Kali Linux password fail
Hello,

I have Pinebook Pro with Kali 2020.1
 for ARM. I logs in with kali/kali for a while and I decided that I should change my password to a more secure one. So, I used command "passwd"

kali@kali:~$ passwd
current password:
Enter new password:
Retype new password:
passwd: Your password has been successfully changed.

And I changed it => "Your password has been successfully changed." and when I log in to terminal for recheck it works fine. But when I restarted it, I couldn't log in. Password is too easy. I couldn't forget him. I've tried to find tips on Google but most tips counts the grub and Pinebook Pro doesn't have it.

Thank you in advance for any answers.

PS: I tried to write to official Kali forum but for some reason they didn't post it to me. 
PS 2: Sorry for my english.
You could login as root and force a change password that way. Your other option would be to boot another Linux distro and edit the passwords file under a root account.

Btw, Kali Linux is by design insecure, you really shouldn't use it as a daily driver.
(02-08-2021, 06:35 PM)barray Wrote: You could login as root and force a change password that way. Your other option would be to boot another Linux distro and edit the passwords file under a root account.

Btw, Kali Linux is by design insecure, you really shouldn't use it as a daily driver.

I couldn't login as root because version 2020.1 does not have root account - https://www.linuxuprising.com/2020/01/ka...-root.html

" In an article posted on the Kali blog, it's explained that over the years, more and more users have started to use Kali as their daily driver. With this usage increasing over time, "there is the obvious conclusion that default root user is no longer necessary and Kali will be better off moving to a more traditional security model." "
From some other boot, ie if kali on emmc, use SDboot, if k on SD, emmc boot or card reader
mount kali / somewhere, cd kali/etc, edit shadow (kali/etc/shadow)
Look for the line with your login name,, for example (for d,, changed)
d:$6$HAGjYB4WRfi91DJ8$l0wAB0N.IalV4hlvsiLjm/MEbi7TK5Jhgi5hyzBVCimYyS5TlYeLuEp0:17525::99999::::
make it
d::17525::99999::::
ie,,$USER::other stuff,, nothing between first 2 colons, this will be passwordless
Do make a backup first, in case you really screw up
(02-09-2021, 09:06 AM)Wawe Wrote:
(02-08-2021, 06:35 PM)barray Wrote: You could login as root and force a change password that way. Your other option would be to boot another Linux distro and edit the passwords file under a root account.

I couldn't login as root because version 2020.1 does not have root account - https://www.linuxuprising.com/2020/01/ka...-root.html

" In an article posted on the Kali blog, it's explained that over the years, more and more users have started to use Kali as their daily driver. With this usage increasing over time, "there is the obvious conclusion that default root user is no longer necessary and Kali will be better off moving to a more traditional security model." "

I still highly recommend not using it as a daily driver if security is important to you. The 'sort' of person who would want to use Kali shouldn't have it as their main OS Wink Also bare in mind that from a threat model perspective, you essentially tell some third party "I am an interesting target".

@wdt has documented for you exactly how to change the password. Be careful!
(02-09-2021, 11:26 AM)wdt Wrote: From some other boot, ie if kali on emmc, use SDboot, if k on SD, emmc boot or card reader
mount kali / somewhere, cd kali/etc, edit shadow (kali/etc/shadow)
Look for the line with your login name,, for example (for d,, changed)
d:$6$HAGjYB4WRfi91DJ8$l0wAB0N.IalV4hlvsiLjm/MEbi7TK5Jhgi5hyzBVCimYyS5TlYeLuEp0:17525::99999::::
make it
d::17525::99999::::
ie,,$USER::other stuff,, nothing between first 2 colons, this will be passwordless
Do make a backup first, in case you really screw up

Thanks so much for your help. It works!

(02-09-2021, 01:38 PM)barray Wrote:
(02-09-2021, 09:06 AM)Wawe Wrote:

I still highly recommend not using it as a daily driver if security is important to you. The 'sort' of person who would want to use Kali shouldn't have it as their main OS Wink Also bare in mind that from a threat model perspective, you essentially tell some third party "I am an interesting target".

@wdt has documented for you exactly how to change the password. Be careful!

Yeah, you're right, it wasn't very smart to put it on the main machine. I'll probably put an ubuntu mate there. Thanks for your recommendation.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Attempting to install Void Linux, boots into a black screen 9a3eedi 0 208 02-18-2024, 08:54 AM
Last Post: 9a3eedi
  Nethunter default password failed lamlarryyyy 0 267 11-23-2023, 02:48 AM
Last Post: lamlarryyyy
  Would a Pinebook Pro be good for a Linux newbie? cassado10 6 1,323 08-08-2023, 04:58 AM
Last Post: moobythegoldensock
  Kali Linux for Pinebook Pro - stuck on the login screen owaspfap 0 607 07-13-2023, 05:21 PM
Last Post: owaspfap
  Kali Linux for Pinebook Pro Luke 100 156,164 05-03-2023, 06:10 AM
Last Post: dachalife
  DiY - Installing Void Linux ARM On The Pinebook Pro vincele 1 1,126 11-28-2022, 05:03 PM
Last Post: tllim
  Arch Linux ARM root filesystem SKiljan 24 20,115 09-24-2022, 03:11 AM
Last Post: alexandre
Information Install Void Linux with near-full-disk encryption dumetrulo 3 2,947 09-05-2022, 12:00 PM
Last Post: petersen77
  Help with Kali Linux wifi not working but works with Manjaro PineSupporter 2 2,286 08-25-2022, 02:15 PM
Last Post: Niko
  Manjaro Gnome 22.06 pamac update fail/soft-bricked-OS u974615 5 2,216 08-21-2022, 12:00 PM
Last Post: u974615