Battery Charge Status not reporting correctly? (KDE Community Edition)
I noticed that the Battery Charge Percentage is not very accurately shown

I thought "eh 50% Battery, that's enough to run a System Update", which turned out to be wrong as the Phone shut down EARLY during the Update Process (within less than 5 minutes). You can probably guess how that bricked my install.

Before it shut down at random, I did use KDE Connect to send notifications to my Desktop (originally wanted to share Clipboard but NOPE, not installed on the Phone) and it sent mixed Messages about the Battery Status between 20% and 50%, both of which were considered "Low Battery". I did have the Phone plugged into the included USB Hub with Ethernet and the USB Charge Cable, so I am not sure how that influenced the whole ordeal.

All I know is:
1. Phone ran Update
2. Battery Low Warning Spam
3. Phone Shutdown during Update
4. Brick that gets stuck during K-Gear shaped Boot Animation

What the actual Issue is, I do not know. Only that this happened, and now I need to re-flash the eMMC, which apparently only works when the Battery is fully charged for some reason (according to the recently edited and easily missable Jumpdrive ReadMe on GitHub).

Trying out Mobian next, once the Battery is charged enough for flashing.
Well, since I got no reply here, I guess nobody knows what this Issue was.

I have another question:

What is the Battery Percentage at which the (KDE) PinePhone normally shuts down? Because I assume it is not 50%.
Hi,

I received my phone (@kde Community Edition) a few days ago and immediately noticed the performance of the battery and the battery indicator are suspicious. I've never seen the indication above 70%. When the phone boots it may indicate (say) 33% for some time, then later I'll notice it's 45% or something. It's just all over the place. I have no sense of what the battery life on a "full charge" might be, but my guess from the experience so far is some fraction of one hour! I wonder, it this a common experience? Or did I get a bad battery?

Not that this is a big deal, I bought the phone because it is interesting, and without assumption as to its utility. So far, what has worked is that I can send and receive texts. I can answer a phone call, or dial out. But I get no audio during a phone call, either via headphone or internal speaker.
I recently got the Community Edition: KDE Plasma Mobile, it came with Manjaro by default.

I just wanted to bump this thread and say I was experiencing the same exact issue out of the box where my battery status was not reporting correctly and would randomly jump drastically up and down and only charge to 88%
So, now that I got Mobian installed (had a random Issue with Jumpdrive, because my SD Card was not flashing properly the first time), I can at least say the Battery is fine and actually reporting properly, because i got it to something above 90%. I guess the KDE Edition is still a lot of work in progress. I got it because Kubuntu happens to be my Desktop Operating System. Wink

What i should say is that it is very hard to find good Information about anything.
Something like a "Common Issues" Section should be existing on the Install Wiki Page for Noob mistakes, like recognizing that the SD Card has not been flashed correctly (black screen with green flashing/blinking light), or that the Battery needs to be filled enough for Jumpdrive to work in the first place (USB not being recognized at all).
Not to mention the lack of a single line of how to use "dd" in command line to flash a specific image quickly and properly, if you are not doing it often (which I had to grab from the Mobian specific Wiki Page). Instead the Wiki says to use your favorite SD Flashing Utility. (and dont forget knowing about "lsblk" to make sure you flash to the right thing)

A lot of things that many common people barely ever do in Linux, are left very hard to discover, even though the PinePhone is an Entry point for many, just like most other Pine64 Products are (similar to Raspberry Pi). This is why I was surprised to find most needed Information off site.

Ofcourse I know that this is only for people who really want to try out things, and can deal with all the Early Access Linux Jank that happens, and I did deal with all this Jank just fine, but it took a lot of time to find certain seemingly trivial things, that many other people should've stumbled into before me.

Ah well, just a mini rant. Everything is fine on my end by now, and I can continue testing some more things in the future. ^^
(02-11-2021, 08:58 PM)Gregorius Techneticies Wrote: So, now that I got Mobian installed (had a random Issue with Jumpdrive, because my SD Card was not flashing properly the first time), I can at least say the Battery is fine and actually reporting properly, because i got it to something above 90%. I guess the KDE Edition is still a lot of work in progress. I got it because Kubuntu happens to be my Desktop Operating System. Wink

What i should say is that it is very hard to find good Information about anything.
Something like a "Common Issues" Section should be existing on the Install Wiki Page for Noob mistakes, like recognizing that the SD Card has not been flashed correctly (black screen with green flashing/blinking light), or that the Battery needs to be filled enough for Jumpdrive to work in the first place (USB not being recognized at all).
Not to mention the lack of a single line of how to use "dd" in command line to flash a specific image quickly and properly, if you are not doing it often (which I had to grab from the Mobian specific Wiki Page). Instead the Wiki says to use your favorite SD Flashing Utility. (and dont forget knowing about "lsblk" to make sure you flash to the right thing)

A lot of things that many common people barely ever do in Linux, are left very hard to discover, even though the PinePhone is an Entry point for many, just like most other Pine64 Products are (similar to Raspberry Pi). This is why I was surprised to find most needed Information off site.

Ofcourse I know that this is only for people who really want to try out things, and can deal with all the Early Access Linux Jank that happens, and I did deal with all this Jank just fine, but it took a lot of time to find certain seemingly trivial things, that many other people should've stumbled into before me.

Ah well, just a mini rant. Everything is fine on my end by now, and I can continue testing some more things in the future. ^^

I'm having an issue where I can't seem to boot from an SD, and the green light you're explaining when booting is basically happening to me. I've used dd and this balena etcher program to flash the image to an SD, I've mounted the SD on my distro just to see if the files were written successfully and they are but no matter what I try (JumpDrive or OS image) I can't seem to get anything to boot.. I'm confident that I've flashed the SD correctly but you explained you were having trouble originally with this what was your solution/issue?
(02-11-2021, 09:24 PM)Giddyup Wrote: I'm having an issue where I can't seem to boot from an SD, and the green light you're explaining when booting is basically happening to me. I've used dd and this balena etcher program to flash the image to an SD, I've mounted the SD on my distro just to see if the files were written successfully and they are but no matter what I try (JumpDrive or OS image) I can't seem to get anything to boot.. I'm confident that I've flashed the SD correctly but you explained you were having trouble originally with this what was your solution/issue?
My original Solution was "just flash the SD Card again", which you probably did already. (yes the SD Card looked perfectly correct to me, just like it did look to you)
Did you unxz the Jumpdrive .img File first so that the extension of it was clearly .img?
Did you use the latest Version of Jumpdrive? Because older ones dont work on the newest PinePhones. You need 0.6 and higher.
Did you make sure you didn't just have a bad SD Card? It can happen to anyone, even if unlikely.
Did you try flashing a different Operating System onto your "broken" SD Card to see if the Phone can boot from it?

And once you successfully installed Jumpdrive, make sure the Battery is full before using it, or else it will not be recognized as USB Device (the telnet thing wont work either).

The Battery will charge slowly if no working Operating System is installed, but it will work from any USB Port, and you can use the included Red Cable for it just fine. It also does Data perfectly fine too. The only reason it is Red is, because Qualcomm Quick Charge can interfere with things otherwise (those cables have better shielding), so they made sure that people know which USB cable is which by painting it Red.

I hope that helped. ^^

P.S. Make sure you don't write inside your quoted text. Wink
Thanks for the reply, I made a forum post myself because I am confident that I have done everything correctly and sadly the answer is yes to everything you've asked.

I really don't know what's going on Sad
Hrrm I once read that you should remove the Battery before removing the SD Card, did you do that? (I know for sure, I violated that Rule at least twice, and stuff still works)

Are there ways other than Jumpdrive or a pre-existing OS to flash the eMMC? Maybe something along those lines could help you if the built in SD Card Reader is faulty.

And super dumb Questions:
You did put the SD Card into the upper SD Card Slot and not the lower SIM Card Slot, right?
Also you didn't umop-apisdn anything either, right?

I don't think I have any more Ideas to help you. I'm new to this just like you. I just happen to know a bit about Development and Support from unrelated Projects. XD
(02-12-2021, 12:12 PM)Gregorius Techneticies Wrote: Hrrm I once read that you should remove the Battery before removing the SD Card, did you do that? (I know for sure, I violated that Rule at least twice, and stuff still works)

Are there ways other than Jumpdrive or a pre-existing OS to flash the eMMC? Maybe something along those lines could help you if the built in SD Card Reader is faulty.

And super dumb Questions:
You did put the SD Card into the upper SD Card Slot and not the lower SIM Card Slot, right?
Also you didn't umop-apisdn anything either, right?

I don't think I have any more Ideas to help you. I'm new to this just like you. I just happen to know a bit about Development and Support from unrelated Projects. XD

Yes, I've removed the battery every time. It's in the upper slot, my sim is in the bottom. I had to look up "umop-apisdn" but no that is not the case. I don't know of anything else to flash the emmc at this moment without using an SD card. The only reply I have on my post says hardware failure Sad I know people were just going to assume I'm doing something wrong but this isn't the case... I will contact support soon if no one can seem to help me. Thanks again and hope you have good luck with your phone!

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Increasing battery life slondr 8 2,983 03-19-2024, 02:15 PM
Last Post: aular
Bug Wrong Battery Charge Level Displayed - How to Fix acid andy 7 5,344 06-12-2023, 01:04 PM
Last Post: jakfish
  Genode OS Now Live (finally a battery friendly PP OS?) PineFone 0 1,476 02-04-2023, 09:38 AM
Last Post: PineFone
  Pine phone Battery life vs operating system bcnaz 19 21,324 08-27-2021, 09:35 PM
Last Post: bcnaz
  Beta Convergence edition external display? Ferenc 3 2,324 07-28-2021, 11:50 AM
Last Post: Ferenc
  KDE community edition, first feedback Goffi 2 2,885 02-08-2021, 02:42 PM
Last Post: treebuilder
  Nav buttons and status drawer no longer visible (KDE Community Edition) heatsink 6 6,977 02-04-2021, 06:09 PM
Last Post: bshah
  Battery life for various OS & UI lat 8 9,568 12-21-2020, 08:20 PM
Last Post: ryo
  Low Battery indication (Manjaro/PostmarketOS with phosh) MamlinAV 3 4,414 12-16-2020, 03:44 AM
Last Post: dukla2000
  MMS Status Update - Lots of progress! kop316 2 5,302 12-12-2020, 05:47 PM
Last Post: kop316