Pinephone on Cricket Wireless (USA) no service
This is bigger than the Pinephone. Basically AT&T is going to stop supporting anything that isn’t an iPhone or one of “their” Androids. This is their whitelist: https://www.att.com/ecms/dam/att/consume...etwork.pdf

My wife’s Huawei P20 and my Huawei P10 Plus got texts informing us they’ll need replaced by Feb 2022. Both support VoLTE, but AT&T won’t support them.
This really stinks. I guess I'm surprised it took them this long though.

I wonder how they Identity the phone, and how we can spoof it.
(03-18-2021, 06:43 AM)KC9UDX Wrote: This really stinks.  I guess I'm surprised it took them this long though.

You can't change your IMEI.
Shouldn't or can't? 

I mean could you buy a whitelisted phone, put it's IMEI on the PinePhone, and then the whitelisted phone in a box for safekeeping?

Is that really how they're identifying make/model?  I have a box of phones that don't have an IMEI, and think they still work.  (But probably those are not on the whitelist for that reason.)
I have no idea if it's feasible to change the IMEI, or how the phone would otherwise be identified. So far my Pinephone is still working on AT&T. (The SIM was activated on my LG flip phone.)

In the past whenever the cellular technology changed I was offered a free replacement simple-type phone. AT&T will probably do that again as we get closer to the 3G shutdown date. Problem is that all of the 4G simple phones I've seen are running a stripped down version of Android and I don't want to go there.
It's mainly identified by the by the IMEI on activation. Sometimes the phones get here before the carriers get the updated IMEI lists and models so it shows up as unknown Android device. There is something on an SOC in the Pinephone when this happens that identifies the phone as the Huawei Y9 Prime to the carrier if they are watching. Either the phone or components must be supplied by Huawei. That only lasts until the carrier and Google start to see your browser data packets. The user agent string will identify it as a Arch64 Linux computer. You can spoof that but you have to keep up on it. Spoofing can break after updates to the browser. I would just activate it in another device and then put the sim in a the Pinephone. Use a carrier that doesn't restrict what phone you want to use. Also, port your number to Google Voice. That way you won't risk loosing it if your carrier drops you and you can use it on any phone or even multiple phones, not to mention as a home phone via VIOP box all at the same time. You also never have to worry about porting problems if you have to change carriers.
Google Voice? I can't speak for anyone else, but the whole reason I bought a Pinephone was to stay away from Google (Android)! Aside from the occasional youtube video I don't use any Google products, and do not have a Google account. (Ditto for Microsoft and Apple.)

It sounds like if you activate using another phone and just don't use mobile data you should be OK. (I've never had mobile data so I have no problem avoiding that feature and just using wifi for updates. All I'm really interested in is making and receiving phone calls.)
Plus, the moment you rely on Google Voice to keep your number, Google Voice changes the terms of service, or cancels Google Voice in favour of Duo. It might sound silly, but it happens.

When I got Google Voice, they would not accept my phone number, and would not even accept me using my phone carrier (FreedomPop) to verify my identity. I had to have someone else do it (!) I only use it to have a "spare" phone line to use for amateur radio purposes. If Google wants to snoop, they won't learn anything the whackos with scanners don't already have on me. Smile
While I see where you are coming from Google Voice is actually one of the few Google products that really can protect your privacy, even from Google. I work on the back end of Voice and Fi which has it's own back end now but used Voice until a few months ago. If you used a background investigation using your AT&T number because of it's history and links to you you can find out everything there is about you. Your address, your neighbors and your family. It's like a social security number. If you search a Google Voice number you won't find out much. Google blocks it somehow. While you have to have a Gmail you don't have to use it.

Don't take that too personally KC9UDX. Google Voice is only supposed to be available in the US and scammers and people outside the US were using the free FreedomPop plan to get Google Voice numbers so Google blocked it. GV isn't going anywhere. I have had a GV number for 12 years.
(03-18-2021, 09:46 AM)C0ffeeFreak Wrote:
(03-18-2021, 06:43 AM)KC9UDX Wrote: This really stinks.  I guess I'm surprised it took them this long though.

You can't change your IMEI.
You can spoof your IMEI at least, although that might not be legal everywhere. I'm not aware of any effort towards that on the Pinephone, but it's possible on other rooted phones. I don't know if this is the or the only way how carriers identify your phone model though.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  PinePhone - boot from microSD laserpyramid 6 534 04-22-2024, 02:22 AM
Last Post: bongosunny
  pinephone virtual keyboard aular 4 338 04-10-2024, 03:45 PM
Last Post: aular
  PinePhone Doesn't Boot LED Doesn't Show Any Signs When Charging dorkydev 1 227 04-02-2024, 11:50 AM
Last Post: Kevin Kofler
  Are you using the Pinephone as your daily driver? jro 157 108,850 02-18-2024, 11:33 PM
Last Post: aular
  2020 PinePhone Manjaro CE EU for sale, name your price astrojuanlu 7 1,774 02-14-2024, 04:51 PM
Last Post: astrojuanlu
  pinephone is not bootble for the box. ijij 1 598 01-19-2024, 01:29 PM
Last Post: fxc
  Multiple issues with the Pinephone MTXP 12 2,332 12-28-2023, 07:55 AM
Last Post: MTXP
  pinephone repair shop shengchieh 0 489 12-26-2023, 02:42 PM
Last Post: shengchieh
  sudo nano file saving pinephone beta edition CharlesGnarley 4 1,671 12-22-2023, 03:44 PM
Last Post: Kevin Kofler
  Can't get Mobian on PinePhone to recognise USB-C docking bar duncan_bayne 9 6,932 12-04-2023, 02:14 AM
Last Post: Peter Gamma