Problem making SD card
I have a 10 speed SD card 32gig.  I went to the Pine Wiki and tried to download the 32G version of remix.  That file appears to be larger than the usable space on a 32G card.  Should I therefor try the 16G version?  What is going on here, what good is a 32G memory card that is already filled with 32G of stuff?  Ofcourse I can download the file to my hard drive, though for some reason it isn't too thrilled with that process either.  Why is the image needed so big?  I thought android was an efficient OS?  If it is just mapping the card for 32 gigs worth, why is the file to do that so large?

I haven't installed software as an image file before, I guess I will google that to see what it means, but so far it seems like a far larger pain than the good old days of feeding in 12 floppies.  The file is slow to download, requires a 50 dollar program to uzip. is slow to unzip, and requires another program to burn the image.  Selling pre burned cards as raspberry did might have been ab additional income stream and saved a lot of time for the developers.

I am keeping in mind this is the Remix OS, not the Pine 64.  Have the hardware all ready to go, but the software is a pain.  And I haven't even run into the bugs phase yet.
(06-08-2016, 09:54 PM)Tam Dl Wrote: I have a 10 speed SD card 32gig.  I went to the Pine Wiki and tried to download the 32G version of remix.  That file appears to be larger than the usable space on a 32G card.  Should I therefor try the 16G version?  What is going on here, what good is a 32G memory card that is already filled with 32G of stuff?  Ofcourse I can download the file to my hard drive, though for some reason it isn't too thrilled with that process either.  Why is the image needed so big?  I thought android was an efficient OS?  If it is just mapping the card for 32 gigs worth, why is the file to do that so large?

I haven't installed software as an image file before, I guess I will google that to see what it means, but so far it seems like a far larger pain than the good old days of feeding in 12 floppies.  The file is slow to download, requires a 50 dollar program to uzip. is slow to unzip, and requires another program to burn the image.  Selling pre burned cards as raspberry did might have been ab additional income stream and saved a lot of time for the developers.

I am keeping in mind this is the Remix OS, not the Pine 64.  Have the hardware all ready to go, but the software is a pain.  And I haven't even run into the bugs phase yet.

The actual image that is burned is much smaller than 32GB, around 460MB to just over 1GB, depending on which image is burned. 

Also, you shouldn't need to spend any money on unzipping software. You can use the trial version of WinRAR for as long as you like, and there are many free unzipping alternatives out there. 

Pre-burned cards were indeed available as options via Backerkit.

As for the RemixOS images on the wiki, some clarification is needed. 

"Setup Info
  1. Use Winrar to extract the img file form the archive

2. Use Allwinner PhoenixCard Bootable SD-Card Creator to create the bootable SD Card"
This is what it says at the bottom of the RemixOS section of the software download page on the wiki. Please note, only the image labelled as 'Phoenix Card image' should be burned with the PhoenixCard software. All other available images (8GB, 16GB, 32GB, 64GB) should be burned either with Win32DiskImager (free software) on Windows, or via the dd terminal command on Linux-based machines and Macs. This misinformation on the wiki needs to be corrected.

You may want to test your microSD card prior to attempting to load an operating system onto it. Some cards misreport the actual size of the storage space available on the card. Software to test your microSD is available here.
"The actual image that is burned is much smaller than 32GB, around 460MB to just over 1GB, depending on which image is burned."

That is good to know, the actual file is a huge pig though, and I don't really get it, I suppose the point is that the image has to cover the whole card, so it is large, but there is lots of space in there. So far, relatively powerful new computers are choking on this file

"Also, you shouldn't need to spend any money on unzipping software. You can use the trial version of WinRAR for as long as you like, and there are many free unzipping alternatives out there."

Can you suggest some. I tried, cloudconvert, and it choked on Remix, though it did Phoenix and that file ran. I used Winrar for an attempt on Linux/Pi project. that one didn't work either, it might have been because I didn't run something like Phoenix to burn it, just tried to copy it. Ancient history. Comparatively though, the file sizes were small.

But the point is that I can't use the fee Winrar because I already burned through the trial, and they want me to pay. They ask why I don't want to pay. One of the options is that one thinks winrar is/ought to be free, which made me feel small, but come to think of it is my operating principle. Is there a hack to perpetuate, winrar. I tried deleting cookies and using a private session of Firefox. Other family members have tried to open it, but it chokes everything in sight.

"Pre-burned cards were indeed available as options via Backerkit."

Geez, I bought everything else under the sun. Were they loaded with Remix?

I think I have the process for Phoenix worked out. It sounds simple enough, and I watched identical different videos on the process. SO here is hoping.

Many thanks!!
(06-09-2016, 01:36 AM)Tam Dl Wrote: "The actual image that is burned is much smaller than 32GB, around 460MB to just over 1GB, depending on which image is burned."

That is good to know, the actual file is a huge pig though, and I don't really get it, I suppose the point is that the image has to cover the whole card, so it is large, but there is lots of space in there.  So far, relatively powerful new computers are choking on this file

"Also, you shouldn't need to spend any money on unzipping software. You can use the trial version of WinRAR for as long as you like, and there are many free unzipping alternatives out there."

Can you suggest some.  I tried, cloudconvert, and it choked on Remix, though it did Phoenix and that file ran.  I used Winrar for an attempt on Linux/Pi project.  that one didn't work either, it might have been because I didn't run something like Phoenix to burn it, just tried to copy it.  Ancient history.  Comparatively though, the file sizes were small.

But the point is that I can't use the fee Winrar because I already burned through the trial, and they want me to pay.  They ask why I don't want to pay.  One of the options is that one thinks winrar is/ought to be free, which made me feel small, but come to think of it is my operating principle.  Is there a hack to perpetuate, winrar.  I tried deleting cookies and using a private session of Firefox.  Other family members have tried to open it, but it chokes everything in sight.

"Pre-burned cards were indeed available as options via Backerkit."

Geez, I bought everything else under the sun.  Were they loaded with Remix?

I think I have the process for Phoenix worked out.  It sounds simple enough, and I watched identical different videos on the process.  SO here is hoping.

Many thanks!!

Hey again.

Not sure why the file you are downloading is so large, it shouldn't be any bigger than 1.5GB maximum and should not take too long to download, even for a relatively old computer. 

WinRAR should let you keep using it, even after any trial period has expired. So not sure what the issue is here either. Anyway, two alternatives are WinZip and 7-Zip.

I believe RemixOS was one of the options with the pre-loaded microSD cards, yes.

Good luck with PhoenixCard. Remember, there is only one image of those available on the Software part of the Pine64 wiki that is intended for burning with PhoenixCard. All the other RemixOS images offered (8GB, 16GB, 32GB, 64GB) are designed for use with Win32DiskImager or via the dd command in a terminal on Macs or Linux-based systems.
Why not shrink each image down, slightly, so that they'll fit on a wide range of cards? There are bound to be variations in storage sizes, but why not go with the smaller standard (1000 MB = 1 GB, rather than 1024 MB = 1 GB)?

I've tried 32GB images of Android, RemixOS, and OpenHab, and none will fit on the 32GB SanDisk Ultra microSD cards I have. I'm using 16GB images, as a result. Are issues with Google Play due to that, I wonder?

Since I can't find a way to convert IMG to ZIP, I have no way to trim the fat myself. There's a web site that claims to be able to do it in the cloud, but none of my cloud accounts has 32GB of space.
NexusDude of Central Texas
  • Setup: Pine64+ 2GB, On/Off button, RTC battery, 5V fan, LG 1.8A power adapter, Cat6 Ethernet, HDMI to TV, USB keyboard & mouse, SanDisk Ultra mSD "32GB" (28.7GB). Using Win32DiskImager.
  • Best OS experiences: Debian XFCE >> Android Lollipop > the rest
I think I solved the download problem as I was planing on using phoenix, and I was actually downloading the 32G fine. In one of the videos I watched they said the latest version was always top on the list, so I took that too literally.

I think I burned the image. the final line said something positive like successful, but there were not the final two lines I saw in the video, one of which used the word magic, I think. What is the signal that one has the complete burn.

I put the card in the Pine 64 hitched up the backer kit power supply, and theHDMI cable to TV, a USB wifi keyboard, and the modem cable. No action when I switched on the power bar, I get a red light but nothing comes over the screen.

How do I know the card is good, did I plug in too much stuff for the first boot. Anything else I seem to have goofed.
(06-12-2016, 07:24 AM)NexusDude Wrote: Why not shrink each image down, slightly, so that they'll fit on a wide range of cards? There are bound to be variations in storage sizes, but why not go with the smaller standard (1000 MB = 1 GB, rather than 1024 MB = 1 GB)?

I've tried 32GB images of Android, RemixOS, and OpenHab, and none will fit on the 32GB SanDisk Ultra microSD cards I have. I'm using 16GB images, as a result. Are issues with Google Play due to that, I wonder?

Since I can't find a way to convert IMG to ZIP, I have no way to trim the fat myself. There's a web site that claims to be able to do it in the cloud, but none of my cloud accounts has 32GB of space.

I don't think zipping the image will help. You need an image file, not a zip file. Zip is just a form of file compression that allows you to shrink the file size down, for ease of storage and transfer. Most files need to be unzipped again before they can actually be used.
(06-08-2016, 09:54 PM)Tam Dl Wrote: I have a 10 speed SD card 32gig.  I went to the Pine Wiki and tried to download the 32G version of remix.  That file appears to be larger than the usable space on a 32G card.  Should I therefor try the 16G version?  What is going on here, what good is a 32G memory card that is already filled with 32G of stuff? 

Um, I may be missing something here... but when I go to the pine64 wiki page, the image for RemixOS is only a 1.2GB download, and is for a 8GB card (not for 16GB or 32GB). 

The disk image is in a zip file (making it so the image of the 8GB memory card is only a 1.2GB file) so you need to extract that first, and then follow the setup instructions near the top of the wiki page:

Quote:Setup Steps:
  1. Download the preferred OS image from below OS links and extract the img file from the archive using 7-Zip

2. Use Win32 Disk Imager or Linux dd command to write the img to a SD card

3. Insert the SD card into Pine A64 board and boot it up

I do not believe you use Phoenix for any of the images except for the Android one. And once you have booted up most of the linux images on the wiki, you can resize the filesystem to use the full card. 
(06-14-2016, 02:38 AM)pfeerick Wrote:
(06-08-2016, 09:54 PM)Tam Dl Wrote: I have a 10 speed SD card 32gig.  I went to the Pine Wiki and tried to download the 32G version of remix.  That file appears to be larger than the usable space on a 32G card.  Should I therefor try the 16G version?  What is going on here, what good is a 32G memory card that is already filled with 32G of stuff? 

Um, I may be missing something here... but when I go to the pine64 wiki page, the image for RemixOS is only a 1.2GB download, and is for a 8GB card (not for 16GB or 32GB). 

The disk image is in a zip file (making it so the image of the 8GB memory card is only a 1.2GB file) so you need to extract that first, and then follow the setup instructions near the top of the wiki page:

Quote:Setup Steps:
  1. Download the preferred OS image from below OS links and extract the img file from the archive using 7-Zip

2. Use Win32 Disk Imager or Linux dd command to write the img to a SD card

3. Insert the SD card into Pine A64 board and boot it up

I do not believe you use Phoenix for any of the images except for the Android one. And once you have booted up most of the linux images on the wiki, you can resize the filesystem to use the full card. 

There are PhoenixCard images for both Android and RemixOS. You have to go specifically to the Software Release section of the wiki. There are more options available there.
(06-14-2016, 12:19 AM)Tam Dl Wrote: I think I solved the download problem as I was planing on using phoenix, and I was actually downloading the 32G fine.  In one of the videos I watched they said the latest version was always top on the list, so I took that too literally.

I think I burned the image.  the final line said something positive like successful, but there were not the final two lines I saw in the video, one of which used the word magic, I think.  What is the signal that one has the complete burn.

I put the card in the Pine 64 hitched up the backer kit power supply, and theHDMI cable to TV, a USB wifi keyboard, and the modem cable.  No action when I switched on the power bar, I get a red light but nothing comes over the screen.

How do I know the card is good, did I plug in too much stuff for the first boot.  Anything else I seem to have goofed.

I don't remember a line saying anything about magic when burning, just a series of success messages.

Can't completely rule out some kind of video issue here, either.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question External storage problem for pine64 Dani6102 4 1,618 08-22-2023, 08:36 AM
Last Post: gulshan212
  PINE A64 SBC: Clone of a functional 32GB SD card doesn't boot burningkrome 3 1,505 05-19-2023, 07:43 AM
Last Post: crocspot
  Jack connector problem pinebug 0 1,485 11-10-2022, 01:46 PM
Last Post: pinebug
Exclamation Can't boot when SD card inserted kivox 5 7,916 03-15-2020, 06:00 AM
Last Post: kivox
  Need Sollution : Screen Problem and says the Error "Out of Range" on the display hunterzonecss 2 3,978 04-19-2019, 08:26 AM
Last Post: psychedup
Photo Daughter Card SBC for P64 blue 5 6,937 08-22-2017, 07:51 AM
Last Post: blue
  Pine64 $15 card killed my $120 keyboard exa 22 27,105 01-04-2017, 09:01 AM
Last Post: skenn_ie
  overlapping partitions issue with resize of 8GB image put on 16GB sd card dkryder 10 11,884 10-05-2016, 11:32 AM
Last Post: dkryder
  problem connecting to Pine 64 store stephen fleming 2 4,275 09-24-2016, 08:57 PM
Last Post: stephen fleming
  SD card recovery TeaPack 8 8,513 08-07-2016, 07:35 AM
Last Post: xalius