Anyone know how to start a terminal at current dir with Nemo?
Hi, I'm just using the default filemanager included with mobian, and I often would want to quickly start a terminal in the folder I am currently in.

I can find some options which should work, but no luck so far. I have enabled an icon on the taskbar of nemo which should start a terminal, but nothing happens.

In browsing the web, I found reference to this in regard to enabling a terminal in nemo, but I don't know how it would apply to mobian:
gsettings set org.cinnamon.desktop.default-applications.terminal exec <terminal-name>

I also found reference to "nemo-terminal", but I don't know how to install it (or if I should).

Can anyone help me with this?

Regards to all!
(01-14-2021, 05:40 AM)rp3 Wrote: Hi, I'm just using the default filemanager included with mobian, and I often would want to quickly start a terminal in the folder I am currently in.

I can find some options which should work, but no luck so far. I have enabled an icon on the taskbar of nemo which should start a terminal, but nothing happens.

In browsing the web, I found reference to this in regard to enabling a terminal in nemo, but I don't know how it would apply to mobian:
gsettings set org.cinnamon.desktop.default-applications.terminal exec <terminal-name>

I also found reference to "nemo-terminal", but I don't know how to install it (or if I should).

Regards to all!
Thing is, mobian uses kingscross by default. Have ou tried sudo apt install nemo-terminal in kingscross you can check what apt does before it installs.
Thanks for your suggestion sfb,
I tried:
sudo apt install nemo-terminal
but got error:  "unable to locate package nemo-terminal"

however, I noticed on a website that nemo normally uses gnome-terminal to open terminals, so I tried installing this as follows:
sudo apt install gnome-terminal
this succeeded, and a new icon for "Terminal" appeared on the desktop

This terminal seems quite similar to Kings Cross, and even shares the same command history.

Gnome terminal seems to run from Nemo, already cd'd to the current folder when the relevant toolbar icon in Nemo is selected.

Notes:

- I had to go into Nemo's preferences, and click to enable the terminal icon in Nemo's toolbar.

- I also have to quickly swap to landscape orientation on the phone to physically see this icon in the toolbar, or it is not drawn. (It only takes a few moments to select landscape, click the icon, then select portrait again.)

- I also ran the following command before running Nemo, to try to globally make all program dialogs shrink to fit the screen:

gsettings set sm.puri.phoc scale-to-fit true

This seemed helpful in many cases, though not all.

If anyone knows how to make the "open in terminal" option appear in the file menu or something, this would be really helpful??

Regards everyone.
(01-18-2021, 10:20 AM)sfb Wrote:
(01-14-2021, 05:40 AM)rp3 Wrote: Hi, I'm just using the default filemanager included with mobian, and I often would want to quickly start a terminal in the folder I am currently in.

Regards to all!
Thing is, mobian uses kingscross by default. Have ou tried sudo apt install nemo-terminal in kingscross you can check what apt does before it installs.
Maybe you know, but:
1. Why did they choose "KingsCross" as the name, and some road sign (?) as its logo? It took me a while to figure out it's the terminal.
2. What's the practical difference between this and Gnome Terminal, other than KC having a search button on the top left while GT has a tab icon on that spot, and KC being almost not-translated?

I installed Gnome Terminal and marked KingsCross as "Hide=true".
母語は日本語ですが、英語も喋れます(ry
Prolly the same reason Wayland is called Wayland? Only better because King's Cross really is a terminal but Wayland is a town.

(Just guessing)
Like many free software program names, it's a joke for those that understand the background, and an oddly arbitrary name for those that don't. King's Cross station in London is at the southern end of the East Coast Main Line, hence a terminus or terminal station. The icon is like the station name signs on the London Underground.
Long ago I got tired of descriptive names for my software. For a while I used obscure polka lyrics. I had a web server named Purple Cow (and a blogging package for it called Bull Speak) and a MIDI sequencer named Terarrel!

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Errors when start the system kubussz 2 518 11-21-2023, 11:07 AM
Last Post: kubussz
  Auto start application on Phosh login Zebulon Walton 8 3,256 10-14-2023, 06:29 AM
Last Post: alaraajavamma
Sad Chatty can no longer start since the last update anonymous 10 5,280 06-08-2022, 01:03 PM
Last Post: Korac
  Issues with Mobian? Start here. tophneal 0 4,875 04-21-2022, 11:27 AM
Last Post: tophneal
  Reading SMS from the terminal? SocialNetworkingWasAMistake 6 4,419 10-19-2021, 10:01 AM
Last Post: ragreenburg
  after dist-upgrade, terminal is broken nelstomlinson 9 5,743 09-09-2021, 06:47 AM
Last Post: nelstomlinson
  (Gnome) Maps won't start on Mobian? TRS-80 3 3,170 07-11-2021, 12:09 PM
Last Post: TRS-80
  How do you copy and paste into mobian terminal? Do you ssh instead? temp0rary 6 5,111 06-01-2021, 12:16 PM
Last Post: temp0rary
  Session start fails, need to reinstall? Avron 5 4,164 03-24-2021, 10:22 AM
Last Post: Gribouille
  UFW (uncomplicated firewall) Start On Boot - Mobian (working) theD0ctor 2 3,183 02-28-2021, 09:58 PM
Last Post: theD0ctor