PinePhone SIM slot
(10-01-2021, 01:21 PM)lsitongia Wrote: I fixed it with soldering and saved them the money  … This problem is often reported and it quite a design flaw. They are shipping out new phones. Have they done anything about this problem? Has Pine64 said anything official about this?

I think the current phones do have this problem.  I just got one a few days ago and even using the nano->micro converter they provided, the nano SIM fell out and got stuck in the way folks have been describing in this thread and did indeed bend my pins!

I opened a ticket; I don't have particularly good soldering skills and I hope they replace it.

I also updated the wiki so hopefully others won't bend their pins even with the adapter!
Wink 
I had the same problem with the Sim falling out of the adapter... Came up with the solution of partially inserting the adapter into the slot so the Sim cutout was totally exposed. Then inserting the Sim into the cutout, aligning it with the adapter and GENTLY sliding it into the slot.  Still was a little forced, but works fine.
I've read that the PinePhone Pro has the same SIM and SD sockets. That's a big bummer. This was their chance to put in a nano SIM socket. Are there a lot of customers who use micro SIM sized cards? I'm not sure I could find a US service that provides them. I am not going to deal with the hassle of SIM card adapters.
I've had the same issue. Fortunately, I didn't damage the contacts.
I just got a Pinephone Pro last night. I unboxed it and stuck the adapter in the socket only to see it damage the SIM socket pins when I removed it.

I have the Pinephone too and never had an issue with it. The socket does look different and may possibly be a worse design. The adapter that came with it has a very deep indentation so without a SIM card in the adapter it appears to be near impossible to for this to not happen.

The Pro seems like a useable phone and I really wanted to switch over from my Pixel 4a LineageOS. My original 2GB Pinephone is not viable for daily use.

Now the question is do I:
a) butcher the original Pinephone to reuse the SIM socket in the Pro
b) see if I can order a new socket
c) order a new Pro and use the damaged one for development or donate
d) other ideas?

Original Pine on left Pine Pro on right.

[Image: pinephone-pro-damaged-sim.jpg]

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  PinePhone - boot from microSD laserpyramid 5 299 03-06-2024, 06:37 PM
Last Post: aular
  Are you using the Pinephone as your daily driver? jro 157 105,080 02-18-2024, 11:33 PM
Last Post: aular
  2020 PinePhone Manjaro CE EU for sale, name your price astrojuanlu 7 1,523 02-14-2024, 04:51 PM
Last Post: astrojuanlu
  pinephone is not bootble for the box. ijij 1 459 01-19-2024, 01:29 PM
Last Post: fxc
  Multiple issues with the Pinephone MTXP 12 1,937 12-28-2023, 07:55 AM
Last Post: MTXP
  pinephone repair shop shengchieh 0 381 12-26-2023, 02:42 PM
Last Post: shengchieh
  sudo nano file saving pinephone beta edition CharlesGnarley 4 1,479 12-22-2023, 03:44 PM
Last Post: Kevin Kofler
  Can't get Mobian on PinePhone to recognise USB-C docking bar duncan_bayne 9 6,600 12-04-2023, 02:14 AM
Last Post: Peter Gamma
  Pinephone not booting, always vibrating alexander12 7 4,666 11-22-2023, 06:46 PM
Last Post: Scary Guy
  Pinephone on Verizon chachi 3 991 10-09-2023, 11:26 AM
Last Post: alaraajavamma