Problem making SD card
For all of you having problems with creating an image:

For Win32diskimager images, I have found a version of the program, modified by Odroid which writes and verifies at the same time. Takes more time to complete the process but this way you can rest assured that the image was copied right onto your sd card.

http://com.odroid.com/sigong/blog/blog_list.php?bid=144
(06-14-2016, 01:09 AM)Ghost Wrote:
(06-12-2016, 07:24 AM)NexusDude Wrote: Why not shrink each image down, slightly, so that they'll fit on a wide range of cards? There are bound to be variations in storage sizes, but why not go with the smaller standard (1000 MB = 1 GB, rather than 1024 MB = 1 GB)?

I've tried 32GB images of Android, RemixOS, and OpenHab, and none will fit on the 32GB SanDisk Ultra microSD cards I have. I'm using 16GB images, as a result. Are issues with Google Play due to that, I wonder?

Since I can't find a way to convert IMG to ZIP, I have no way to trim the fat myself. There's a web site that claims to be able to do it in the cloud, but none of my cloud accounts has 32GB of space.

I don't think zipping the image will help. You need an image file, not a zip file. Zip is just a form of file compression that allows you to shrink the file size down, for ease of storage and transfer. Most files need to be unzipped again before they can actually be used.
That's not what I'm talking about, Ghost.

Android ROMs that you might find via XDA-developers.com are normally stored in ZIP format. At least, that's what I'm used to. Utilities allow one to install a ROM in ZIP format to the device.

Since it's a ZIP file, you can extract it to disk, of course, where you can edit them. This is what I wanted to do. I wanted to trim the non-crucial, unwanted Android components. On my Nexus 7 tablet, I do this to make room on the system partition for a larger Google Apps file (usually trying to use OpenGapps nano, rather than pico). Here, I'd be doing it to get the 32GB image to fit on my "32GB" Sandisk card.

Another option -- one would think -- would be to install the IMG to my hard disk, perhaps on a separate partition, and then edit that, before installing that on the microSD card. But that's been problematic.

This will all become moot, hopefully, when TLim takes care of this for everyone, by trimming the images to fit on all common microSD cards... which is what I initially requested.
NexusDude of Central Texas
  • Setup: Pine64+ 2GB, On/Off button, RTC battery, 5V fan, LG 1.8A power adapter, Cat6 Ethernet, HDMI to TV, USB keyboard & mouse, SanDisk Ultra mSD "32GB" (28.7GB). Using Win32DiskImager.
  • Best OS experiences: Debian XFCE >> Android Lollipop > the rest
Ah, ok, sorry NexusDude, didn't realise. As you say, this should all be moot once TL produces some new images that fit (mostly) all microSD cards.
So wait a second, I am not supposed to unzip the file I can just burn the Phoenix version, or some other version direct to the disk from a zip file?  I've had the thing a month.  I would just like some version that would work at least to make the card.  I should have started the burning thing when I was waiting for the board.  I just never had any problem loading software before.

Possibly my problem is the card. That whole verify sight just looked like a further nightmare. What card should I buy that is reputable as far as this stuff goes?
(06-18-2016, 12:21 AM)Tam Dl Wrote: So wait a second, I am not supposed to unzip the file I can just burn the Phoenix version, or some other version direct to the disk from a zip file?  I've had the thing a month.  I would just like some version that would work at least to make the card.  I should have started the burning thing when I was waiting for the board.  I just never had any problem loading software before.

Possibly my problem is the card.  That whole verify sight just looked like a further nightmare.  What card should I buy that is reputable as far as this stuff goes?

Ah yes, this is the kind of confusion I wanted to avoid. You DO need to unzip the file to burn the PhoenixCard image or a DD image. As long as you use the right software to burn the right image, there should not be problems. 

The microSD card being widely recommended is the Samsung EVO or Samsung EVO+, so if you don't want to verify your card, try one of those. Try and buy it from a reputable source, too.

Remember: PhoenixCard images can only be burned with the PhoenixCard software. DD images can be burned via the dd command in a terminal, or using software such as Win32DiskImager or Rufus. 

If you have tried writing images many times to the microSD and think there may be residual files or partitions still in existence on the card causing problems, you might try SD card formatter before trying to burn again.
Hi,

I think this is the best post to tell what's going on with my microcard and the iso image I'm trying to burn.

micro sd card = SanDisk Extreme 32 GB SDHC Class 10 U3
iso image= android-ver5.1.1-lcd-version-20160603-pine64-32GB (file size 31.472.640 KB)

When I try to burn with Win32 Disk Imager I get this write error:

"Not enough space on disk: Size 62945280 sectors Available 60367872 sectors Sector size 512.

I'm stuck here........
Any help will be appreciated
Thanks in advance
(06-19-2016, 01:50 PM)willyfog Wrote: Hi,

I think this is the best post to tell what's going on with my microcard and the iso image I'm trying to burn.

micro sd card = SanDisk Extreme 32 GB SDHC Class 10 U3
iso image= android-ver5.1.1-lcd-version-20160603-pine64-32GB (file size 31.472.640 KB)

When I try to burn with Win32 Disk Imager I get this write error:

"Not enough space on disk: Size 62945280 sectors Available 60367872 sectors Sector size 512.

I'm stuck here........
Any help will be appreciated
Thanks in advance

Try the 16GB image for now:
http://files.pine64.org/os/android/andro...4-16GB.zip

Seems that different brands of microSD report storage sizes differently, and this variation means that what fits on one 32GB card may not fit on another.
(06-14-2016, 02:58 AM)Ghost Wrote: There are PhoenixCard images for both Android and RemixOS. You have to go specifically to the Software Release section of the wiki. There are more options available there.

Thanks for that Ghost... I was wondering where all those 16GB and 32GB images were coming from. Will be handy when I next decide to be adventurous and try another OS image. I'm quite happy with my Ubuntu and Debian builds so far... they are both behaving quite nicely... and I made sure I have backups just in case!

Hey, it would be nice if the link on the main wiki page was moved up a bit (next to the rest of the images, and made a bit more visible - I didn't see it at all until searching for it then, and certainly didn't expect to find it wedged between 'board features' and 'board dimensions'! :-D I'd do it myself but there doesn't appear to be any facility for community edits...

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question External storage problem for pine64 Dani6102 4 1,618 08-22-2023, 08:36 AM
Last Post: gulshan212
  PINE A64 SBC: Clone of a functional 32GB SD card doesn't boot burningkrome 3 1,505 05-19-2023, 07:43 AM
Last Post: crocspot
  Jack connector problem pinebug 0 1,485 11-10-2022, 01:46 PM
Last Post: pinebug
Exclamation Can't boot when SD card inserted kivox 5 7,916 03-15-2020, 06:00 AM
Last Post: kivox
  Need Sollution : Screen Problem and says the Error "Out of Range" on the display hunterzonecss 2 3,983 04-19-2019, 08:26 AM
Last Post: psychedup
Photo Daughter Card SBC for P64 blue 5 6,937 08-22-2017, 07:51 AM
Last Post: blue
  Pine64 $15 card killed my $120 keyboard exa 22 27,111 01-04-2017, 09:01 AM
Last Post: skenn_ie
  overlapping partitions issue with resize of 8GB image put on 16GB sd card dkryder 10 11,893 10-05-2016, 11:32 AM
Last Post: dkryder
  problem connecting to Pine 64 store stephen fleming 2 4,276 09-24-2016, 08:57 PM
Last Post: stephen fleming
  SD card recovery TeaPack 8 8,513 08-07-2016, 07:35 AM
Last Post: xalius