HELP: PBP screen blanked
HELP: I got Pinebook Pro last May & it's a great. In last Nov Manjaro update, my PBP couldn't work. After  usual login, the screen went blank w a speaker blip. I received help fr the Support to flash  eMMC or boot fr a microSD card. None yield resolution.
I need HELP
What *have* you done so far?

You did a November update to Manjaro.

Did you reflash the eMMC?
Did you try to boot from micro SD?

I don't have experience with this problem, but it seems to be widely reported that a Manjaro update can cause your symptom, and that the U-Boot that comes with Manjaro can disallow booting from micro SD.

Have you read any of the other threads here about this?

What I expect is that you'll need to put a bootable image on a micro SD card, disable the eMMC by hardware switch, boot to said SD card, and reflash the eMMC.
(01-16-2021, 08:21 AM)KC9UDX Wrote: What *have* you done so far?

You did a November update to Manjaro.

Did you reflash the eMMC?
Did you try to boot from micro SD?

I don't have experience with this problem, but it seems to be widely reported that a Manjaro update can cause your symptom, and that the U-Boot that comes with Manjaro can disallow booting from micro SD.

Have you read any of the other threads here about this? 

What I expect is that you'll need to put a bootable image on a micro SD card, disable the eMMC by hardware switch, boot to said SD card, and reflash the eMMC.
Hi, thanks for your concern.

1. The usual Manjaro software update and rclone backup
But the rclone stuck for a while, so I hit Ctrl-X to exit and reboot PBP manual by pressing the power button.
Once it rebooted and done with the login, the screen went blank after a very soft blip sound from the speaker.

2. Pine Support's advice
I didn't get any advice from the Forum for resolution and I went to the Support.
Support told me to reflash the eMMC. I didn't have a tool. I followed online's advice to reflash the eMMC using a microSD and also boot PBP from a microSD. Both methods couldn't have PBP in Manjaro login with a normal screen. The screen went blank with a soft blip speaker sound after the usual login.
Then Support advised me to put this on Forum to seek advice as my PBP bought last May has expired warranty period.

These what really happened. I'm kinda lost now and my PBP is as good as useless.
I think then that my last statement was correct. I'm short on time at the moment, else I could find a post explaining how to do this. Perhaps you can find one, we've had quite a few of them I suppose.

To summarise though, this is what you'll need to do:
1) make a bootable SD, but not Manjaro. I like to use the Debian Desktop image from the wiki.
2) take the bottom cover off the PBP.
3) switch the eMMC off
4) boot from SD
5) download a bootable eMMC image, preferably just use the same Debian image from step 1.
6) turn the eMMC on
7) "bind" the eMMC
8) install the new image to the eMMC
9) power down
10) reassemble the PBP
(01-17-2021, 11:10 AM)KC9UDX Wrote: I think then that my last statement was correct.  I'm short on time at the moment, else I could find a post explaining how to do this. Perhaps you can find one, we've had quite a few of them I suppose.

To summarise though, this is what you'll need to do:
1) make a bootable SD, but not Manjaro.  I like to use the Debian Desktop image from the wiki.
2) take the bottom cover off the PBP.
3) switch the eMMC off
4) boot from SD
5) download a bootable eMMC image, preferably just use the same Debian image from step 1.
6) turn the eMMC on
7) "bind" the eMMC
8) install the new image to the eMMC
9) power down
10) reassemble the PBP
Thank you my friend. You saved my PBP. I managed to boot with Debian Desktop microSD card. Thank you so much.

I typed lsblk, and I believe my 64GB emmc is corrupted some how, here's what i got:
-mmcblk0p1 179:1 0 64M 0 part /boot.
Because the 654GB emmc cannot be 64M.

And meanwhile, I have to find in forum how to fix the problematic main charging port is not charging, only the USB-C is able to charge the PBP.

My friend, you are my savior. thanks. I will learn other software as well. But I will need to learn again how to setup the rclone.
mmcblk0p1 /boot being 64m is correct.

You should also have mmcblk0p0 as the boot code partition, and mmcblk0p2 as / (root).
At least that's what I think it should be. But perhaps mmcblk0p0 doesn't show up that way, and mmcblk0p2 maybe got clobbered.

As for the barrel charger port, it may be the wall wart that's bad rather than the PBP. At least, that's what I recall one other user reporting.

I'm glad it could help, and more glad you got it working. Have fun!

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Screen on pinebook stays black but can ssh into machine tuxxpine 0 238 02-23-2024, 04:22 PM
Last Post: tuxxpine
  Black screen by start up bluedemon382 10 2,749 07-27-2023, 07:49 AM
Last Post: dstallmo
  PBP blank screen after updating Manjaro Franko 6 1,869 04-01-2023, 07:55 AM
Last Post: hacknix
Question Pinebook Pro shows only bright white screen when powered on Sean Whitton 3 1,878 07-22-2022, 01:19 PM
Last Post: wdt
  Ring around screen following update tylerjohnson3208 2 2,005 05-10-2022, 01:52 AM
Last Post: diyagabriel
  Looking for Screen LCD Panel for the Pinebook Pro gerstavros 3 2,642 05-09-2022, 05:53 AM
Last Post: gerstavros
  Putting my screen on TV S265 6 4,593 10-07-2021, 08:00 PM
Last Post: ajawadmahmoud
  Screen refresh delay with kernel errors shawnanastasio 31 37,755 04-27-2021, 02:57 AM
Last Post: james64
  Novice question: Pinebook Pro does boot (does it?) but black screen Gert V. 21 19,129 01-27-2021, 10:48 PM
Last Post: rimaille
  Screen flicker with USB-C charging bchenlee609 5 5,710 01-25-2021, 08:48 PM
Last Post: bchenlee609