any Plasma release the default OS on the future Pinephones until it gets a little more reliable. Plasma is just so buggy and unreliable I hate to see it turn people off of Linux phones. I understand it's more Android like in it's gestures, flow and function and it's nice to look at but it just isn't there yet.
"Content creators doing things for money" ( -> AdTech) was one of main things that ruined the current Internet, leading to a downward spiral of churning out endless low-quality click-bait content.  If all monetization schemes went away tomorrow, nothing of value would be lost.

Let's go back to the early days of the Internet, where you had to produce something of actual value to garner a community to come out of pocket to pay for the server hosting.  Or pay for it yourself, because it's just something you want to publish, and you care enough about the topic to do so.

(02-16-2021, 04:18 PM)linmob Wrote: Well, you can watch it on Tilvids, a nice and curated PeerTube instance, or if you don't want to waste bandwith, just go with the OPUS feed and subscribe to it in your favourite podcatcher (e.g. GPodder Adaptive or GNOME Podcasts on the PinePhone): https://www.pine64.org/feed/opus/

Thanks a lot for that!  I had no idea it was also available on PeerTube (and as a podcast, too)!
Cheers,
TRS-80

What is Free Software and why is it so important for society?

Protocols, not Platforms

For the most Linux-y experience on your Linux phone, try SXMO!

I am (nominally) the Armbian Maintainer for PineBook Pro (although severely lacking in time these days).
(02-18-2021, 04:02 PM)TRS-80 Wrote: "Content creators doing things for money" ( -> AdTech) was one of main things that ruined the current Internet, leading to a downward spiral of churning out endless low-quality click-bait content.  If all monetization schemes went away tomorrow, nothing of value would be lost.

Let's go back to the early days of the Internet, where you had to produce something of actual value to garner a community to come out of pocket to pay for the server hosting.  Or pay for it yourself, because it's just something you want to publish, and you care enough about the topic to do so.

With respect, that is very ironic.  What you wish for is what LBRY is.

On LBRY, you pay to post a video (or other content).  You pay to promote it, yourself.  There is no mechanism for adding advertisements.  If you want ads in your video, you put them in your video when you encode it, before you post it.  This is the same on any platform, even YouTube.  There's nothing stopping anyone from inserting advertisements into their own videos. You don't get paid per click or per view, at least not that I can tell.  You get paid directly by people who wish to support you and your content.  If you create worthless click-bait, no one is going to do that.  You can require payment to purchase your video.  So you could do the click-bait thing.  But no one will fall for that twice.  If they do, shame on them.  The upshot of this potential, is that people are going to be very leery of paying in advance for anything.  So you better either have a good reputation beforehand, or have a really stellar click-bait title and thumbnail, the kind that most of us don't fall for anyway.

One of the most difficult things to understand about LBRY after using other services, is that LBRY isn't a viewing site like YouTube.  It's a protocol, like HTTP or FTP, et cetera.  And it's decentralised.  LBRY Inc cannot control your content.  They can only restrict it from being seen on lbry.tv and odysee.com  If you don't like the lbry.tv or odysee.com viewing sites, you could write your own viewer.
(02-14-2021, 03:10 AM)Luke Wrote: Hey all,

Just a heads-up that the second episode of PineTalk is now out.

Have a listen
really successful  Blush Blush Blush