Hot when charging
I received my PinePhone and was super happy.  Then I went to charge it up and it gets super hot.  Not warm, but hot.  This is just within a couple of minutes or so.  I have never charged it all the way or even put my sim card in as I don't know if it can be used getting so incredibility hot.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.  I don't know it I need to send back for an exchange or there is a reason for this intense heating up.  Thankyou
updating your system should resolve it. most distros use megi's kernel, which limits both the capacity that they will charge to, and I believe the charging voltage, but don't quote me on that.

at any rate, the kernel addresses heating issues with the default batteries
(12-28-2020, 05:05 PM)hiimtye Wrote: updating your system should resolve it. most distros use megi's kernel, which limits both the capacity that they will charge to, and I believe the charging voltage, but don't quote me on that.

at any rate, the kernel addresses heating issues with the default batteries
Thank you for the suggestion.  I am a total newbie to all this.  I have tried looking through all settings and even brought up Lollypop and nothing shows, Upgrade or Update.  If someone could direct me in the correct direction to do an update it would be much appreciated.  Thankyou
I am assuming Manjaro, so in terminal type:

sudo pacman -Syu
any Arch spinoff (including Manjaro) uses pacman
Code:
sudo pacman -Syu
any debian spinoff (including UBPorts) uses apt
Code:
sudo apt-get update; sudo apt-get upgrade
pmOS uses apk
Code:
sudo apk -U upgrade
depending on which Pinephone you received
(12-29-2020, 06:21 AM)rocket2nfinity Wrote: I am assuming Manjaro, so in terminal type:

sudo pacman -Syu
Thank you for the reply.  I typed the above in and received the following:
[sudo] password for manjaro:

not sure what password it needs.
(12-29-2020, 03:37 PM)hiimtye Wrote: any Arch spinoff (including Manjaro) uses pacman
Code:
sudo pacman -Syu
any debian spinoff (including UBPorts) uses apt
Code:
sudo apt-get update; sudo apt-get upgrade
pmOS uses apk
Code:
sudo apk -U upgrade
depending on which Pinephone you received

UBports has the main partition read only because they don't recommend using apt, so to upgrade with apt you need to umount -o remount,rw /

(12-30-2020, 04:46 AM)ADGW Wrote:
(12-29-2020, 06:21 AM)rocket2nfinity Wrote: I am assuming Manjaro, so in terminal type:

sudo pacman -Syu
Thank you for the reply.  I typed the above in and received the following:
[sudo] password for manjaro:

not sure what password it needs.

Usually it's the pin number you log into the phone's lock screen.
(12-30-2020, 04:46 AM)ADGW Wrote: not sure what password it needs.
Password = pass code.
So if you're using for example 1234 to unlock the screen, your password will be 1234.
If you change it the PIN to 9876, password will also become 9876.
母語は日本語ですが、英語も喋れます(ry
Well, when I put in the password it definitely started to do the upgrade.  Then it came up with the following:

error: failed to update core (unable to lock database)
error: failed to update extra (unable to lock database)
error: failed to update community (unable to lock database)
error: failed to synchronize all databases

Then it started to buzz.  I mean it almost sounded like a toy airplane buzz sound or something.  I thought that was strange so I turned it off and waited a couple of minutes.  No more buzzing.  I tried the update again and this time no buzz, but it said all the above again.  
I really appreciate all your help.  Looks like i need more help please.  Thank you.
(12-31-2020, 11:25 AM)ADGW Wrote: Well, when I put in the password it definitely started to do the upgrade.  Then it came up with the following:

error: failed to update core (unable to lock database)
error: failed to update extra (unable to lock database)
error: failed to update community (unable to lock database)
error: failed to synchronize all databases

Then it started to buzz.  I mean it almost sounded like a toy airplane buzz sound or something.  I thought that was strange so I turned it off and waited a couple of minutes.  No more buzzing.  I tried the update again and this time no buzz, but it said all the above again.  
I really appreciate all your help.  Looks like i need more help please.  Thank you.
Type

sudo rm /var/lib/pacman/db.lck

Then

sudo pacman -Syu

However, the buzzing has me concerned. Don't ever recall it doing that on mine.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  PinePhone Doesn't Boot LED Doesn't Show Any Signs When Charging dorkydev 1 200 04-02-2024, 11:50 AM
Last Post: Kevin Kofler
  WIRELESS CHARGING ADD-ON CASE Fred Zyphal 4 2,537 08-28-2022, 05:17 PM
Last Post: Fred Zyphal
  Charging the phone while it is off orbital 1 1,200 07-05-2022, 12:19 AM
Last Post: biketool
  Mobile case wanted - with wireless charging! thorensjubilee 4 2,852 03-19-2022, 10:29 AM
Last Post: vap0rtranz
  docking bar limits charging rate? nelstomlinson 5 4,166 08-11-2021, 11:13 AM
Last Post: nelstomlinson
  battery and charging submariner 4 4,074 03-01-2021, 12:16 PM
Last Post: theD0ctor
  Plasma Mobile CE Pinephone - battery not fully charging PineSupporter 11 10,699 02-09-2021, 11:20 AM
Last Post: PineSupporter
  Latest PinePhone CE Manjaro - Charging issues: hardware or software? kern707 5 4,789 11-20-2020, 12:09 AM
Last Post: bcnaz
  Pinephone not charging and not powering up gab 10 12,751 04-20-2020, 08:53 AM
Last Post: Bates132
  PinePhone Not Charging. blicken 3 7,277 02-11-2020, 11:23 PM
Last Post: bcnaz