Beta support: MMS on chatty/mmsd on Modem Manager - help/testing wanted!
(02-19-2021, 08:35 AM)blendergeek Wrote:
(02-18-2021, 08:46 AM)Alkop316 Wrote: If anyone wants to take a look at the reference implimentation, I posted it here:

https://source.puri.sm/kop316/chatty/-/t...mm-account

I cannot overemphasize this, THIS IS BETA! Do not expect to be able to compile it and expect it to work flawlessly. There still is work needed to integrate it into chatty and make it ready for day to day use.

I also refactored all of the mmsd patches so they are not all over the place. Everything should work the same, but if not, let me know.

Thank you so much for all the work you have put into this!

I use pmOS. Will I be able to use the existing merge request over at pmaports to build the latest mmsd for phone? Or do I need something different with the latest patches?

Also, is it possible that I will be able to return to "stock" Chatty at some future date without reinstalling? (I know I would lose my SMS history. I'm okay with that).

Also, I can't wait to try this out and use it as my daily driver (I know it isn't release quality yet but I currently download my MMS by hand so anything is better than what I have right now.) ! I will be sure to report all the bugs I come across so that this can be gradually improved.

PS: Where should I report bugs if I find them?
> Thank you so much for all the work you have put into this!

Thank you!

> I use pmOS. Will I be able to use the existing merge request over at pmaports to build the latest mmsd for phone? Or do I need something different with the latest patches?
I think the existing merge request is a bit behind my latest patches. Check with Craftyguy and unrznbl on the pmOS chat to see the status on it (I think they are modifying the ptaches so it is simpler).

> Also, is it possible that I will be able to return to "stock" Chatty at some future date without reinstalling? (I know I would lose my SMS history. I'm okay with that).
I know on Mobian it is as simple as reinstalling the chatty app from apt. It should be similar for pmOS

> Where should I report bugs if I find them?
If there is a bug on mmsd, please file an issue here: https://source.puri.sm/kop316/mmsd/

Feel free to contact me on Matrix or on here in either case though! I am on the Mobian and pmOS matrix chats.
I went through the reference implementation you posted and got chatty to install properly. The biggest difficulty was running ninja -C build for chatty, I got a lot of errors like this:

Code:
/usr/bin/ld: src/chatty.p/chatty-folks.c.o:/home/mobian/chatty/build/../src/chatty-folks.h:27: multiple definition of `e_folks_modes'; src/chatty.p/chatty-conversation.c.o:/home/mobian/chatty/build/../src/chatty-folks.h:27: first defined here

I fixed the errors by appending the word 'extern' to the functions listed in the error messages and the command worked. For example:

Code:
vim /home/mobian/chatty/build/../src/chatty-folks.h
enum {
//code 
} e_folks_modes;

becomes

Code:
extern enum {
// code
} e_folks_modes;

I also built and installed the SMS plugin, carbos plugin, and libfeedback plug
I created a desktop file for the new Chatty and clicked on the new icon to launch it:

Code:
mobian@mobian: cat ~/.local/share/applications/chattyMMS.desktop
[Desktop Entry]
Exec=/home/mobian/chatty/build/src/chatty
Type=Application
Name=chattyMMS
Icon=/home/mobian/.local/share/applications/mms.png

However, I'm still not able to receive images or emojis, and I tried running the new Chatty with wifi, then with only 4G, then I tried toggling between the four Verizon APNs listed (something like verizoniw, verizon internet, Verizon, and something else). I noticed I could send emojis but I don't remember if I could do that in Chatty previously or not. Each provider seems to be different so I wanted to post my experience and see if anyone has similar issues. Thank you for all your hard work!
I wanted to give this a run as mms is the only thing holding me back from using my pinephone as a daily driver. I gave it a shot on Mobian using the guide on their wiki,. Everything compiled and seemed to install fine. After I though I had everything completed I figured I would see if I could receive an mms sent to multiple phones, and it didn't go through. I did some more testing and it seems that I somehow broke modemmanager. As of right now I can only send sms. I can no longer receive them. I checked mmcli -m 0 --messaging-list-sms just to see if anything was held up, but the only output was sent messages.
(02-20-2021, 05:41 PM)JimSmith80 Wrote: I wanted to give this a run as mms is the only thing holding me back from using my pinephone as a daily driver. I gave it a shot on Mobian using the guide on their wiki,. Everything compiled and seemed to install fine. After I though I had everything completed I figured I would see if I could receive an mms sent to multiple phones, and it didn't go through. I did some more testing and it seems that I somehow broke modemmanager. As of right now I can only send sms. I can no longer receive them. I checked mmcli -m 0 --messaging-list-sms just to see if anything was held up, but the only output was sent messages.

Sending hasn't really worked yet. Although I have an implementation for it in the chatty protocol, it needs integration work.
(02-20-2021, 06:01 PM)kop316 Wrote:
(02-20-2021, 05:41 PM)JimSmith80 Wrote: I wanted to give this a run as mms is the only thing holding me back from using my pinephone as a daily driver. I gave it a shot on Mobian using the guide on their wiki,. Everything compiled and seemed to install fine. After I though I had everything completed I figured I would see if I could receive an mms sent to multiple phones, and it didn't go through. I did some more testing and it seems that I somehow broke modemmanager. As of right now I can only send sms. I can no longer receive them. I checked mmcli -m 0 --messaging-list-sms just to see if anything was held up, but the only output was sent messages.

Sending hasn't really worked yet. Although I have an implementation for it in the chatty protocol, it needs integration work.
Ok cool. Seems like it all went together fine then. I'll keep playing around with it. Thanks for all your effort on this.
In case folks are wondering what I have been up to, it really boils down to waiting right now. I submitted my patches both to chatty and mmsd.

On the chatty side, the dev has been great to work with, but he has a higher priority now before he can start work on MMS integration.

On the mmsd side, I have attempted to contact the ofono maintainers through IRC and through the Mailing List. I heard a response once from them (before I tried to upstream changes), and they mentioned that mmsd hasn't been worked on in 8 years. When I tried to submit my patches, I did not recieve any response through the mailing list or through IRC. If anyone has experience upstreaming changes for ofono (or knows how I could get a response from them), some help would be appreciated on this.
(02-27-2021, 07:03 AM)kop316 Wrote: In case folks are wondering what I have been up to, it really boils down to waiting right now. I submitted my patches both to chatty and mmsd.

On the chatty side, the dev has been great to work with, but he has a higher priority now before he can start work on MMS integration.

On the mmsd side, I have attempted to contact the ofono maintainers through IRC and through the Mailing List. I heard a response once from them (before I tried to upstream changes), and they mentioned that mmsd hasn't been worked on in 8 years. When I tried to submit my patches, I did not recieve any response through the mailing list or through IRC. If anyone has experience upstreaming changes for ofono (or knows how I could get a response from them), some help would be appreciated on this.

Sounds like the package has been abandon by the creator. That said couldn't you submit a fork of the original for consideration? I'm no expert in these matters, so I'm just asking.
(02-27-2021, 10:22 PM)JimSmith80 Wrote:
(02-27-2021, 07:03 AM)kop316 Wrote: In case folks are wondering what I have been up to, it really boils down to waiting right now. I submitted my patches both to chatty and mmsd.

Sounds like the package has been abandon by the creator. That said couldn't you submit a fork of the original for consideration? I'm no expert in these matters, so I'm just asking.
I don't know who I would contact to do that though. As of now my repository does stand on it's own as a fork, and I already submitted it for Debian packaging.
You don't need permission, mate.  Wink 

In fact, it sounds like you have already taken the appropriate steps...

I appreciate the fact you seem to have manners and don't want to step on anyone's toes, but as people said it seems abandoned (or at minimum, you have not as yet received a response through appropriate channels).  If anyone gets back to you later, you can always start working together to reconcile things, but in the meantime the world keeps turning...
Cheers,
TRS-80

What is Free Software and why is it so important for society?

Protocols, not Platforms

For the most Linux-y experience on your Linux phone, try SXMO!

I am (nominally) the Armbian Maintainer for PineBook Pro (although severely lacking in time these days).
(03-03-2021, 10:42 AM)TRS-80 Wrote: You don't need permission, mate.  Wink 

In fact, it sounds like you have already taken the appropriate steps...

I appreciate the fact you seem to have manners and don't want to step on anyone's toes, but as people said it seems abandoned (or at minimum, you have not as yet received a response through appropriate channels).  If anyone gets back to you later, you can always start working together to reconcile things, but in the meantime the world keeps turning...

Yep, I agree! My repository is stand alone, and if people find things to fix, I will incorporate it still.

But like i said before, right now I really don't have much to do but wait. I still need to wait for the Chatty Dev as well to start incorporating my changes into Chatty, then it will have MMS support.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What File Manager Options Are There For The Pinephone? pinephoneuser22 7 2,285 10-18-2023, 08:37 AM
Last Post: luppivega
  A/B testing or Unit testing gulshan212 0 885 08-29-2023, 03:36 AM
Last Post: gulshan212
  Article: NuttX RTOS for PinePhone: 4G LTE Modem lupyuen 2 1,520 04-10-2023, 10:19 PM
Last Post: lupyuen
  changing from bullseye to bookworm to install mmsd-tng jyoung 8 2,852 04-09-2023, 06:08 PM
Last Post: zetabeta
Sad Modem is always visible/connected but stops working after a while dante404 6 3,036 11-08-2022, 09:12 AM
Last Post: dante404
  Downsides of the open-source modem firmware? alpineduck 4 2,559 10-25-2022, 05:28 PM
Last Post: Zebulon Walton
  Pinephone: OpenGL support? orbital 2 2,173 08-25-2022, 04:09 PM
Last Post: vortex
  Latest firmware for PinePhone modem! Subsentient 104 127,887 07-20-2022, 05:32 AM
Last Post: zetabeta
  Which PP OS currently has the best podcast support? kujo_marble 3 2,007 07-14-2022, 07:09 AM
Last Post: tophneal
  Help wanted: location of calls and chatty data files dukla2000 3 4,599 06-13-2022, 02:01 PM
Last Post: israel