Is PinePhone good for me?
I write to you from Spain, and I have a few questions about PinePhone. I am a fervent user of linux system, using it daily on my computer. But I'm not an advanced user, and don't have high knowledge about it.

So the question is: I would love to buy PinePhone for me, is it possible with my linux level?

The other question is: are they going  to sell another Manjaro's version again? If not, is the KDE version easy to use? which is the easier OS to use? 

And the ultimate: could I use Whatsapp on it?

Thanks a lot for your attention,

Waiting for your answer.
(12-28-2020, 04:50 PM)Gon Wrote: I write to you from Spain, and I have a few questions about PinePhone. I am a fervent user of linux system, using it daily on my computer. But I'm not an advanced user, and don't have high knowledge about it.

So the question is: I would love to buy PinePhone for me, is it possible with my linux level?

Anyone can buy a PinePhone - mastering it is another question ;-)
( some do sell them again shortly after recieving them )

Did you read and understand the warnings on a shop page about the state of the phone?

Do you know how to flash a SD card ? The Phone can boot with any OS of your choice from SD.

(12-28-2020, 04:50 PM)Gon Wrote: The other question is: are they going  to sell another Manjaro's version again? If not, is the KDE version easy to use? which is the easier OS to use? 

The KDE phone is actually a Manjaro phone with KDE (Plasma-mobile) user interface.
The previous one was a Manjaro phone with Phosh user interface.

(12-28-2020, 04:50 PM)Gon Wrote: And the ultimate: could I use Whatsapp on it?

No idea. Generally there are _very_ few apps available now - it is mostly a basic phone for now.
(12-28-2020, 04:50 PM)Gon Wrote: I write to you from Spain, and I have a few questions about PinePhone. I am a fervent user of linux system, using it daily on my computer. But I'm not an advanced user, and don't have high knowledge about it.

yup.

(12-28-2020, 04:50 PM)Gon Wrote: The other question is: are they going  to sell another Manjaro's version again?
No idea.

(12-28-2020, 04:50 PM)Gon Wrote: The other question is: If not, is the KDE version easy to use?
Depends on your definition of "easy".

(12-28-2020, 04:50 PM)Gon Wrote: The other question is: which is the easier OS to use? 
Again, depends on your definition of "easy".
Because finding something easy is never based on a scientific fact, always based on first hand experience.

Also depends on what you want to use the Pinephone for.
Daily driver? Either Mobian or Arch, although it seems like Manjaro is catching up too.
Even then, you'll need to be able to self configure and tweak many things before you can use it exclusively.
Perhaps you never will use it exclusively, or maybe you will very quickly, it depends on how you define what a smartphone is, because a Linux phone is not a smartphone, it's a small PC in your pocket with phone functionality.
Think PC as a phone, not phone as a PC.

(12-28-2020, 04:50 PM)Gon Wrote: And the ultimate: could I use Whatsapp on it?
nope.
母語は日本語ですが、英語も喋れます(ry
great friends! I think that your answers help me a lot. I'm thinking about using PinePhone like the only phone (-pc) to use. The only thing is, that using whatsapp is important for me for my job, but surely I'll find something similar.

Thanks a lot for helping me.

The other question is: are they going  to sell another Manjaro's version again? If not, is the KDE version easy to use? which is the easier OS to use? 

And the ultimate: could I use Whatsapp on it?

Thanks a lot for your attention,

Waiting for your answer.
If you have to ask then it probably isn't probably isn't what you want yet, but keep watching to see when the software gets good enough. If you don't need to use it as a reliable phone, accept that some things won't work properly yet, and would like to use it to learn more about linux, then it might be for you.

Don't worry about the 'version' - just get the latest when you want it as it will have the most recent hardware fixes. You can install any of the OS flavours on any hardware version, and the factory firmware will be out of date by the time the phone arrives. The 'versions' haven't repeated yet, but might do when they've gone through all the available phone distros. If you want to support one in particular then you can make a donation.

Someone might eventually get Whatsapp working in Anbox or similar, but so far as I know it hasn't happened yet. People have managed to install it, but it won't run properly.
I wouldn't recommend eating a pinephone, it will be very difficult to digest
(12-29-2020, 01:33 PM)wibble Wrote:
Quote:If you have to ask then it probably isn't probably isn't what you want yet, but keep watching to see when the software gets good enough. If you don't need to use it as a reliable phone, accept that some things won't work properly yet, and would like to use it to learn more about linux, then it might be for you.

Don't worry about the 'version' - just get the latest when you want it as it will have the most recent hardware fixes. You can install any of the OS flavours on any hardware version, and the factory firmware will be out of date by the time the phone arrives. The 'versions' haven't repeated yet, but might do when they've gone through all the available phone distros. If you want to support one in particular then you can make a donation.

Someone might eventually get Whatsapp working in Anbox or similar, but so far as I know it hasn't happened yet. People have managed to install it, but it won't run properly.

ok thanks for your input, it helps me
(12-29-2020, 03:39 PM)hiimtye Wrote: I wouldn't recommend eating a pinephone, it will be very difficult to digest

hahahaha I guess
(12-29-2020, 03:39 PM)hiimtye Wrote: I wouldn't recommend eating a pinephone, it will be very difficult to digest
We have a world of 64 pines, raspberry pies, orange pies, and apples.
Only the apples are a bit expensive and limited.(便乗)
母語は日本語ですが、英語も喋れます(ry
the apples are far too pricey in my opinion. it reminds me of a meme I saw a while ago about the labour theory of value.

thatll be 200 dollars for your pizza
why so much?
it took me two days to make it
its a **ing pizza

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  PinePhone - boot from microSD laserpyramid 5 307 03-06-2024, 06:37 PM
Last Post: aular
  Are you using the Pinephone as your daily driver? jro 157 105,209 02-18-2024, 11:33 PM
Last Post: aular
  2020 PinePhone Manjaro CE EU for sale, name your price astrojuanlu 7 1,528 02-14-2024, 04:51 PM
Last Post: astrojuanlu
  pinephone is not bootble for the box. ijij 1 464 01-19-2024, 01:29 PM
Last Post: fxc
  Multiple issues with the Pinephone MTXP 12 1,946 12-28-2023, 07:55 AM
Last Post: MTXP
  pinephone repair shop shengchieh 0 385 12-26-2023, 02:42 PM
Last Post: shengchieh
  sudo nano file saving pinephone beta edition CharlesGnarley 4 1,483 12-22-2023, 03:44 PM
Last Post: Kevin Kofler
  Can't get Mobian on PinePhone to recognise USB-C docking bar duncan_bayne 9 6,611 12-04-2023, 02:14 AM
Last Post: Peter Gamma
  Pinephone not booting, always vibrating alexander12 7 4,676 11-22-2023, 06:46 PM
Last Post: Scary Guy
  Pinephone on Verizon chachi 3 995 10-09-2023, 11:26 AM
Last Post: alaraajavamma