Yet another Epic Pine Store fail
I ordered a PinePhone replacement LCD screen which is only $30 USD
The person/persons who shipped up put the total declared value of $65. Te $65 USD included the cost of $35 for shipping via DHL
The problem with this is where I had it shipped, they charge a tax plus collection fees of anything over $50.
They wanted fees of nearly totally the the shipping and price for the LCD.

You people need to get your crap together. I rejected the packed. I submitted a ticket for them to send another with the CORRECT declared value.

Hopefully this won't turn into a PayPal dispute like I have seen in many other threads.
I think duty/tax is calculated on (value of goods + shipping cost/insurance) at least that is my experience. That is why the shipping cost/insurance is declared on the customs note with the value of the goods. Pine64 are following regulations for import duty tax.
(01-24-2021, 10:57 AM)lot378 Wrote: I think duty/tax is calculated on (value of goods + shipping cost/insurance) at least that is my experience. That is why the shipping cost/insurance is declared on the customs note with the value of the goods. Pine64 are following regulations for import duty tax.

But as mentioned in this case they included the value of the item plus the shipping costs, so no they did not following correct regulations. You don't pay more in taxes than the value of the item.
(01-24-2021, 01:16 PM)KNERD Wrote:
(01-24-2021, 10:57 AM)lot378 Wrote: I think duty/tax is calculated on (value of goods + shipping cost/insurance) at least that is my experience. That is why the shipping cost/insurance is declared on the customs note with the value of the goods. Pine64 are following regulations for import duty tax.

But as mentioned in this case they included the value of the item plus the shipping costs, so no they did not following correct regulations. You don't pay more in taxes than the value of the item.
I talked to a friend of mine in Europe who used to buy games from Hong Kong a lot.
Import duties are indeed based on the value of the item + shipping, not just the item alone.
They differ per shipping company too apparently, they told me that big multinational ones (Fedex, UPS) charge only duty costs, while national companies usually charge up to 7 times more over the same value.
母語は日本語ですが、英語も喋れます(ry
Just received the KDE Community Edition and flashed UBports onto it using a 32gb sd. As I stated in an email to Pinephone, this 'phone' is simply not functional. In all reality this should come as no big surpise considering the quality of the hardware that the company chose to put into their product. When I bought the phone I realized that it might have a few bugs to work out. I didn't realize it was this bad and why. I still really dig the concept of a Linux smartphone company, however, if Pinephone has any intention of being a serious company then perhaps they should start with putting better nuts and bolts in their devices. Just a thought...
(01-24-2021, 04:42 PM)ryo Wrote:

I talked to a friend of mine in Europe who used to buy games from Hong Kong a lot.
Import duties are indeed based on the value of the item + shipping, not just the item alone.
They differ per shipping company too apparently, they told me that big multinational ones (Fedex, UPS) charge only duty costs, while national companies usually charge up to 7 times more over the same value.

I did not import anything into Europe. Where I did have a replacement screen sent, they only charge a tax of anything of $50 USD and up on the declared value only (shipping is not declarable value) . A replacement screen is only $30 USD.  When I ordered the phone, I had it sent to the USA because I was not charged any import duties, or tax. In this case I was being charged a tax and collection fees based on $65 USD. This came out to be more than the cost of the replacement LCD screen. Unaccpetable
(01-24-2021, 06:45 PM)MaitreyaMelchizedek Wrote: Just received the KDE Community Edition and flashed UBports onto it using a 32gb sd. As I stated in an email to Pinephone, this 'phone' is simply not functional. In all reality this should come as no big surpise considering the quality of the hardware that the company chose to put into their product. When I bought the phone I realized that it might have a few bugs to work out. I didn't realize it was this bad and why. I still really dig the concept of a Linux smartphone company, however, if Pinephone has any intention of being a serious company then perhaps they should start with putting better nuts and bolts in their devices. Just a thought...

The issue is not all the company of Pine64 , but the partnering company they have do all the manufacturing, and sending the items out.  It seems the Pine64 customer service is getting a lot of complaints on here about not responding. Have they responded to you?
(01-24-2021, 08:33 PM)KNERD Wrote:

I did not import anything into Europe. Where I did have a replacement screen sent, they only charge a tax of anything of $50 USD and up on the declared value only (shipping is not declarable value) . A replacement screen is only $30 USD.  When I ordered the phone, I had it sent to the USA because I was not charged any import duties, or tax. In this case I was being charged a tax and collection fees based on $65 USD. This came out to be more than the cost of the replacement LCD screen. Unaccpetable
The point isn't whether you're in Europe or not, the point is how import tax tends to work.
The reason why I asked somebody in Europe is simply because they have to deal with it every time they buy something from outside of the EU or EEA, and individual countries just tend to copy other country's worst practices, and maybe multiply by 10 along the way.
母語は日本語ですが、英語も喋れます(ry
(01-24-2021, 09:57 PM)ryo Wrote:
(01-24-2021, 08:33 PM)KNERD Wrote:

The point isn't whether you're in Europe or not, the point is how import tax tends to work.
The reason why I asked somebody in Europe is simply because they have to deal with it every time they buy something from outside of the EU or EEA, and individual countries just tend to copy other country's worst practices, and maybe multiply by 10 along the way.

Yeah, and the place I am dealing with taxes on charge a tax on the declared value of the item, not on the total cost of the item and shipping. With that, the declared value is $30USD, thus no tax involved. They royally screwed up.

Ahh. It was not clear to me that good value and shipping were not separated on the customs note, seems Pine64 filled it in incorrectly.

Would you care to share a photo of the customs note obviously removing identification?

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Ordered Pinecil + misc stuff in March, haven't heard anything, zoho website fail nazrin 10 8,395 07-06-2021, 02:06 AM
Last Post: tllim
  BEFORE You post asking about shipping from Pine Store (not Kickstarter) rahlquist 41 79,367 10-13-2016, 03:56 PM
Last Post: hans
  Kickstarter but no Pine..... JohnConner 7 10,250 08-30-2016, 03:37 AM
Last Post: MarkHaysHarris777
  Is the Pine A64+ 2G Sold out? Akmcc00 0 2,347 08-14-2016, 12:09 PM
Last Post: Akmcc00
  Missing Pine A64 boards Mikedr44628 2 4,297 07-26-2016, 02:00 AM
Last Post: Mikedr44628
Information Non-backer Pine A64+ recieved jayare69@pacbell.net 0 1,969 06-30-2016, 03:37 PM
Last Post: jayare69@pacbell.net
  Is shipping@pine email pointless? montero65 7 7,938 06-29-2016, 06:57 AM
Last Post: DonFL
  Oh great - Pine Store cancelled my order 1cheapmike 3 5,963 06-24-2016, 09:55 AM
Last Post: Mr Edd
  Oh great - Pine Store cancelled my order 1cheapmike 0 2,058 06-18-2016, 04:16 PM
Last Post: 1cheapmike
  February Backer, Still no Pine 64 preimmortal 11 14,743 06-10-2016, 05:37 PM
Last Post: tllim