Yet another Epic Pine Store fail
(01-28-2021, 03:32 PM)KC9UDX Wrote: Then Mexico taxes the base price, not the value.

It's the base price you paid for the item. If you do not have a receipt showing how much you paid for the item, then they do a search on a market value.  I once crossed the border with telecommunication equipment samples which I paid nothing for. I had no receipt since I paid nothing, they charged me a tax on the market value they found by looking online.
Ordered a Mobian edition the other day, I really hope Pine64 are NOT going to incorrectly include the shipping cost with the item value when sending to Australia.  Per our import law:

Quote:ARE FREIGHT AND INSURANCE COSTS INCLUDED?
The Customs value does not include freight and insurance costs in transporting the goods from the ‘place of export’ to Australia.

</2 cents>
The Mexican government is very modern in these regards. They seem to do a lot of things online. I was surprised ten years ago or so when a coworker requested his wife's birth certificate; and they emailed it to him.
(01-28-2021, 05:01 PM)anomaly Wrote: Ordered a Mobian edition the other day, I really hope Pine64 are NOT going to incorrectly include the shipping cost with the item value when sending to Australia.  Per our import law:

The Customs value does not include freight and insurance costs in transporting the goods from the ‘place of export’ to Australia.

</2 cents>

There is no way of telling just from the outside of the package as the declaration is not on it. You would have to contact DHL directly and ask them.
I am sure they did include the total of shipping costs on to the total.

(01-28-2021, 05:02 PM)KC9UDX Wrote: The Mexican government is very modern in these regards.  They seem to do a lot of things online.  I was surprised ten years ago or so when a coworker requested his wife's birth certificate; and they emailed it to him.

Birth certificates are not done from a central government office. They have people which are appointed as civil registrars which do things like register births, and marriages. The government pays them a salary for doing it . Each municipality will have x number of people appointed for the population size.

As customs, they give them cell phones so they can also look up item prices for duties.
(01-28-2021, 05:01 PM)anomaly Wrote: Ordered a Mobian edition the other day, I really hope Pine64 are NOT going to incorrectly include the shipping cost with the item value when sending to Australia.  Per our import law:

</2 cents>

To quote the rest of the section that you quoted from:

Quote:However, any inland freight and inland insurance costs incurred
by the purchaser before the goods leave the ‘place of export’ are
included in the Customs value.

I think that implies if you pay Pine64/shipper to send goods via DHL to Australia that cost could be part of the total value for customs. Actually, I think whomever wrote that entire publication made an error in that section because it contradicts what was written in the first section.

Re: https://www.abf.gov.au/imports/files/fac...-goods.pdf
(01-28-2021, 06:13 PM)lot378 Wrote:

</2 cents>

To quote the rest of the section that you quoted from:

Quote:However, any inland freight and inland insurance costs incurred
by the purchaser before the goods leave the ‘place of export’ are
included in the Customs value.

I think that implies if you pay Pine64/shipper to send goods via DHL to Australia that cost could be part of the total value for customs. Actually, I think whomever wrote that entire publication made an error in that section because it contradicts what was written in the first section.

Re: https://www.abf.gov.au/imports/files/fac...-goods.pdf

As someone who imports quite a lot of stuff from outside Australia, I've had it confirmed many times both by my tax agent and the ATO that shipping costs paid outside of Australia do not attract GST and as such cannot be reclaimed.I think perhaps they would like to have their cake and eat it too.
(01-28-2021, 07:27 PM)pjsf Wrote: As someone who imports quite a lot of stuff from outside Australia, I've had it confirmed many times both by my tax agent and the ATO that shipping costs paid outside of Australia do not attract GST and as such cannot be reclaimed.I think perhaps they would like to have their cake and eat it too.

So then the Pine Store declares the correct value, or the total including shipping costs to AU?
(02-01-2021, 12:41 AM)KNERD Wrote:
(01-28-2021, 07:27 PM)pjsf Wrote: As someone who imports quite a lot of stuff from outside Australia, I've had it confirmed many times both by my tax agent and the ATO that shipping costs paid outside of Australia do not attract GST and as such cannot be reclaimed.I think perhaps they would like to have their cake and eat it too.

So then the Pine Store declares the correct value, or the total including shipping costs to AU?

I think the general takeaway is that shipping should not be included in the total *value* of the item, at least to some countries.  Granted it'd be hard for Pine64 to keep on top of all the individual idiosyncrasies each country has with customs duty.
(02-02-2021, 08:13 PM)anomaly Wrote: I think the general takeaway is that shipping should not be included in the total *value* of the item, at least to some countries.  Granted it'd be hard for Pine64 to keep on top of all the individual idiosyncrasies each country has with customs duty.

Since they seem to use DHL for the most part exclusively, then they should be able to assist with them on that.

Still not heard back from sales on the screw up on declaration.
Heard back from Pine Store. They indicated they would discuss the issue with their logistics team on applying the correct declaration.
Also offered a small refund on some of the over charge.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Ordered Pinecil + misc stuff in March, haven't heard anything, zoho website fail nazrin 10 8,395 07-06-2021, 02:06 AM
Last Post: tllim
  BEFORE You post asking about shipping from Pine Store (not Kickstarter) rahlquist 41 79,366 10-13-2016, 03:56 PM
Last Post: hans
  Kickstarter but no Pine..... JohnConner 7 10,250 08-30-2016, 03:37 AM
Last Post: MarkHaysHarris777
  Is the Pine A64+ 2G Sold out? Akmcc00 0 2,347 08-14-2016, 12:09 PM
Last Post: Akmcc00
  Missing Pine A64 boards Mikedr44628 2 4,296 07-26-2016, 02:00 AM
Last Post: Mikedr44628
Information Non-backer Pine A64+ recieved jayare69@pacbell.net 0 1,969 06-30-2016, 03:37 PM
Last Post: jayare69@pacbell.net
  Is shipping@pine email pointless? montero65 7 7,938 06-29-2016, 06:57 AM
Last Post: DonFL
  Oh great - Pine Store cancelled my order 1cheapmike 3 5,963 06-24-2016, 09:55 AM
Last Post: Mr Edd
  Oh great - Pine Store cancelled my order 1cheapmike 0 2,058 06-18-2016, 04:16 PM
Last Post: 1cheapmike
  February Backer, Still no Pine 64 preimmortal 11 14,742 06-10-2016, 05:37 PM
Last Post: tllim