Way to Copy / Clone eMMC for Another Phone
Hello,

Fairly new to the whole PinePhone experience (got my first phone about a week ago), but so far been really enjoying messing around with the phone. I have been customizing Mobian (Phosh) and currently have it on eMMC of a 2GB / 16GB Manjaro Pinephone. I went ahead and ordered another phone (3GB / 32GB Mobian version) and I was wondering what would be the easiest way to transfer this setup (if possible) of what I have currently over to the new phone, once it is shipped and delivered?

Make an image? using dd? Transfer over to SDCard? Another way? 

Thanks for any help!
Proud Owner : 
OG Pinephone 
Pinetime
Pinetab
dd would be the simplest way, or any other tool to create an iso

with dd it's as simple as
Code:
dd if=/dev/sd<your phone> of=/path/to/my.iso
and then zip it up if you wish to compress all the unused space.
Is there any way of doing this without copying gigabytes of mostly empty space?
(01-25-2021, 11:41 AM)nas Wrote: Is there any way of doing this without copying gigabytes of mostly empty space?
Of course there is. You can dd to STDOUT (e.g. by omitting the of= parameter), piping to a compressor utility, then save to disk.
You can use gzip to create a compressed image file.
Pinephone OS Backups (System Images)
(01-25-2021, 11:41 AM)nas Wrote: Is there any way of doing this without copying gigabytes of mostly empty space?
You'd need a tool that's aware of the filesystem, partitioning and possibly the bootloader. Partimage used to do that sort of thing, but doesn't support the more recent filesystems, and may not do the bootloader correctly. I don't know of anything else that does it, so you might have to write something that creates an image file, partitions it, formats the partitions to match, mounts source read-only and target read-write, and uses rsync or similar to transfer content. And the bootloader. I suppose another option would be to use one of the partition-shrinking tools so you can copy a nearly-full partition rather than a mostly empty one.
(01-24-2021, 04:48 PM)Codenul Wrote: Hello,

Fairly new to the whole PinePhone experience (got my first phone about a week ago), but so far been really enjoying messing around with the phone. I have been customizing Mobian (Phosh) and currently have it on eMMC of a 2GB / 16GB Manjaro Pinephone. I went ahead and ordered another phone (3GB / 32GB Mobian version) and I was wondering what would be the easiest way to transfer this setup (if possible) of what I have currently over to the new phone, once it is shipped and delivered?

Make an image? using dd? Transfer over to SDCard? Another way? 

Thanks for any help!

BalenaEtcher is pretty easy to use on a PC and can clone your drive

https://www.balena.io/etcher/

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Looking for the "non-phone" OS wakyct 7 938 03-14-2024, 03:51 AM
Last Post: MTXP
  Writing apps/programs for pine phone katesfb 7 4,745 03-11-2024, 10:42 PM
Last Post: Emelia525
  install iso from sd card to emmc aular 2 171 03-11-2024, 10:24 PM
Last Post: tllim
  How To Access the Pine Phone Auxillary microSD Without Removing Card pinephoneuser22 2 791 01-09-2024, 07:02 PM
Last Post: britelite
  Can the Pine Phone be serviced and updated remotely? profileyourcity 3 991 10-02-2023, 05:19 PM
Last Post: Zebulon Walton
  UBports on pine phone? robb777 16 3,419 09-01-2023, 04:26 AM
Last Post: gregb49
  US Cell Phone Service Providers with prices and phone numbers - UPDATED jovval 0 680 07-01-2023, 01:25 AM
Last Post: jovval
  Loving my pine phone after about a year of not undata 0 655 05-11-2023, 02:23 PM
Last Post: undata
  New Pinephone is dead. eMMC, boot, hardware issues. Shane 4 1,344 05-10-2023, 03:31 AM
Last Post: fxc
  Jumpdrive broken? eMMc broken Uturn 5 1,603 04-21-2023, 12:37 AM
Last Post: Uturn