Is SPI Working?
louwie17, he mentioned "mainline" in that post, so he's not on the 3.10 legacy kernel Wink Try the link on the right side on the download page. You'll lose the desktop environment, but you'll get the newer 4.x kernel series. Just note that it is considered experimental still, not stable.
(07-29-2017, 08:39 PM)pfeerick Wrote: louwie17, he mentioned "mainline" in that post, so he's not on the 3.10 legacy kernel Wink Try the link on the right side on the download page. You'll lose the desktop environment, but you'll get the newer 4.x kernel series. Just note that it is considered experimental still, not stable.

Hey pfeerick,
I tried that one as well, downloaded from here: https://dl.armbian.com/pine64/nightly/
but that version would never get to the login screen, it would show the Armbian boot process quickly and then disappear.
Since it sounded like x893 got it working I didn't think it would be that version.
It might be related to the kernel version, as I remember reading somewhere that it booted fine on kernel 4.10. Anyway I guess that's where the experimental part comes into play.
(07-30-2017, 05:56 AM)louwie17 Wrote: Hey pfeerick,
I tried that one as well, downloaded from here: https://dl.armbian.com/pine64/nightly/
but that version would never get to the login screen, it would show the Armbian boot process quickly and then disappear.
Since it sounded like x893 got it working I didn't think it would be that version.
It might be related to the kernel version, as I remember reading somewhere that it booted fine on kernel 4.10. Anyway I guess that's where the experimental part comes into play.

Drats... yeah, there has been at least one kernel bump since Apr, and then also package changes... so something may have gone there since with the video. If you have a DHCP server and ethernet handy, you should be able to plug in, scan your network or check your modem/router for the IP, and log in via SSH as root/1234 still though. Or via serial console. Obviously doesn't help though if it has completely locked up, or you needed the display working. Undecided

I just tried that nightly build also, and I'm surprised you got anything on the screen... nothing showed on mine at all! And if I'm reading the mainline status matrix correctly for the A64, that is to be expected, because HDMI is WIP, and everything else is up in the air or unknown.
(07-30-2017, 06:26 PM)pfeerick Wrote: Drats... yeah, there has been at least one kernel bump since Apr, and then also package changes... so something may have gone there since with the video.  If you have a DHCP server and ethernet handy, you should be able to plug in, scan your network or check your modem/router for the IP, and log in via SSH as root/1234 still though. Or via serial console. Obviously doesn't help though if it has completely locked up, or you needed the display working.  Undecided

I just tried that nightly build also, and I'm surprised you got anything on the screen... nothing showed on mine at all! And if I'm reading the mainline status matrix correctly for the A64, that is to be expected, because HDMI is WIP, and everything else is up in the air or unknown.

Strange you don't see anything, although maybe that depends on the monitor, cause it displays it in a really odd resolution. But after that my display goes into stand by mode right away.
I will try the SSH tonight or tomorrow! If that doesn't work I will have to figure out some other solution to get the SPI to work (or patiently twirl my fingers for a while).
(07-30-2017, 06:26 PM)pfeerick Wrote: Drats... yeah, there has been at least one kernel bump since Apr, and then also package changes... so something may have gone there since with the video.  If you have a DHCP server and ethernet handy, you should be able to plug in, scan your network or check your modem/router for the IP, and log in via SSH as root/1234 still though. Or via serial console. Obviously doesn't help though if it has completely locked up, or you needed the display working.  Undecided 

A bit of a late reply, but I was able to successfully SSH into my pine64 with the new kernel, I added the lines below to the /boot/armbianEnv.txt and got the SPI working Smile

overlays=spi-spidev
param_spidev_spi_bus=0

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  touch screen not working mike280z 1 3,601 12-22-2016, 12:46 PM
Last Post: Bluphire
  RaZberry Module (z-wave) need support to get it working! Luxus 13 18,720 11-03-2016, 02:04 AM
Last Post: Luxus