WIFI not available after anx7688 update failure
(01-25-2021, 04:56 PM)nas Wrote: It's possible that the firmware issue is a red herring. Not sure how it would disable the wifi/bt chip unless related to power supply somehow? Probably best to file a support ticket to see if they can point you in the right direction at least.
I did file one yesterday, and they suggested me to boot from jumpdrive 0.6

I have now flashed jumpdrive 0.6 onto a SD and booted the phoneinto jumpdrive. I then installed factorytest 0.64.0 on the eMMC using jumpdrive. Booting from eMMC, the automatic test outcome is as before (RTL8723CS
failed). I assume they want me to do some other tests using the jumpdrive version but do not yet know.

My guess is, a rewrite of the rtl8723cs firmware or factory reset of the chip (if it at all exists) would solve the problem. If I only knew how.
I installed Mobian (as suggested by the support), no difference.

Furthermore, I commented on a similar thread (I consider that thread is about the same issue):
https://forum.pine64.org/showthread.php?...126&page=2
Apparently other people has ended up with non-working BT/wifi (for pinetab as well), and the moderator (xalius) clarified that there IS NO separate firmware that needs to be flashed:
*"The wifi module has no permanent storage for it's firmware, the firmware gets uploaded each time the driver loads..."*

I have a valid return ticket so best for me is to return the item. However, it is dissatisfactory as I assume this might still be a software issue somehow, and I *would* like to help out if I could. Then again, I have nothing more to test.
(02-12-2021, 12:58 PM)frimmel Wrote: Apparently other people has ended up with non-working BT/wifi (for pinetab as well), and the moderator (xalius) clarified that there IS NO separate firmware that needs to be flashed:

Another stab in the dark - have you tried flashing a recent factory test image? Just to exclude the remote possibility that the anx firmware needs to be fixed.

Edit: Nevermind, I see you tried that a couple of times so looks like the end of the road.
(02-12-2021, 01:46 PM)nas Wrote:
(02-12-2021, 12:58 PM)frimmel Wrote: Apparently other people has ended up with non-working BT/wifi (for pinetab as well), and the moderator (xalius) clarified that there IS NO separate firmware that needs to be flashed:

Another stab in the dark - have you tried flashing a recent factory test image? Just to exclude the remote possibility that the anx firmware needs to be fixed.

Edit: Nevermind, I see you tried that a couple of times so looks like the end of the road.
I think so. However, as there seem to be more people around with the same problem, it might be beneficial for the developers to learn about the problem? What I mean is, it is unlikely that many BT/WIFI chips just fails. Instead, maybe there is a small design flaw for the mainboard implementation (just as with the OTG) and the sooner developers understands what the problem actually is, the better. I wish I could help out with some tests, that's it.
Have you tried to disable the WiFi and Bluetooth using the DIP switches on the back of the phone before updating the ANX7688 firmware?  You may also try disabling the modem before performing the update.  You can always find the latest ANX7688 firmware blob in Ondrej's firmware repository.

Please note that some users reported issues with the ANX7688 firmware update when running Linux kernel 5.10, so you may want to use kernel 5.9; see also this thread for further information.
I have updated anx7688 several times and the tests says it is OK, and I have now as you suggested tried doing the anx7688 upgrade also with BT/WIFI turned off, however, please explain how this could be related, this I do not understand.

BTW: According to https://wiki.pine64.org/wiki/PinePhone#Method_2 the factory test image even does the anx7688 as part of the tests:
"Method 2
Booting a factory test image will automatically flash the ANX chip. See PinePhone Software Releases#Factory-loaded postmarketOS build for such an image."
In theory, it could be that a failed upgrade of the ANX7688 firmware caused it to become overly "chatty" on the I2C bus, which in turn made the WiFi or the modem confused, or even made further ANX7688 firmware upgrades impossible.  As I said, this is pretty much theoretical, but it's worth a try to remove as many other devices from the I2C bus as possible before attemting one more ANX7688 firmware upgrade.
(02-19-2021, 09:10 AM)dsimic Wrote: In theory, it could be that a failed upgrade of the ANX7688 firmware caused it to become overly "chatty" on the I2C bus, which in turn made the WiFi or the modem confused, or even made further ANX7688 firmware upgrades impossible.  As I said, this is pretty much theoretical, but it's worth a try to remove as many other devices from the I2C bus as possible before attemting one more ANX7688 firmware upgrade.

Aha! Thanks for this explanation, clever thinking - I would not have thought of it myself, beginner as I am.
You're welcome.  Actually, nobody ever stops learning. Smile
Yesterday (after a 4 month delay) I finally got a replacement mainboard. It worked immediately, upgrade on first try, OTG works, all ok. I start to think there was really a hardware issue.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  power circuit can't charge battery and can't supply enough power for modem or wifi vortex 2 471 02-17-2024, 04:15 PM
Last Post: vortex
  bluetooth wifi bugs aular 6 1,395 08-27-2023, 07:53 AM
Last Post: aular
  No wifi/bluetooth on multiple OS's Xxancap15 1 1,091 10-28-2022, 12:10 PM
Last Post: fxc
  Wifi no scan results - Bluetooth adapter not available emsyr 1 1,365 08-29-2022, 02:46 PM
Last Post: emsyr
  Why not Atheros ath9k_htc for wifi? altulke 13 6,545 08-11-2022, 01:01 PM
Last Post: auanta
  Did i break my wifi with the keyboard? captchasolver 5 3,116 02-10-2022, 03:39 PM
Last Post: pothos
  Wifi doesn't respond jmlich 6 4,120 02-04-2022, 06:50 PM
Last Post: bcnaz
  Suddenly WiFi signal strength is poor cinix 4 3,475 09-26-2021, 04:19 PM
Last Post: cinix
  Wifi/BT interface not detected aithal 17 14,614 05-30-2021, 11:10 AM
Last Post: Krasimir
  Fail safe way to update ANX7688 firmware scholbert 24 25,826 04-01-2021, 01:28 PM
Last Post: zborgerd